So ATT took away our yearly upgrades?!? lame!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brazzy, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Brazzy macrumors regular

This kind of sucks. I preordered the 4s with full intentions to upgrade to the 5 when it drops next fall. Now i find out that I'm not eligible for an upgrade until may 3, 2013.

DAMN YOU ATT!!

::shakes fist at ATT::

forgive me if there's already a thread about this. I'm just too lazy to search.

2. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

3. LoganT macrumors 68020

Before any uniformed person comes in here and starts screaming "You signed a two year contract!" know this: It's always been 19 months for everyone, but if you paid at least 100 dollars a month on your line you were able to get an upgrade every year.

I asked the same thing on here, and someone said it should change back to 12 months after a few months. I have no idea if that's true, maybe I should contact AT&T.

4. bgro macrumors 6502a

Same here. I have 4 lines on my family plan and as the primary line got used to having my yearly upgrade. It would've been nice to know the yearly upgrade was going away but I would have upgraded anyway.

Don't think any carriers are doing yearly upgrades now..sucks.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

1. Cancel iPhone Preorder
    2. Reorder @ No commitment pricing
    3. Bacon (Always need a step for bacon)
    4. Enjoy your subsidized iPhone 5.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That would be up to AT&T to decide, wouldn't it?

What does the contract you signed say?

7. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

That makes sense. I've been with AT&T for over 5 years and have been able to upgrade every 12 months for the last 3 or 4 years. I upgraded on Friday and just checked my AT&T account for kicks and giggles after reading the OP's post and sure enough, I'm not eligible again until May of 2013 (19 months). We'll see if it changes closer to next year, as I'm not worried about until the next iPhone comes out.

----------

That's funny stuff:D

8. Virance macrumors regular

Don't worry about it - nothing actually changed. The date is just a moving target. They base your upgrade date on how much you spend with them. If the promised you an upgrade a year from now, and then tomorrow you broke all your iPhones and dropped all the data plans and dropped your minutes down to the lowest and got rid if your texting plan they would be screwed. They already promised you an upgrade a year from now.

Instead, as you spend money month from month that date changes. If you continue as a high paying customer, chances are a year from now your date will be bumped all the way back up again.

9. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Thank you for being the voice of reason. I have no doubt that the upgrade dates will move again.

10. iadam09 macrumors regular

Right after I upgrade my date changes for 2 years, then a few months later it becomes earlier.

Last year I got an even earlier date as did many others because AT&T was losing exclusivity.

11. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

:)

12. LoganT macrumors 68020

Hopefully you're right. Because I remember buying the iPhone 4 in June 2010 and it then said my next eligible upgrade would be June 17, 2011. I wonder if it has something to do with my next billing cycle not being for another two days.

13. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

I've been a long time AT&T customer (used to be w/ Cingular) and every time I upgrade my phone the date for the next upgrade is initially 2 yrs but lowers throughout the year so that I am eligible for an upgrade every 12 months. Hopefully, this is just what is happening now.

14. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I have been a long time ATT customer as well, and if I remember correctly this is how it has gone with the iPhones....

Original iPhone was not subsidized, but you did have to sign a two year contract.

iPhone 3G everyone was eligible to upgrade to since there was no subsidy on the original iPhone. You just had to signs a new 2 year agreement.

iPhone 3GS everyone had to play by the rules of ATT upgrades which we are facing now. (The 2 years / 19 months/ the more you pay the sooner you can renew rules.)

iPhone 4 ATT let everyone upgrade because they knew their exclusivity was going to run out within the next year and wanted to get as many people locked in a possible.

iPhone 4S we are back to the regular upgrade rules again.

My bet is that People who bought the 4S won't be eligible for the iPhone 5 when it comes out.

They way I see it the rules have always been the same, there has just been two years where ATT made exceptions, (iPhone -> 3g, 3GS ->4).

Maybe I am odd...

15. LoganT macrumors 68020

Maybe...but I was always eligible for the upgrade after 12 months for any kind of phone, not just the iPhone.

If that's what it is, it would've been nice if AT&T had said "Hey, this is just us being nice for a few years, don't get used to it."

16. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

When you guys say "eligible to upgrade" after 12 months...you mean that you are eligible to pay the early upgrade prices, correct? (399 for 16gb, 499 for 32gb).

I'm pretty sure the 05/08/13 date means that we will be able to pay the 199/299 prices on that date, but sometime before the next iphone comes out, we'll be able to pay the 399/499 prices instead of full price, if we want the new iphone on launch day.

Am I correct?

17. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

I'm not sure about everyone else, but it has always been the $199/299 price points for me every 12 months. But as was mentioned earlier, it could have just been due to the deals AT&T was issuing. Like last year when everyone's eligibility was bumped up 6 months. But I do recall being eligible every 12 months even before I got my first iPhone.

18. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yep.

19. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Or

1. Keep iPhone Preorder
    2. Buy the iPhone 5 @ No commitment pricing
    3. Enjoy more bacon
    4. Enjoy your Full price iPhone 5 while keeping your subsidized iPhone 4S.

20. TC25 macrumors 68020

No need to ask for forgiveness. Not searching, laziness and multiple threads on the same topic are very common on MR. As long as you don't duplicate a thread in the News and Article Discussion forum, you'll be fine.

21. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I bet date will drop over time. Plus worse case put away a little money each month over a year. Add that to what you can sell the 4S for when it's time and you can buy 5 without thinking about it.

22. pintnight macrumors 6502

The only time I got a 1 year upgrade was to get the 3G to upgrade from the original iPhone. After that never had a 1 year upgrade, it's always been 16 months or so. I can get the upgrade to 4S on Dec 1, 2011. But, I'm not in a big rush to get one since I have the 4.

23. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yes, you are correct.

24. aneftp macrumors 68040

Sorry guys. ATT made this policy change for all lines (18-21 months ) upgrades and got rid of 12 momth upgrades back in March 2011.

Go over to Howard forums or the Android forums and search for posters who used to get 12 month upgrades and upgrades to an Inspire or Atrix and even 3-4 months later their upgrades were still 18 months or so even though they had the $99 voice/data primary line.

Most people were waiting until the iPhone to use their upgrades and those posters were in the minority and people Just ignored their warnings.

So the masses with iPhones have upgrade you will be hearing the complaints from now till forever that they can't upgrade their usual 12 months cycle.

25. mpossoff macrumors 68020

You signed a 2 year contract. AT&T didn't have to give you a 12 month upgrade.