So...AT&T got rid of free wifi at Barnes and Noble?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MBHockey, May 16, 2009.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I have been making use of the free wifi from AT&T at B&N for my iPhone 3G for the past two weeks.

Today I connected to the network and attempted to load a page (which usually directs me to a site where I can put in my iPhone phone number to verify I am an iPhone user) and then I get sent a link via SMS to activate free wifi for 24 hours for the phone.

But when I did that today I got this screen instead of the one that allows me to enter my iPhone telephone number.

I went through the options and none gave me the ability to enter my phone number. Also, it doesn't seem to bode well that the page was formatted for the iPhone -- you can't pinch/zoom it and the desktop page looks markedly different for purchasing options.

Seems to me they got rid of it, quietly. I'd love to be wrong though!

Attached Files:

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

3. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah -- it shows up on that list.

They didn't get rid of the AT&T wifi -- you can still purchase it -- but they seem to have gotten rid of the free AT&T wifi for iPhone 3G users. I've been studying for the MCAT for 8 hours a day in that B&N, and it has worked flawlessly every single day up until today.

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

The good ole bait n' switch. I don't understand why they would do this though -it's just going to clog up their oh so precious 3G network. The same network that they don't want Slingplayer accessing.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Tethering = $$
    OP - might be worth contacting Kim to see if the site knows anything more about this. details are on the main page I think

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Is he tethering? Or, just using WiFi on his iPhone?

Are you saying that when you get free WiFi on your iPhone at Starbucks (or whatever), you can then tethering it to a laptop to get WiFi on your laptop?? :confused:

7. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I was talking about just using it on my phone.

8. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I'll be there again today to study. Hopefully free wifi access is working again, but I'm not optimistic.

9. JCastro macrumors 6502a

That is weird. Hopefully they haven't changed directions on their policy! 3G will work for me but it will sure anger a lot of customers! Let us know what happens.

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I was under the impression that free wifi was available at Borders too but I wasn't able to get anything.

11. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

So, AT&T say we can only use certain apps on WiFi, but then they start to eliminate their own WiFi spots? This is just going to cause anger (as if there wasn't already enough) and more people to use their 3G network instead. I always though that they offered WiFi to help decrease traffic on their 3G?

This is just going to cause (1) more people to jailbreak, so they can use WiFi only apps via 3G and (2) more traffic/clutter on their 3G network. This makes no sense. If they eliminate free WiFi at Starbucks, I'm jailbreaking.

13. ZbadhabitZ macrumors newbie

Noticed this same thing the other day at my local Starbucks that I have been going into, and connecting for free via Wifi to, for the past ten months-ish (whenever AT&T started this free Wifi setup). All of a sudden, I received the same login screen as the OP, no more "enter your 10-digit phone number." Very disappointing.

Even more disappointing is the fact that AT&T clearly stated in their SlingBox justification comment that there are places with free WiFi for iPhone users (Starbucks included), but appear to be doing away with the free WiFi for iPhone users? Say what?

14. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

That's horrible! Granted, it doesn't effect me. I have At&t U-Verse TV and Internet service and it includes free At&t WiFi anywhere, with any computer. In my case, I would just have the click the "Use membership" button in the OP screenshot. That really sucks for most other people out there though. :(

15. SMDrew macrumors member

Ugh! Just another reason to want to bring on the 4G Verizon competition already!

Keep in mind there are a lot of people out there with EDGE-connected 2G iPhones (like myself) who see WiFi as a golden ticket.

Please keep us posted.

16. ZbadhabitZ macrumors newbie

Just as an update, I went to that same Starbucks this morning, connected to the attwifi network, proceed to open Safari and browse a few sites while on Wifi without ever having to login at all. Strange. Maybe the whole system is having some problems?

As a side note, those of you familiar with 3.0 will know that when you try to connect to a network that requires some sort of a username and password login (NOT a secured network, but rather a place like Starbucks, where you need to type in your 10-digit number, of a school, where you need to type your username and password into a web-based form), instead of seeing the standard web-based form, you get a new pop-up window that asks for those credentials. Does anybody else find this obnoxious and that it doesn't work?

17. gvegastiger macrumors regular

Has anyone tried contacting ATT to ask them if the policy has changed or if maybe they are just having some network problems?

18. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I just came from my local Starbucks (in Maryland) and everything is still the same. I tried to go on to Safari and it kicked me over to that "enter your ten digit phone number" page. I entered it, got my text, and then had "free" WiFi service. I don't have a BnN close enough to me to try it out.

19. JCastro macrumors 6502a

That certainly is good news. I hope it was just a temporary system hiccup! If not I am sure there will be some public outcry!

20. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Same goes for me. I just came back from one of my local B'n'N (Citrus Heights, CA), and WiFi worked for me there. It has a Starbucks next to it (accessible through B'n'N) and WiFi worked there as well.

I also tried this back home at Both B'n'N stores in Omaha, Nebraska, and WiFi worked at both. Didn't have to pay for anything at any of the stores.

BL.

21. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Interesting. I asked the staff about it but they didn't know what I was talking about (that iPhone users get free ATTWIFI access).

Maybe it's just a temporary glitch. I'll swing by another B&N on my way back today to see.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've always thought free wifi at stores/restaurants was something of a fad. Panarea bread is the exception, they seem to embrace that.

23. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I hope your iPhone isn't busted.

24. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

25. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Oh, that was actually the new iPhone prototype that must've been leaked out. Steve Jobs has been sitting home perfecting this new technology. A touch screen that you don't even have to touch. Sort of like the Everlasting Gobstopper. It uses the latest telepathic Apple innovations. You should've put it up on eBay instead of returning it.