So can you return a 3GS and keep the unlimited or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

If I buy a 3GS now, and exchange it for the new iPhone when it comes out, will get to keep my unlimited data? I just want to know, because I keep hearing conflicting things.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

very simple previous ATT customers have the option to keep unlimited no matter if they had a dumb phone or a smart phone. so your fine!

3. Anthony T thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I'm not. I currently don't own an iPhone so I want to know if I should buy a 3GS now, and then return/exchange it when the new one is released.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

I check that with AT&T and get it in writing. normally it's 30 days return and Apple has a restocking fee. as far as I know 31 days you would be sol. so it would depend on the 4G actual release date. again I would talk to AT&T

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Buy it June 6th, then you have till July 6th to return it. There is no restocking fee.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unless you open it, then you have to pay a restocking fee.

7. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

Yep. If opened, it'll be 10% of the price of the cost of the phone. (Right?)

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ Yes. I do wonder if AT&T realizes that people are going to be trying to figure out crafty ways to get the $30 plan before the purported release date of the next gen iPhone.

9. icyfire macrumors 6502

also if you are a new customer, you have 3 days to return and get a refund on your activation fees. So my advice is to get the phone on June 6th and see whether it is being released on any other carriers on June 7th. Than at least you have until June 9th to return and get a refund on all your fees.