So after much deliberation, its impossible to natively change search prov. in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by duelingdragons, Feb 25, 2008.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Not ALL of us want to use Google as our primary search function.

I really wanted to make the switch from FF on my Mac, but this is hindering me from using Safari.

All I want to do is change the default provider to Wikipedia...
    I've tried a couple external pieces of software, but none really worked.

Is it such a difficult thing to ask for? =(

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I know it is very stupid to limit it to google.com (after all America ≠ world)

Anyway what software did you try there are a few alternatives such as acid search and sogudi that allow you to configure the search capabilities of safari.

3. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

I tried Acid Search, but for some reason I couldn't add Wikipedia as a search engine. No one recommended Sogudi, but upon checking it out, it seems pretty interesting. Maybe I'll give that a shot!

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Unfortunately, it's hard-coded into the application, so not really practical to change without something like Sogudi.

However, personally I never use the search bar in either Safari, Firefox or Omniweb (which also has an editable search box FWIW).

I find it far more flexible to use the built-in wikipedia, imdb, google or whatever search I need in Launchbar (or Quicksilver if you prefer). It then launches in my default browser (Omniweb) Just a thought....

5. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmmm, ok. So I tried using Sogudi, but I don't see an option to change the default provider. =(

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

You could use Inquisitor, add the search engine you want to the list, and use the "return" shortcut for that entry, which would sort of give you what you want (Inquisitors live search results would still be Google or Yahoo, the two fixed options it gives you).

Launchbar as tersono suggested is also an excellent product.