So actual battery life for the new Air isn't anything like the advertised specs, huh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by pickaxe, Jun 22, 2013.

1. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

People are reporting about 5 hours on the 11' and 8-8.5 hours on the '13. That's not even close to those "miraculous" times reported by Apple and tech reviewers. What's up with that?

Not trying to spread FUD but it does seem like real-world stats are vastly different than Apple's claims.

2. Reksy macrumors member

Im sure it varies based on usage/screen brightness. I dont think anyone was dumb enough to expect 12 hours at max cpu/brightness lol

3. MacAttackMark macrumors member

haha I agree, but still 8 hours is still pretty good in my opinion. Then again I'm barely getting 2 hours on my inspirion so anything is a huge improvement lol.

4. Appledreamer macrumors member

it all depends what you do when using it and what your settings and spec is, i certainly have been getting 12 hours plus outta mine!! no problem, i normally charge mine up at the end of every 2nd day at night before i sleep. that is good in my eyes. last laptop lasted one hour.

As i say, you can not compare this really as you and i and the rest will all be different. I think if YOU want 12 hours, you can certainly get that no problem.

thanks

5. pickaxe thread starter macrumors 6502a

So you have honestly been getting 12 hours of USAGE out of the 13 inch? That's great to know (I'll be getting mine soon). I'm just not fine with people going "well yeah but 8 hours is still a lot" because if it should be around 12 hours, a 33% drop is unacceptable.

6. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Apple never claimed 12 hours. They claimed "up to 12 hours," and stated further that "Battery life varies by use and configuration."

7. bp1000 macrumors 65816

People who report poor battery life also don't understand how to use activity monitor and keep checks on their CPU usage.

8. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

I've been getting around 13 hours on my 13". It all depends on what you are doing an all the strain that you put on the components.

I've been only doing light work and watching an occasional 20 minute youtube video.

I only recharge the battery every other day, my last session lasted 4 hrs and the battery went down from 20% to 6%. What else can I ask for when my machine is giving me 4 hours of work per 14% of battery?

Sometime I even get readings a little bit higher than 20 hours. Right now I am at 65% and is marking me 11:53 hrs remaining. Pretty sick! :)

9. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

Some of the mavericks CPU saving features will surly help too

10. curtoise macrumors 6502a

13 hours non stop using the computer? or 13 hours leaving the computer idle for periods of time?

11. DblEGT macrumors member

That 13 hrs is SICK !!! Cant wait to get mine on tuesday!!!!!

12. curtoise macrumors 6502a

We need to know if this Is non stop use and he is getting 13 hours, if that is correct, I'm going to the store now and I'll buy 3 of them and I can get 39 hours non stop. ;)

13. SprSynJn Guest

The iPhone never gets what was advertised unless you use it only for messaging. I'd expect the same for their computers as well.

14. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Your house is going to made out of MacBooks, Curtoise.

15. mattferg macrumors 6502

I easily get 12 hours with light web browsing on my 13. Estimated time is almost always wrong but I always get just about 12 hours.

16. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

my iphone 5 battery totally sucks. i get maybe 5 hrs if i'm lucky. I get 8-9hrs if i just let it sit there doing nothing. :mad:

Which is why I was thinking of getting a Mophie battery pack. But that's throwing more $$ on the dam thing

17. flight macrumors regular

I haven't performed a full drain yet, but I've had it for a week now and I'm getting one to two days use per charge (draining down to ~20% and charging back up to 90-95%). I think Apple is accurate with their advertised battery life.

I mainly browse the web at half-brightness and don't have Flash installed.

18. jshmathias macrumors newbie

If you search it, there is a real time MBA 11' battery life test thread, if you read through there, multiple people are getting bigger numbers than what apple said. Like people are saying it depends on your config.

19. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

My (2012) rMBP gets about 7 hours for web browsing, email and similar tasks with the screen brightness one below halfway. Watching videos in XBMC would drop that to about 4 hours. This is what Apple claims for it, so I have no trouble believing their claims for the Haswells. You're not going to get 12 hours of photo-editing and (certainly not) video rendering.

20. curtoise macrumors 6502a

I'm the one that did all the tests on the i5 and i7 and posted all the images and results last week.

Non stop use will not give you what Apple said.

Normal use with sleeping times, breaks, Idle times and light browsing can give you a couple of days without a charge.

21. Appledreamer macrumors member

you make me laugh, off course it is, think about it, its far better then last years, i never bought last years model cause of the heat and noise and the battery life was ****.

i have bought the new one last week, the fan has not even been on once. and i get 2 days outta my battery. thanks. if your not getting this maybe you should take your machine back

22. curtoise macrumors 6502a

48 hours of non stop battery use?

23. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Yep, it is far better because you and apple say it is ...... :rolleyes:

24. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Probably more like 2 days of on and off use, total.

So far I've been getting 11.5-12 hours on my 13 inch MBA, with regular use (web browser, IMAP idle e-mail open, twitter app, watching some occasional streaming videos or working on an office doc).

If I work the system ahrder, like running batch photoshop jobs or editing an audio file, then yes, the battery life goes down quite a bit, bit that is to be expected.

25. falconeight Guest

falconeight

The battery is as described. Until the fan kicks on and you really work it. Then it lessens.....drastically.