So are the new iMacs projected to have retina displays?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bobright, Mar 24, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

I came across something like this in an article is it possible, do you guys think it'll be done?

2. simsaladimbamba

Maybe, but probably in 2013 or 2014 according to all the other threads and their speculation.

3. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Definitely. Not for a while though.

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

hmm, macbook pros are rumored to so i don't see why not.

remember the term retina is linked to the typical viewing distance and so the imac retina resolution might not not be as high and iphone etc.

i think its possible. their GPUs are powerful enough, its just getting samsung/lg/sharp to make a 27 inch hi res display.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

I think it would be also a question of cost - can they keep the price the same? I don't want a retina display if it adds $300 to the cost of the base system.

6. NextGenApple macrumors regular

Keep dreaming!!!!! NO, NOT ON NEXT REFRESH ANYWAY!! expect MBP, Yes

7. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

MacBook Pros are 17" at most. iMacs are minimum 21.5", so that itself is a good reason we won't see retina display iMacs. I don't see retina iMacs coming anytime soon, honestly.

8. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

apple do seem to be going retina for more and more products now though, i think its only a matter of time.

9. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

You're right. Matter of time.. and money. When they can be produced for fairly cheap, we'll see it. Until then, we won't. I think it's just too expensive to do on a large iMac screen still.

10. NextGenApple macrumors regular

Also I wouldn't be one of the first to embrace retina iMacs. I would buy after 1-2 years of it been around. Everyone is different but I don't need bragging right round my mates but the silently dragging the computer to Apple store cos of issue with new tech.