So close to getting the most wanted man on earth, no words to express my sorrow

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hieveryone, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

2. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Oh well. Can't go back in time, and OBL is dead.

Fretting over it would serve no purpose, and Clinton is a retired president.

I'm a 9/11 survivor. Just about everyone that worked in my old job for the port authority is dead. I joined the service because I wanted to kill OBL myself.

It's all history now. Coulda, shoulda...

3. Happybunny macrumors 68000

4. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

“I nearly got him. And I could have killed him, but I would have to destroy a little town called Kandahar in Afghanistan and kill 300 innocent women and children, and then I would have been no better than him.”

“And so I didn’t do it,” the former commander in chief says.

+1 for Bill.

Doubt it would have changed anything if they did get OBL though. Those attacks were already being planned for at least 2 years by 1998.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Clinton made the right choice at the time.

7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Yes clearly. I would be concerned if he gave serious contemplation to the decision at all - seems like a no-brained to me.

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm glad you brought this up, because I was thinking the same thing. By that point, Al Qaeda had the funding and organization to continue to pursue acts of terror.

In a cruel irony, however, Clinton's decision might have cost more lives than it saved because Kandahar faced intensive fighting after the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan, which would have been unnecessary if Bin Laden was already dead.

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

If you don't mind sharing your story I would love to hear it.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yes. But it was a humanitarian decision, not a prediction of the future.

In hindsight, one can enjoy as many "what ifs" as they wish. I've played more than a few myself.

But at the moment of the decision, I'm glad he went with the humane choice.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

So the question is ..... was it was the right decision or lesson learned? Hilary is almost a sure thing next election. What if she is put in a similar situation? I'm pretty sure she would think about her husband's decision.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Killing 300 innocents is a high price to pay. I would hope she understood the lesson that the future can't be predicted ... that the best thing any person can do is make one merciful and humane decision at a time, and hope for the best.