So Apple will not sell the iPhone for full retail at launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Aug 13, 2014.

1. bobright macrumors 601

Is this true everybody says they won't sell it for full price? Why not? :confused:

2. chabig macrumors 68040

I'm sorry I can't tell you. It's a secret that everybody knows but you. ;)

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They usually don't sell the officially unlocked version until months later but its all assumptions for now.
    We won't know for sure till its announced.

4. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

They will sell it at full retail in the store, just not online. Currently, the T-Mobile model is the only carrier model that is sold at full retail on Apples website. The T-Mobile model on Apples website is unlocked and will work on any GSM carrier if that's what you need.

5. 617aircav Suspended

Hmm bought several 5s on launch at full retail online last year.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I'm sure it will be in the UK. Got my last 2 phones on launch day. iPhone 4 in store and iPhone 5 online.
    Both unlocked on day one.

7. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

8. hypervish89 macrumors regular

They wouldn't let my friend purchase a 5s at full retail price at the AT&T store when we were the first ones in line after waiting all night. I let him use one of my upgrades since I felt bad.

9. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

The only full retail iPhone 5S sold online last last year here in the US was the T-Mobile model.

----------

Not available at full retail online. Apple will allow full retail purchases in their stores.

10. 617aircav Suspended

Does that not count as being sold at full retail?

11. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Yes, it does. Your post that I quoted did not say you purchased the T-Mobile model. ;)

12. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Looks like I'm makin a trip then

13. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I did that last year, butt there were too many people in line ahead of me that got the Verizon model. This year I plan on getting the T-Mobile 6, since I only need it to work with them and AT&T anyway. Hope you make out well at the Apple store and get the model you want. Hopefully there will be more available in stores this year.

14. campyguy macrumors 68040

I went to a off-the-beaten-path VZW corporate store on launch day to buy an iPhone 5 outright after two Apple Stores wouldn't sell me one. For the 5S, two of my friends used the same store to buy a gold 5S. In and out in under 10 minutes. The rep was a bit disappointed that I didn't sign a new contract, tho' (I didn't care). I'm in Portland, between downtown and Vancouver - I went to the store in West Linn, if you want an idea of "off the beaten path".

15. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Not online.....the only unlocked (full retail) that is available at launch is the T-mo one. It should work with whatever chip, just take the t-mo one out and put another one in.

You can go to a physical store and get one on launch day, camp out the day before, remember your blanket!!

The SIM-free option doesn't come till like a month later.

16. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

I want it for use with AT&T. I don't want to to hurt resale value though if I ever do I sell it. If I were to get the GSM model it'd only be able to be hooked up on certain carriers?

That sucks was thinking of going to AT&T instead. I'll have to call beforehand with my luck though they'll be sold out by then.

As I was saying I don't want to be limited if I flip my phone later down the line so this is probably a bad idea then? If Apple sells it "unlocked" at a store in person it'd be able to work on ANY carrier right?

17. AppleFan91, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014

AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

18. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

The only iPhone model that will work on any carrier is the Verizon model. The unlocked AT&T and T-Mobile iPhones only work on GSM networks. Same thing with the non carrier unlocked iPhone that Apple is currently selling.

19. CEmajr macrumors 601

It won't work on Sprint

20. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

I didn't get any of this thanks for clarifying, so basically what I'd buy unlocked from AT&T would be the same as the T-mobile version apple will sell on launch? I could buy the T-mobile version unlocked then just simply take it to AT&T and add it to my mobile share value plan?

21. mobutt macrumors 6502

I always buy the att one full price on launch and it's unlocked.

22. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Does it work on AT&T's LTE network? I thought it was a different band than T-Mobile's?

23. MacKai macrumors regular

MacKai

No one but Apple at this point knows if they will sale an SIM card free unlocked version at launch. If not buy the unlocked t-mobile one and put an att SIM card in it. Problem solved.

24. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

Stop spread rumors. Every year this same discussion happens. Walk into the store and buy it outright. I do it every year.

25. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

My guess is that they will have to offer unlocked, because in the past year alone, there has been more attention and marketing towards non-contract plans.