So bear with me a minute, but I'm from the world of PCs. Care to influence me?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Random Gecko, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Random Gecko macrumors member

Hey, first post here.

So, basically I'm from the world of PCs. I've used them for my entire life and they just feel "normal". My older model died late last year so I picked something up from Dell (I know...), dual 2.8ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, etc, with a lovely 22" Samsung monitor.

Fast forward 10 months, I now live in an apartment in London, where the PC is parked on a dining table. Without going into any detail, due to housemates bailing on us, my girlfriend and I are gonna be moving to a smaller place, and so the idea of a desktop seems stupid.

Which brings me to why I'm here. I've always been curious in Macs and OS X since the current MacBooks and iMacs were released in the past few years, and I feel like the time has come for me to take the plunge.

Basically, what would I notice, what would I miss, what would I gain etc, from having a MacBook? I've a feeling I would miss that huge display but I could probably get over it, and perhaps keep it hanging around if I ever desire it.

I know the backstory was irrelevant really, but I'm basically asking you to give me that final push over the edge. I'm almost at the point of purchase, ya know? Also, I take it with it being so close to their release, I should wait for the newer models? I hear rumours of a price drop? Would they have increased RAM, processor speed, HDD size, etc?

Thanks, and sorry again for the long first post!

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Without knowing your needs/situation, I'd hazard a guess that a Macbook would suit you fine. It would be a nice way to learn more about using OS X, which is the whole reason to use a Mac. If you have a chance to play with one in a store before buying I'd recommend it.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Go to an Apple Store and check things out. If you like it, buy it. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

4. mbcollins93 macrumors member

mbcollins93

yeah i am in the same boat too. it sounds like almost my same situation. i am waiting for that push over the edge. but i think i found the solution. i will get a mac when the knew updates arrive. just the thought of leaving the only thing i have ever known (windows) scares me.
    cheers

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

cooome on, everyones doin it!

one of use, one of us, one of us

what, peer pressure doesnt work on intelligent life? damn:(

really though, try out some products at the apple store, research online and talk to people with macs and come to your own conclusion if you want to make the jump.

6. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Why would you miss the huge display?? Get the mini-DVI to DVi cable and you are good to go. (unless the display does not use DVI but they pretty much all do now)

7. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Good point. Every time you're at home, you can just plug in a USB keyboard and mouse and use the laptop in "clamshell" mode, where the laptop is closed, and becomes more of a desktop.

Really, with the market share apple has been gaining, and their recent rise to the biggest music retailer, there has never been a better time to switch. One warning though. You may find yourself spending excessive amounts of money. I was in the market for a $1000 laptop a year an a half ago, and now I'm sitting behind a $1500 iMac with a glistening, new 16GB iPod Touch 2G charging. :D:rolleyes::apple:

8. Random Gecko thread starter macrumors member

Haha, I so wanna do it, but I don't wanna end up buying one only to find a newer, better model comes out.

The rumoured aluminium doesn't really bother me, but I take it there will likely be hardware upgrades too? Are these things even in any way confirmed!?

And yeh, my monitor is DVI. I would probably get the Mini DVI to DVI lead and run it on that at home if I wanted to.

9. Random Gecko thread starter macrumors member

Another thing, what's this I keep seeing about a free iPod Touch!?

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

That ends today/tonight. Back to school deal. Buy a Mac get a free ipod touch and printer. Plus as always your student discount.

11. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If you want the free iPod, you have to order it before midnight tonight, or you lose the offer and might as well wait for the new ones. I didn't as I needed my MacBook for school, and as well as just wanted the iPod. The printer offer is almost always going on however.

The updates are in no way confirmed. Apple never even said there will be one, let along what it may include.

12. Random Gecko thread starter macrumors member

Interesting, thanks.

13. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

He is from London, the free iPod thing started today ;)

14. Random Gecko thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I saw this on the front page of this site. Hmmm...

15. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Do you play any games on your PC? If you do, then the Macbook may not be for you as it has no graphics card.

If you don't, then great, the Macbook is perfect. I know there are updates coming soon but even the current line-up are pretty speedy and with the ability to put in 4GB of RAM (not from Apple of course), they will last a really long time.

If you live in London, just head over to the Apple Store on Regent Street the next time you're in the area. That's the best way to test out the experience for yourself.

In terms of things that you'll miss, there shouldn't be anything. Macs can do everything PCs can - sometimes in a much faster, friendlier way.

16. Random Gecko thread starter macrumors member

No, I don't game at all, so ya know... :cool:

I only live in West Hampstead so it's really easy to get down to Regent Street. I'm gonna head down there on Friday I think.

17. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I play a lot of games on my Macbook and it does fine. They might not be the super intensive games like some play, but some are new ones that require some good graphics. So yes you can play some really good games on the Macbook. Don't listen to people who say you can't.