So AT&T 7 VERIZON don't have brign your own phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Omacc, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Omacc macrumors member

"So AT&T & VERIZON don't have brign your own phone?

as the title states, Only tmobile and that straight talk company only have bring your own phone? Ive looked around and have not found accurate info on at&t or verizon having the same. Can someone please confirm if they do or don;t have the same type of plan?

2. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Uhhh, Verizon and AT&T offer the iPhone on contract.

T-Mobile doesn't.

3. Omacc thread starter macrumors member

I understand, but what i am referring to is CAN i buy an unlocked contract free Iphone and then just buy the sim with contract from AT&T/VERIZON and not pay 40$ a month for "smartphone" fee? While only paying $70 or so a month for the plan thus saving some money instead of paying $40 x 2 plus $70 a month

4. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

You can buy an iPhone unlocked and/or off-contract, and not have to sign a 2-year agreement when signing up for service because you already have the phone.

But you cannot buy an unlocked iPhone and use it on Verizon. The unlocked models are GSM only. Nor can you purchase a Verizon iPhone off-contract and use it on AT&T/T-Mobile or even Sprint.

5. brianbunge macrumors 6502

brianbunge

With AT&T, yes you can bring your own phone and not have a contract. No, you cannot get around the "smartphone fee". You're still going to pay that plus data.

6. Omacc thread starter macrumors member

OHH i see, thank you. Much appreciated

7. snook911 macrumors 6502a

To answer your question directly you are correct. AT&T and Verizon do not have any plans that are cheaper if you bring your own phone.

8. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

You can try straighttalk which is an att prepaid mvno. You don't even need an unlocked phone......att locked phone works. They have a 45$ plan with unlimited data.

9. Omacc thread starter macrumors member

That's somewhat my "argument", straighttalk/tmobile do not have as great a service in my area as verzion/at&t . im fed up with tmobile and a million dropped/unreceived phone calls. That "BRING YOUR OWN PHONE" is a great idea, but since at&t nor verizon have it, im going to have to bite the bullet on this and upgrade to one of the two better services.

10. takasugi macrumors regular

Straight Talk on iPhone is AT&T service (that's why it works on locked phones) - it should be the same apart from any throttling they do on data.

11. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Sure, you can bring your phone. Same price as everyone else.

Two of my phones came from elsewhere.

12. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

If you are going to sign a contract with AT&T or Verizon, you may as well get a subsidized iphone since you are paying for the subsidy whether you bring your own phone or not. You can always sell the subsidized phone for a nice profit if you would rather use your own phone anyway.

Bring your own phone only saves you money (in the US) if you go with Tmo or Straighttalk or one of the myriad MVNOs that will accept your phone or charge you full price for a phone because their plans are cheap/no-contract. If you are outside the US, there are much better options.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That would be nice but they don't. Wether you take advantage of the subsidy or not you're paying the same.
    Maybe one day...