So am I stupid? Are "we" stupid?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphonehype, Sep 13, 2013.

1. iphonehype macrumors 6502

So I just read this article.

Watch the video, if you cant be bothered reading it. Watch the video here

So I am planning to queue for the 5S in Grey 32GB costing £629/$998

Now....I have the iPhone 5, if anyone upgrading paying for the SIM FREE option are we stupid?

In all honestly its just a touch sensor, everything is is just a bump of what already the iPhone 5 has.

It just made me think, if I am spending all that money. I have an iPhone 5, looks the same. Are Apple fooling me/us?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Better question is, is that sensor worth the price of upgrading to you?

3. iphonehype thread starter macrumors 6502

In all honesty? If you look at it like that no. Thing is like most on here I am a tech guy. I love Apple, and I love their products.

See with the 4 to the 4S the price was the same. The battery life increased, and it had a huge speed bump which it needed. Plus it had a Siri.

I don't know after reading the above article and watching the video. It just makes me feel Apple are just cheating us. Problem is with Apple we are loyal, we will buy it. But I am seriously thinking twice about it.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The "S" releases are alway minor spec bump updates.
    Don't expect a full new redesigned phone within a year.
    That will be next year when the iPhone 6 comes out.
    I'm also thinking about it. I have an upgrade available and I'm using an i5 now.
    Not sure if its worth it.
    Maybe if the next jb includes the new 5S I'd go get one.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Then don't. In all honesty. If you don't need it, why buy it?

6. user-name-here macrumors 65816

This update is not targeted at iPhone 5 owners. If you feel the same way then move on until next year.

This update is targeted at iPhone 4S owners and is a massive upgrade for them.

Apple does things on a 2-year cycle with the iPhone. Get over it.

7. mjcxp macrumors regular

I feel the same way. I have had every iPhone since the original. I could care less about TouchID. I upgraded to the 4S mainly for the upgraded processor. The iPhone 5 is already blazing fast, I highly doubt the 5S will feel twice as fast. I know I will not be able to resist the temptation and will end up upgrading.

8. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

A better question is; if it just looked different isn't it really the same?

9. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

I think anyone who reads The Register is stupid, and anyone who thinks the only difference between the 5 and 5s is a finger print scanner is not far behind.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Just because Apple releases a new phone doesn't mean you have to get it. If I had an iPhone 5, I would not be getting the 5S or 5C.

11. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

I'm not actually getting a 5s (holding off for the 6), but from what I've read the improvements to the camera have been massive (which is impressive consider the quality of the camera in the 5).

12. g35, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

g35 macrumors 6502a

If you feel like a sucker for upgrading, don't do it. If you're anything like me, you will feel worse if you do.

Something clicked in my head sometime in the last 6 months. You probably don't need the $700 phone every year. You might, for your business or something, but I doubt it. I feel like a bit of a moron for having even a 5 in my pocket, but I got a good deal on it I would have been crazy to pass it up. At my age my dad was working a ****** job in a new country just to support his tiny kids. And I got up at 7AM on a Saturday to stand in line for an hour to pay a bunch of money for the latest cell phone.

I would be able to do all the same pointless things on a three year old phone that I do now - Twitter, texting, web browsing, watching videos, etc. There is no significant difference between that phone and the latest one.

I don't want to sound like a hippie or a guilty yuppie or something but ...if you've reached the point where you can't see the point in going from a 5 to a 5S, then why do it? If you can sell your old one and get a new one without paying extra, I see the sense in it. If you're putting down hundreds of extra dollars to do it, if you're contemplating standing in line for hours to do it, ...I don't know, I'd feel like a huge dope. sorry for all the text. Hope nobody takes it as a slam against them, just a stream of consciousness post.

13. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Well said.
    [​IMG]

14. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

If you are actually going to spend almost $1k to go from the 5 to the 5S, then the answer to the question posed in your subject is: most definitely.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You've just described the 5C! :D

16. The Robot Cow macrumors 6502

The Robot Cow

You know what i've noticed from Apple, "You don't need it but you want it".

For me its more than just the fingerprint sensor, its the 64bit architecture and better lte radios.

17. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I roll my eyes when anybody is "loyal" to ANY corporation. I am loyal to my immediate family and that's it.

As many, we are here because we LIKE Apple products, but I gotta think that like is for a reason whether we like the features, the ease of use, or simple aesthetic, but blind loyalty? really? Are we not adults?

If you have to take out a loan, go behind on your bills, then you are not only stupid but irresponsible. But if you make enough, go for it! I salute you for helping the economy.

18. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I get mine as upgrades every year. Pass the old phone down to one of my kids. Or, sell it.

No big. I would not pay non-upgrade money for a 5s.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That is the crux of the problem, indeed.

I was meh about the faster processor and the fingerprint sensor, but I was reading an article today about the new camera features, which got me wondering if the new burst capture mode could help me get better pictures. I have a muscular coordination problem, causing me to often jerk as I am pushing the button on a camera. Or trying to tap the camera button on the iPhone screen. Can the iPhone 5S let me take steady pictures like a regular, non-handicapped person? It's not something I need, but if it worked, I WANT it....

20. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The Camara+ App (for one) has a "stability" feature. When you hit the button it doesn't fire right away, but it sits there until it senses you have steady your hands enough (don't ask me how it does it, you have to Google for that), usually a couple of seconds, and it works with your current phone. No need for a new phone grasshopper!

21. Celtic Warrior macrumors regular

Celtic Warrior

[​IMG]

That might be counted as parody too. That's what companies try to do for years, basically which is to release product each in every year that is going to make us desire to get it. Or Adding significant feature that we're wondering about. 5S is definitely in that category. Finger Print lures people away because of curiosity, like they did in 4S with Siri. However, that feature looks more effective for people who are interested to upgrade their iPhone's or smart phones. That feature actually allows you get rid of something that you do every single time. Personally, I do many times enter my passcode, thereafter I lock my phone, which literally bugs me to re-enter it. Although all features, I do not consider to switch iPhone 5 to iPhone 5s, cause it's almost same one with 5 except couple of features and hardware. Probably, iPhone is going to hit biggest impact since 2010.

22. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I don't like what the NSA is doing, but the lessening of people's privacy and invisibility is going to happen with or without Apple.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Thanks! Will check it out. :)

24. Impuls3101 macrumors member

You are better off waiting to see how it gets reviewed a few weeks after its released. Everything right now is just speculation that its barely an upgrade or a major one.

Judging by the unveil though it felt like they just wanted to push out a new device as fast as possible and move on. I felt like they were selling a new ipod instead of one of their top of the line products. For me it was one of the worst product unveils that I have seen. Like the new iOS it felt flat

25. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Just curious, where did you find that picture? It made me smile :)