So Basically I have two choices right now (17" MBP i5 vs black box)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Final Cut, May 6, 2010.

1. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

I have a great imac (3.06ghz core 2, 8800GS, 500GB, 4 GIGS Ram. It is the perfect computer for me and it can do everything except max a couple of the latest games. However there is trouble in paradise, I need to go mobile this summer and for the next few years, The way I see it, I have two options.

1) Sell the imac and get a 17" i5 MBP
    2) Keep the imac and just buy the best new windows laptop $1000 could buy (portability and light gaming are must) I am also considering a 13" MBP refurb or new white macbook, but I am thinking windows for a bit of variation and more power.

My main concern is that the i5/330m is going to fall noticeably short of my iMac and I would have spent an additional 1000+ on less power (I know its a laptop but I am just barely happy with the amount of power I have now.

2. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

3. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

The 17" MBP is not Very portable, i don't know what you want, a desktop computer which you can carry around or a computer which you have to carry daily, if you just need a portable desktop get the 17" MBP, if not get a 15" one or just a White MacBook and Keep your iMac, however 2 computers can be painful

4. The Final Cut thread starter macrumors 6502

I tested it out the 17" MBP its a little heavy, but still fine for my traveling needs. I have to ask... do you think I would be able to put it on a airplane tray to watch a movie? I am leaning towards this option because I hate dealing with multiple computers. Although I know how to share files, and the portable would only be for office and gaming.

5. TJaames macrumors member

I used my Dell 1721 17" in planes quite often. If you have a small seat, it could be very uncomfortable, but then again, the MBP is far less bulky than the Dell. I just got a 17", and it really does not seem all that big. The discomfort came more from being on very small planes and having the keyboard against my chest, the width was never too much of a problem. 2" won't make a huge difference on a plane ride.

6. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Yes, I used to fly with my 17" MBP every week. It fits on most airplanes movie trays just fine. (AA's old super 80s being the exception)

I just recently moved to a high-res 15" - could never stand the low res on the older 15 MBPs. (which is why i always went 17)

7. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

Recieved my 17" MBP which is replacing my 20"imac. Sat here in front of the TV with it on my lap. Perfect kit for primary use and such an amaizngly fast machine. Love it and happy i went with this machine =)

8. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

i'd just keep the iMac and buy a 799 unibody White Macbook from MicroCenter.