Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

So, Apple Glass is real. Your AR ideas?

Would you use AR glasses with the features in the OP?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

subjonas

macrumors 68030
Feb 10, 2014
I don’t know if anyone pointed this out yet (I only read the first two pages of comments), but there’s an important difference between AR and HUD. HUD is just UI elements anchored to the glasses, not the world, which is much easier to do and more limited in usefulness than AR—this is what google glasses were back in the day. HUD can be useful for certain things but it distracts from the world, it doesn’t augment it. AR is anchored to the world, on the other hand, which is much more difficult to do, expands usefulness quite a bit, and is intended to keep you focused on the world, which I find much more agreeable.

I read some good ideas in the first couple pages. My main AR uses for the consumer Apple glasses would probably be navigation, tourism, translation, and stargazing (of the things I can think of right now). I would use AR often, but I will most likely not use HUD features often. I think I would find them too intrusive and distracting. Right now I just like having my Apple Watch vibrate for notifications so that I can decide if and when I want to look at my watch or phone and see what the notification is. I would probably only use HUD features for things like following along an instructional video, which doesn’t happen too often.

Not sure yet if I would ever want to watch a movie or tv show on the glasses, assuming it even has good enough display quality and battery life for that.

For work, however, I would want to use Apple’s rumored wired AR headset, so that I can have as many displays as I want/need at any size while I’m working on my computer.

Donotask

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2020
NY
NEXTechar solution had ar floating button working, when apple glasses come out, oh boi its gonna be awsome.

stevegerard15

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2020
There already are such ads for VR glasses. I'm not quite sure if I like it. The glasses can be useful in many cases, but the data overload will be even more impactful.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
There already are such ads for VR glasses. I'm not quite sure if I like it. The glasses can be useful in many cases, but the data overload will be even more impactful.
That's where Apple will step in hopefully. Apple Watch is a great example: It could have been sensory and data overload, but it isn't. I trust them to do so for Apple Glass as well.

Reactions: subjonas

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
We can only imagine all the stuff that's currently in their labs... But I sure do hope these glasses are coming. I'm wearing normal glasses anyway so bring it on!

And the fun thing is that we've seen stuff being introduced in other devices that can all be used for the glasses, for example the LIDAR on the latest iPad Pro and the compass in the Apple Watch. Can't wait for seeing a line drawn on the road, like in a race game, to tell me where to go.

bobmans

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2020
Lot of cool and useful possibilities once you start using some special "AR QR Code" to trigger the AR experience. Similar concept as App Clips but maybe with some QR-like code instead?

Reactions: MandiMac

countryside

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2016
My one ask no front-facing camera! I wonder if they could do a camera that looks towards the eyes instead...

subjonas

macrumors 68030
Feb 10, 2014
My one ask no front-facing camera! I wonder if they could do a camera that looks towards the eyes instead...
I don’t think glasses could see mass adoption if there is a camera (I don’t know what function it would serve to face toward the eyes) because of the social privacy implications. I think it would only have a chance if it uses something like LIDAR.

Reactions: countryside

RicP

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2014
Hi,
Would be nice to see the AR applied in the rumoured apple car for meetings in a self-driving vehicle. The standard for 10Gb/s in automotive come in fruition this year with the release of 802.3ch so it's possible to take that local power and bind with 5G and satellite data to interacted in travels if the driver seat loses all the mechanical operations.
The glasses would be the new "personal screen" and the car a great "desktop" for the people inside.
Let me know what you think is a good application of innovation.

Last edited:

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors regular
May 22, 2015
I got a killer idea for a 3D Navigational system that would work amazing on both the rumored Apple Glasses and the new Iphone 12 Pros.

It's all based on the LiDar sensor. What it does is it scans the room and in real time overlays holographic graphics like arrows, distance, directions, icons, beacons, etc and helps you navigate to a destination. Think of it as a real time 3D Street View/GPS

Case in point: You'r in a mall, and want directions to the nearest Apple store. You pull out your Iphone 12 pro, run the app and it gives you real time directions towards the store using the LiDar sensor

or you could use it on a hike, driving, etc.

You would think they would do alot more with the LiDar systems then just gimmicky apps!

Reactions: MandiMac

Risingsolaris

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2020
Tokyo Metropolis
Last edited:

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
- ViewTime; like FaceTime but the called person see's what you're seeing (ie for support purposes)
It sounds odd but I've heard people give good reasons for why Apple's AR glasses may not feature normal video capability. Other devices have faced enormous legality issues in terms of privacy and negative connotations.

It may be possible that Apple's relies purely on LiDAR technologies built on what it has developed for the iPhone Pro and iPad Pro. This would allow much of the functionality in terms of overlay without direct video.

Such a compromise would make "view sharing" like that impossible which is no small consideration.

TBC I'm been an active MR user for a year but this is my first time posting on the Apple Glass forum so maybe this is all old talking points but just throwing it out there!

subjonas

macrumors 68030
Feb 10, 2014
I don’t think this was mentioned, and actually I don’t think it would work, but it would cool if you set a reminder to talk to eg. Bill about exercise equipment the next time you see him, and the ar glasses could show a star above Bill’s head when you see him to remind you to bring up exercise equipment. But for this to work, the glasses would need to be able to recognize and identify people, which requires a camera and is a little creepy, so it’s probably a no go.

subjonas

macrumors 68030
Feb 10, 2014
Oh also for actors, they could have their dialogue lines imposed on their scene partner’s face haha.

iPadProPerson

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
They should connect to Apple TV for gaming, or could come with a keyboard cause you wouldn’t need a screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.