So before I head off to Apple and embarrass myself can anyone here help?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cx38, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Cx38 macrumors member

My phone gets very hot at random times throughout the day with light use (music at half volume, Tumblr) and I have no idea why. So far I've updated to 6.1.4, restored from back up & as new, drained iPhone and I'm stuck on what else to do. Ive checked the logs which make no sense to me what-so-ever and the obly thing that jumps out is <key>com.apple.cltm.Temperature8</key>
    <array>
    <real>35</real>
    <real>35</real>
    <real>35</real>
    <real>0.0</real>
    <integer>12</integer>

Which only jumps out cause it says temperature >.<

Have an appointment at apple today.

2. pmau macrumors 65816

The easy solution, you probably don't want to hear is to setup the phone as a new phone, without restoring from backup.

Problems with backups are that all the App data is restored even if you deleted the App.

Normally this helps...

3. Cx38 thread starter macrumors member

I have tried restoring as new and then re-syncing my music over which helped for all of two days /:

4. pmau macrumors 65816

Probably there's an App that's misbehaving... Also, push notifications sometimes causes a CPU burn loop inside "apsd" which is Apple's push notification process.

Restore again, don't allow push.

Are you using Exchange Mail accounts? They also misbehave sometimes.

5. Cx38 thread starter macrumors member

I have no email accounts linked to my phone at all. Will try again and hope for the best. Wouldn't mind but its Sunday and apple store is crazy here at weekends.

Thank you :)

6. sando88 macrumors newbie

The log detects that your phone is getting hot,I didn't saw any "panic" logs from your post which suggests that there are no hardware issues besides the temperature .Dido you notices your phone shutting down when it gets very hot,if it has that means that your protection is working,but anyway since you have tried restore as new and the problem is still there you should go to apple or get the phone to service,

7. Cx38 thread starter macrumors member

Hasn't shut down as of yet, but if I'm using an app that will crash and close. At the worst it just freezes and lags like no tomorrow. For example, last night with just web browsing safari crashed and then there would be ten second delays switching from one home screen slide to the other, often getting caught in between them

8. sando88 macrumors newbie

Well the best thing you could do is take it to apple,sounds to me like a hardware issue since it is a fresh installation,overheating can cause a lot of issues they will pop up when the run proper diagnostics,that's the only advice I can give,sorry that I wasn't much of a help,hope it works out for you.

9. Cx38 thread starter macrumors member

10. Merkie macrumors 68020

Don't allow push?! That's like saying to a Porsche owner with faulty brakes that he just should keep the car in the garage and not actually use it.

You're advice is ludicrous.

11. pmau macrumors 65816

No. I was just saying that he should restore and not allow push to see if that's the issue...

I did not mean to say "Never allow push".

12. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

My guess would be your phone is trying to access a network but with poor reception. How is the reception at the time it's running hot? Anything running that could be trying to fetch data?

13. Cx38 thread starter macrumors member

Reception is okay. Just have to reset network setting every 2-3 days or it dies on me even with full bars.

Just restored as new again

14. Merkie macrumors 68020

Alright, it didn't come over that way.

15. sando88 macrumors newbie

It's not that because he said apps are constantly crushing,it should be something else hardware related.

16. Cx38 thread starter macrumors member

On route to Apple. Only app open is this, no music. Restored as new phone prior to leaving, slightly warm. And the he is a she by the way :)

17. sando88 macrumors newbie

Let us know what happened,it's a strange problem so I am interested in apple's response.

18. Cx38 thread starter macrumors member

Probably something I'm doing to be honest. Never noticed it until I started rocking the naked look (not bent, in scuff from a drop). I'm not going there to demand a replacement unlike a lot of people with the 5 just to see if there's anything else I can change.

Getting hotter, music on half and MacRumors in Tapatalk.

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Which apple store you heading to? Personally Sunday's in an apple store.... No way!

20. Cx38 thread starter macrumors member

Nearest one to me, Kingston. Unfortunately I got landed with a 4:40 appointment :'( and Sunday is the only day I don't work

21. sando88 macrumors newbie

My guess is that the problem is not in the way you use the phone,and I don't think there is something you can do because you have restored as new and the issue is still there,probably the overheating bugged something in the hardware which is causing the software to crush and the continuous overheating,but they should be able to fix it,or replace the device.

22. Cx38 thread starter macrumors member

So far in the past thirty minutes I've had two crashes and my phone is now hot to the point I can feel it on the screen

23. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Ouch, guess I'm lucky I have lakeside two minutes away, blue water 15 minutes away, Stratford, Covent garden etc etc etc all a quick train ride away.

24. Cx38 thread starter macrumors member

For me it's Kingston then White City Westfields

25. Cx38 thread starter macrumors member

So there was an issue with hardware which wasn't triggering the high temperature warning. In warranty replacement and despite the rumours that they come in a hit and miss condition, mine us immaculate.