Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Ok, so its glossy (I'm the type that doesnt hate it or doesnt mind it) but will it use a H-IPS panel is what I'm really concerned about before taking the plung.

tom.

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Didn't you buy (and moan) about a 30" ACD not long ago? Put your money away crazy man!

Besides - DisplayPort only at this stage? I think they will release more CD's soon, with dual-link DVI for MP

strikeinsilence

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2006
Glossy screen + displayport only = not with a ten-foot pole.

Word. I'm happy with my 30". I know its almost cliché now to say it, but I really don't like the "racoon" look of Apple's design language. Gloss is a killer too. Imagine a glossy 30", when it's off it'll double as a bathroom mirror.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
This is just another sign from Apple that they are no longer interested in the prosumers / professionals. Unless of course they plan on releasing some pro-level displays that are actually capable of hooking up to the Mac Pro. :p

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I'm sure they'll come out with an adapter to easily take care of the mac pro connecting to the new 24" led displays.

I dont really care about a little bit of glass/glossiness.. its LED backlit for gods sakes!!

Its going to be freaking gorgeous especially you wont notice the glare once the bright solid colors of the led is right in smack of your face and no more warming up for 5 minutes to get the max amount of brightness!!

The contrast.. the contrast!!

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
Well, there are plenty of high quality displays on market, you don't have to go all apple ;)

NEC, Lacie, Dell, and recently a small company called Hanzo has caught my attention

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I will avoid this thing like the plague. Plus it is useless to me because I will not buy one of those MBs.

Give me my current Cinema Display with and LED backlight and an iSight, then you got yourself a deal mister.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Well, there are plenty of high quality displays on market, you don't have to go all apple ;)

NEC, Lacie, Dell, and recently a small company called Hanzo has caught my attention

yea.. but only the samsung has an led and the nec led is something like... 2kish...and the samsung xl24 is 3k and its a TN panel =( while the samsung XL30 is almost 5k.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
yea.. but only the samsung has an led and the nec led is something like... 2kish...and the samsung xl24 is 3k and its a TN panel =( while the samsung XL30 is almost 5k.

What country are you in?

The XL series all use S-PVA panels by the way and are intended for colour critical use.

HP and Lenovo also have LED displays.

Fast Shadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2004
Hollywood, CA
I'm sure there are DVI versions of the new display forthcoming.

I'm really disappointed by the glossy surface, though. I don't see how this new display is suitable for any work that involves accurate color.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
What country are you in?

The XL series all use S-PVA panels by the way and are intended for colour critical use.

HP and Lenovo also have LED displays.

Ok, can I see some links of the 24" LED HP and Lenovo displays with an S-IPS or H-IPS panel around $900 please??

I might be wrong about the samsung 24XL being TN but I remember this on an hardforum but it could be the S-PVA which is still inferior than the current cinema displays with the S-IPS.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
HP's (DreamColor LP2480zx) can be had for under $2,500 and uses an S-IPS panel. Lenovo's (ThinkVision L2440x) is $700, but is using an S-PVA panel. The Samsung's are around half the prices you suggested in the US.

As for Apple comming out with an adaptor so you can use it with a Mac Pro, I wouldn't count on it. This is specifically targetted at notebook users.

Is there a specific reason you want an LED display? If you specify what you intend to use it for you may get some better advice regarding displays.

OlBlueHair

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Glossy screen = I stick with my 30in ACD, no thanks.

I don't mind the glossy screen on my little consumer level macbook. I can't deal with it on my real machine.

ildondeigiocchi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Montreal
Didn't you buy (and moan) about a 30" ACD not long ago? Put your money away crazy man!

Besides - DisplayPort only at this stage? I think they will release more CD's soon, with dual-link DVI for MP

I just don't get why ppl are so vulgar in their responses? :confused:

IroquoisPliskin

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2008
Glossy screen + displayport only = not with a ten-foot pole.

This screenshot of Apple's own presentation is a perfect example of why I dislike them so much too.

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 78

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
There is an adapter for DisplayPort to DVI, so yes, it will work.

And for the original poster, we know you will buy one and then debate later on whether or not you should sell it and buy an older matte CD. :rolleyes:

hms84

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
There is an adapter for DisplayPort to DVI, so yes, it will work.

And for the original poster, we know you will buy one and then debate later on whether or not you should sell it and buy an older matte CD. :rolleyes:

It won't
This isn't about DisplayPort to DVI ... This is DVI to DisplayPort (Female)
This is a totally different cable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.