Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
...only the basic model, but I absolutely love it! After using it for only a few hours there is no way I'm going back to a PC; Mac has everything I have ever wanted.

Definitely a worthwhile purchase :)

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
I've also got the entry level model (although I bought it when it first came out so it's only 2.0 Ghz) and I absolutely love mine as well. To those who complain about the screen quality, you need to give your head a shake.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
...only the basic model, but I absolutely love it! After using it for only a few hours there is no way I'm going back to a PC; Mac has everything I have ever wanted.

It's almost like a drug. It should come with a warning label "Apple products can be habit forming. Laboratory tests have found repeated usage causes Fanboy syndrome in mice."

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
It's almost like a drug. It should come with a warning label "Apple products can be habit forming. Laboratory tests have found repeated usage causes Fanboy syndrome in mice."

The funny thing is that some people don't understand why Apple fanboyism exists in the first place...it's simple: we have the best machines, the best design, the best construction quality, the best customer service and the best OS; it's a natural consequence to become a fanboy...and PC users are finally realizing that as well... :rolleyes:

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Well, Ivan my boy, I'm sure you've entered a fanboy heart or two hereabouts. I'd love to adopt you myself but I already have a brood. If you get any offers fom these gehrbox or BRLawyer guys I suggest you stay away. Far away. They sound dangerous.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008

Welcome! I have the basic model as well. Works great even for Hi-Definition video editing.

Be careful though. Apple products tend to multiply very quickly in your household. :)

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
One Of Us!
One Of Us!
One Of Us!

...oh, pardon me. :D

Entry-level iMac owner here (same 20" 2.0GHz as ClassicBean's), and I still feel the same way about my Mac as you apparently feel right now.

So... is this your first Apple product, or did you have another Apple product that led you to consider a Mac (the fabled "halo effect")? Count me in the "halo effect" camp; my iPod nano's elegance led me to give serious consideration to the Mac lineup.

EDIT: I see the iPod touch in your signature. Halo effect it is, then.

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
What's equally remarkable is that the fanboy'ism doesn't wear off! It actually get's worse with time...

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
:apple: JOIN US :apple: IT'S MUCH EASIER IF YOU DON'T RESIST :apple:

I'm an entry-level iMac switcher too- pre-update from the end of March. This weekend was my nephew's tenth birthday and I've been knocking up videos in iMovie- I freaking love this machine.

I always laughed at the "multiplying Mac's" syndrome but it's true! I'm already eyeing up either an Apple TV or a Mac Mini to replace my HTPC and thinking which iPod to buy next (had a 5G for about 3 or 4 years now).

Enjoy your iMac- hope you get as much fun out of it as I am with mine.

pb125

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2007
haha yup, same one here too (2.0) but in order to increase my mac-ego i upped the ram to 4gb. Congrats on the new imac

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
You know I honestly thought before I bought my iMac that I would find all the hype about macs an overstatement. I mean I've read all the negative stuff about vista on this site and to be honest as someone who at that time was using vista I thought that people were being over critical. So I thought that people were probably being over complementary about OSX. While I still think that the criticism of vista is overstated, OSX is truly everything that everyone was saying it is. Too be honest after a few weeks of using OSX I can honestly say I would never go back.

GrouchoDuke

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
...only the basic model,
I got sick of waiting for a mini refresh & brought home an iMac today too - basic model. I plan on a 4GB update soon.

I plugged in a 22" Samsung 1680x1050 LCD before my first boot & it spread the desktop to it right away. I just got done installing all the system updates. Xcode is next. Looks great so far.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
You know I honestly thought before I bought my iMac that I would find all the hype about macs an overstatement. I mean I've read all the negative stuff about vista on this site and to be honest as someone who at that time was using vista I thought that people were being over critical. So I thought that people were probably being over complementary about OSX. While I still think that the criticism of vista is overstated, OSX is truly everything that everyone was saying it is. Too be honest after a few weeks of using OSX I can honestly say I would never go back.
Totally agree. I think Vista is good but OSX is better. The thing I really like the most is the speed. Everything is zippy. Web pages in Safari come up almost before I click the mouse. :)

QuoteMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2008
I'm about to buy it but at the store they told me to get the one with 2GB, I don't know if is worth the money cause it looks I will do fine with the 1GB I basically use the internet, upload pictures and listen to musice (i-tunes), thanks for your quote, is good to know that the low end worked for someone cause it looks that is my best option.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I use mine basically for the internet, iTunes, Mail, Windows Messenger and Pages...1GB of memory and it's still amazingly fast.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
Buy the 1GB version, if you need more you can get a 2GB stick for $20, like I did. Installing is unscrewing a panel, clicking it in, and screwing the panel back in. :D

ckurowic

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
I've also got the entry level model (although I bought it when it first came out so it's only 2.0 Ghz) and I absolutely love mine as well. To those who complain about the screen quality, you need to give your head a shake.

Indeed. The screen quality is top notch.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I'm about to buy it but at the store they told me to get the one with 2GB, I don't know if is worth the money cause it looks I will do fine with the 1GB I basically use the internet, upload pictures and listen to musice (i-tunes), thanks for your quote, is good to know that the low end worked for someone cause it looks that is my best option.
Don't buy the 2 GB version. Upgrading yourself is much cheaper.

radesousa

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
I'm baaack! My last post was Feb 9 when I wrote I was going to buy an iMac. Well, when I heard Apple was going to update their iMac line I waited... and waited.... and waited... until May when it finally happened! I bought a 20" iMac (2.66ghz Intel CPU, 2gb RAM, 320gb hard drive) and I couldn't be happier. I've also installed Windows XP with Boot Camp and it's up and running. My only gripe is when I use the "sleep" option it doesn't stay asleep. Any hints? BTW, this is my first Mac and Apple computer. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.