Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chdwil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
My battery is draining rapidly. No changes from my 5, yet battery drain is very rapid.

Matt8045

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Its a little better than my 5 was yet I had over 600 charges on that one so the battery was really crappy for a while.

I've had to charge my 5S twice today already but I've been on it the whole time browsing, and candy crushing! On full brightness

Foxdog175

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Same. A friend of mine is also having the same issue...drains extremely fast since installing ios 7, despite having read and followed all of the battery-life tips for ios 6 and 7 (old and new tricks). My phone is about as battery-friendly as it gets, yet it still loses about 1% every few minutes, regardless of whether it's being used or not.

I even ran into a strange bug where it was 19% and jumped literally to 1% within the span of a 3-4 minutes, before immediately shutting off. Generally, my phone turns off at around 10% battery life (which is ridiculous in itself), but somehow it made a drastic jump from 19% to 1%. Very odd...

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
Twice ? Apple and their no good batteries !!! 10% improvement is a joke. Should have been 200%!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Yeah, this is my only complaint. I love everything else. I got the phone home and full recharged probably around 11am. By 10pm it was fully drained with typical occasional use (it was a work day today, then some games and pics at home). My iPhone 4 would last past a full day with that use. I just went through and shut everything done that wasn't needed, to see if I can eek out some more charge. Might need a quick charger.

Still, lovin' the blazing speed and power.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Mophie will collect your $$$ now. Apple will collect some royalties on the officially licensed lightning connector. Everybody gets paid. :p

For the moment, until new technology arrives, the only solution is a bigger battery, and Apple won't risk humiliation by making a 5s thicker than a 5.

2macORnot2mac

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
Same. A friend of mine is also having the same issue...drains extremely fast since installing ios 7, despite having read and followed all of the battery-life tips for ios 6 and 7 (old and new tricks). My phone is about as battery-friendly as it gets, yet it still loses about 1% every few minutes, regardless of whether it's being used or not.

I even ran into a strange bug where it was 19% and jumped literally to 1% within the span of a 3-4 minutes, before immediately shutting off. Generally, my phone turns off at around 10% battery life (which is ridiculous in itself), but somehow it made a drastic jump from 19% to 1%. Very odd...

My 5 did that two weeks before the warranty was up. Took it in and it was a bad battery. Apple replaced it under warranty.

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
turn location services off for every app except those that really need it (like find my phone, …)

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
The biggest battery drain of all is because of "New Toy Syndrome."

Put it down and treat it as you would a regular smartphone and it will last all day ;)

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
I have had the opposite experience with my iPhone 5. After installing iOS 7, my battery gauge accuracy and longevity has improved. :)

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
iOS 7.0 is really awful on battery.

Actually, it's not. Many people including myself are experiencing slightly better battery life.

Battery life is determined by what you did (restore vs new), where you are (signal strength), what you're doing, and what apps are doing (visible or not). In almost every complaint about the battery running down quickly it is a rogue process or app. Resetting the phone will stop it until the process (maybe) starts again. Things like the phone attempting to retrieve mail over and over or log into or access something because of a credential issue. Yes, iOS 7 has some features that will consume more battery but I'm talking about the battery running down quickly. Lots of good threads on this but I don't have any links handy.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Actually, it's not. Many people including myself are experiencing slightly better battery life.

Battery life is determined by what you did (restore vs new), where you are (signal strength), what you're doing, and what apps are doing (visible or not). In almost every complaint about the battery running down quickly it is a rogue process or app. Resetting the phone will stop it until the process (maybe) starts again. Things like the phone attempting to retrieve mail over and over or log into or access something because of a credential issue. Yes, iOS 7 has some features that will consume more battery but I'm talking about the battery running down quickly. Lots of good threads on this but I don't have any links handy.

I have been running iOS 7 on most of my devices for a while now. The dev builds and GM. Trust me when I say, battery life after iOS 7 is really bad.

I have tried turning off mail, notifications, bluetooth, wifi, gps, and no apps with background refresh.

Honestly, every single iOS .0 version has this problem. Nothing new.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I assume you are talking about a 5S TS. If so you need a few recharges to calibrate the battery to real percentages.

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
My silver 64GB AT&T is draining way to rapidly. I am doing its first fresh charge from total drain. I had disabled parallax, not used dynamic wallpaper and most all location services have been turned off for almost everything.

About all I haven't done is to turn off the background apps and the automatic app updating.

I'll see how it goes in the next few days after a few battery drains/charges.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Allow a week or so for the battery to calibrate. Right now it may drain fast down to 1% and stay at 1% for an hour. This happens with every new device with a battery that shows charge level.

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
The biggest battery drain of all is because of "New Toy Syndrome."

Put it down and treat it as you would a regular smartphone and it will last all day ;)

This. Its a well known phenomenon. Also, run it down and charge it fully to calibrate the software.

(And yes, this is still recommended and required even for the new batteries.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.