So again Congress refuses to do its job again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Feb 23, 2016.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Well they are proven again they are pretty much unless now they refuse to even look at a judge nomination. Talk about terrified of getting a judge who would not be as conservative as they are. What happens if a Democrat becomes president? They going to keep refusing?

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

3. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Undoubtedly the team sport currently tied at 4-4.

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Sad. Truly sad. Or petty, petulant, or whatever.

Only makes things look better for the Democrats in general, and even outsider candidates like Sanders and Trump (alphabetical order). If people can't see why or need to ask, they've not paid attention for 7 years. Or 35, it depends on the issue at hand. :p

5. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

In the news the committee that does judicial nominations said they will refuse to do anything if Obama nominates a judge. I can't find the story till I get home but it was on regular news.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I thought McConnell established that day after Scalia choked it.

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

It's all over the news. Anyone who claims to not know what you are talking about isn't watching any news channels. I would love it if trump gets the nomination and people go nuts, elect a democrat and then start electing dems back into congress and confirm the youngest, liberal judge ever. Not gonna happen but it would be funny.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

9. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

it was made official now. useless congress but to give tax breaks to large corporations.

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

And the same goes for Republicans, they wouldn't dream of holding off for an election.

11. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

YAWN:
    POTUS: White House: Obama 'regrets' decision to filibuster Supreme Court Justice Alito

VP: Joe Biden says in 1992 that the president shouldn’t name a SCOTUS nominee “once the political season is underway”

VP: “If someone steps down, I would highly recommend the president not name someone, not send a name up,” Biden said. “If he {Bush} did send someone up, I would ask the Senate to seriously consider not having a hearing on that nominee.”

Senator Chuck Shumer: During a speech at a convention of the American Constitution Society in July 2007, Schumer said if any new Supreme Court vacancies opened up, Democrats should not allow Bush the chance to fill it “except in extraordinary circumstances.”

“We should reverse the presumption of confirmation,” Schumer said, according to Politico. “The Supreme Court is dangerously out of balance. We cannot afford to see Justice Stevens replaced by another Roberts, or Justice Ginsburg by another Alito.” During the same speech, Schumer lamented that he hadn’t managed to block Bush’s prior Supreme Court nominations.

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

13. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

This falls squarely on Hussein.

The great divider repeatedly and viciously attacks Republicans. Declaring they're the enemy or words to that effect, he has created his own toxic karma. Cooperation isn't in his lexicon.

That he wants cooperation and forward movement on this issue is proof of his ongoing delusional thinking.

14. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

see a recommendation verses actually happening a bit of a different thing there.

15. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

If you can't be bothered to post a short précis of what the video contains, I can't be bothered to watch it.

16. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

right all oboma that must be why congress refuses to do their job spoiled rotten children I guess.

17. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Payback is a cast-iron bitch. I'm loving this.

18. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

right that makes perfect sense NOT like comparing oranges to a tennis ball it is. sorry but the lame duck congress just got his head chopped off and is ready to be stewed in it's own bile.

19. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Is there a secret decoder ring I should have to understand that? Isn't Obama the "lame duck?".

20. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

nope congress is seems you missed the news stories about the most useless congress in recent history. of course it was all oboma's fault it always is.

21. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Ah. Well that explains it.

22. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Even though I am Republican, I do see this as petty. Obama has a job, let him do it, then do yours.

I can see the opposing side though. First, it's not like the Supreme Court can't function with a seat down, they've functioned with less. Second, Obama could sit back and respect the President coming in and let them decide so they can set forth their plan.

It does go both ways. The bickering doesn't help the country, our government has become a soap opera and we let them get away with it because we find it entertaining. All the while, we are barely represented.

23. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

The way you deal with a bully is to smack him around rather than knuckle under. The Democrats have repeatedly acted as bullies when it came to replacing a Supreme Court justice--trying to force Republicans to do their bidding.

This isn't petty, it's standing up for what's right. Since the Dems refuse to act in a civilized manner, and since giving them their way will only harm America, Republicans have NO choice on this matter.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If no-one had stepped down by late June then at that point the nomination would, at the earliest, hit in early September, with confirmation perhaps in late September/early October. That would be close to the election.

So basically that would argue that if Obama nominated a very liberal judge that would be an issue.