So Apple will not sell the iPhone for full retail at launch?

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Is this true everybody says they won't sell it for full price? Why not? :confused:

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
Is this true everybody says they won't sell it for full price? Why not? :confused:
They will sell it at full retail in the store, just not online. Currently, the T-Mobile model is the only carrier model that is sold at full retail on Apples website. The T-Mobile model on Apples website is unlocked and will work on any GSM carrier if that's what you need.

hypervish89

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
They wouldn't let my friend purchase a 5s at full retail price at the AT&T store when we were the first ones in line after waiting all night. I let him use one of my upgrades since I felt bad.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
The only full retail iPhone 5S sold online last last year here in the US was the T-Mobile model.

----------

Not available at full retail online. Apple will allow full retail purchases in their stores.

Looks like I'm makin a trip then

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
Looks like I'm makin a trip then
I did that last year, butt there were too many people in line ahead of me that got the Verizon model. This year I plan on getting the T-Mobile 6, since I only need it to work with them and AT&T anyway. Hope you make out well at the Apple store and get the model you want. Hopefully there will be more available in stores this year.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
What about Verizon model device only?
I went to a off-the-beaten-path VZW corporate store on launch day to buy an iPhone 5 outright after two Apple Stores wouldn't sell me one. For the 5S, two of my friends used the same store to buy a gold 5S. In and out in under 10 minutes. The rep was a bit disappointed that I didn't sign a new contract, tho' (I didn't care). I'm in Portland, between downtown and Vancouver - I went to the store in West Linn, if you want an idea of "off the beaten path".

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Not online.....the only unlocked (full retail) that is available at launch is the T-mo one. It should work with whatever chip, just take the t-mo one out and put another one in.

You can go to a physical store and get one on launch day, camp out the day before, remember your blanket!!

The SIM-free option doesn't come till like a month later.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
They will sell it at full retail in the store, just not online. Currently, the T-Mobile model is the only carrier model that is sold at full retail on Apples website. The T-Mobile model on Apples website is unlocked and will work on any GSM carrier if that's what you need.
I want it for use with AT&T. I don't want to to hurt resale value though if I ever do I sell it. If I were to get the GSM model it'd only be able to be hooked up on certain carriers?

They wouldn't let my friend purchase a 5s at full retail price at the AT&T store when we were the first ones in line after waiting all night. I let him use one of my upgrades since I felt bad.
That sucks was thinking of going to AT&T instead. I'll have to call beforehand with my luck though they'll be sold out by then.

I did that last year, butt there were too many people in line ahead of me that got the Verizon model. This year I plan on getting the T-Mobile 6, since I only need it to work with them and AT&T anyway. Hope you make out well at the Apple store and get the model you want. Hopefully there will be more available in stores this year.
As I was saying I don't want to be limited if I flip my phone later down the line so this is probably a bad idea then? If Apple sells it "unlocked" at a store in person it'd be able to work on ANY carrier right?

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I want it for use with AT&T. I don't want to to hurt resale value though if I ever do I sell it. If I were to get the GSM model it'd only be able to be hooked up on certain carriers?

As I was saying I don't want to be limited if I flip my phone later down the line so this is probably a bad idea then? If Apple sells it "unlocked" at a store in person it'd be able to work on ANY carrier right?
The only iPhone model that will work on any carrier is the Verizon model. The unlocked AT&T and T-Mobile iPhones only work on GSM networks. Same thing with the non carrier unlocked iPhone that Apple is currently selling.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
The only iPhone model that will work on any carrier is the Verizon model. The unlocked AT&T and T-Mobile iPhones only work on GSM networks. Same thing with the non carrier unlocked iPhone that Apple is currently selling.
I didn't get any of this thanks for clarifying, so basically what I'd buy unlocked from AT&T would be the same as the T-mobile version apple will sell on launch? I could buy the T-mobile version unlocked then just simply take it to AT&T and add it to my mobile share value plan?

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Does it work on AT&T's LTE network? I thought it was a different band than T-Mobile's?

MacKai

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
East Bay Area, CA
No one but Apple at this point knows if they will sale an SIM card free unlocked version at launch. If not buy the unlocked t-mobile one and put an att SIM card in it. Problem solved.

C. Robert

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Stop spread rumors. Every year this same discussion happens. Walk into the store and buy it outright. I do it every year.