So do Americans agree on anything anymore?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Oct 9, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Apart from "American workers need a raise" (because of inflation and other costs that have risen well above it, like education and medical)?

2. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Why should we. Everyone argues what they feel is best for themselves.

3. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

So people never think about others or include others' well-being in their mindset?

4. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Not anymore. With Facebook and similar services, everyone has become an ideologue. I blame everything on millennials :D.

5. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Thanks for the input!

With Facebook and all, and its propensity for misuse (on both sides of the fence but I'd argue the side that brazenly uses an old photo of Woodstock to deceptively claim that's the number of people at an oil pipeline protest) is arguably worse than anything else.

Each generation does have its own parts to play of which there is no single branding or term that blankets all within, though there can be overlap...

6. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I still like to blame millennials for all the current problems :D.

7. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

We agree that the sky is blue.

Well except for those who are colorblind. They insist that it's grey.

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

No, not in a plurality. We are still sliding from a post WWII high, no longer flush in money, no longer an instant middle class built on factories on every corner, with those at the top trying to grab all the wealth for themselves. It was easy to be generous when the economy was firing on all cylinders.

We've got serious world wide economic competition. We've got to get serious about common goals, we need youth who are serious about education, and a society who is serious about funding the required educational paths to be globally competitive, which includes reasonably priced medical, and something along the lines of a funded social security system. That is the direction we need to head, not every person for themselves, not dog eat dog. We also have to insist on zero tolerance on corruption, a very high bar for humans.

While I agree that businesses that run on minimum wage will have to pay the significant slice of our populace who relies on these jobs enough money to survive, and that the customers will be have to be willing to pay 5% more to support such jobs, but ultimately, we have to get serious about being competitive *and* we have to insist on limits on the accumulation of wealth by individuals. Admittedly easier said than done under the framework of Capitalism, freedom, and how humans function. We'd have to agree on these kinds of limits. I don't see that happening any time soon.

I think it's easy to observe that any society where the top 8% hold 96% of the wealth is basically out of balance. But are we as humans able to to put our common interests on the same level with our personal needs? How do we define our personal needs? Is there any circumstance where a CEO should be paid millions, tens of millions, while rank and file workers are told sorry, we can't afford a pay raise for you? We've got to get a handle on greed, but I don't think Capitalism as a system or humans as we currently exist, are able to see and act on the best path forward. We pride ourselves on being the advanced species on the planet, but in actuality we are much closer to cave dwellers than we are to Star Trek Next Generation.

Then there is hypocritical religious based morality, but! i think I'll stop while I'm ahead. :p

9. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

The only thing Americans agree on is that a nice bloodbath Civil War would be cathartic.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Do Americans agree about anything? Yes. We agree about many aspects of human behavior, life and society. And for some reason we're prone to take those commonalities for granted while we instead focus on our differences.

11. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Those boomer parents raised them quite well. ;) :D

I wonder how much has truly changed over the decades, at times. When the boomers were tots... I dunno. If one or two variables weren't as considerable to the point that politicians would bring them up then it would be easier to legitimately place all the blame on just one group of people. I currently cannot ascribe to that but as new evidence comes in I might change my attitudes.

With needed education expenses so high, do not count on getting the youth getting excited. Enough of them have seen the trends over time.

People also overlook how Microsoft and other companies gave source code, schematics, and other tools to build them up - is it not unfair to overlook those conditions? Now even I imagine such items would have been stolen by espionage anyway, so the argument about Russia being a security risk or how Microsoft could conquer China seem silly despite the MSM putting out such silliness. Those two articles barely scratch the surface but it is not common knowledge, nor are they fringe tinfoil hat conspiracy sites.

5% is a nickel for every dollar. Oh, the pain, the pain of it alllll! /s

Customers want everything for free. Made worse by devaluing everything, leaving less money to spend so there's less real choice and freedom in the matter. Yet when customers become workers they want VP salaries, or so we are told. I don't know too many people that say they want a VP salary out of the gate. Also, the VPs claim what they do is so much more important than the workers who innovate for the companies to succeed with but when they screw up they get let go with a severance package that lasts them 300 years on the income we need to be barely considered "middle class".

Accumulation of wealth - the 1980s never ended and they likely never will.

But if we're wanting to go to go down the same path, the people wanting this system -- do they still have a right to complain if the system works against them?

How can a country that is "by, of, and for the people" be so anti-people?

Agreed, a balance is always necessary. Things are and have been for some time, especially education and that is going to hurt America and Americans far, far more than anything else.

I can guess what personal needs are, I reckon we'd both agree on a number of them - I suspect a few around here cannot regardless of how much information is said simply and succinctly to them. It, depending on what the needs are, means big and real changes. The worst part is, how many can disagree that we make products designed to fail? Does it hurt profit too much to take a $500 washing machine and replace a sleeve bearing motor with a ball bearing one since nobody wants to spend $550 for the same thing that will last far longer? How many people know the difference to something so rudimentary? Maybe there are other reasons why today's "energy efficient" devices truly don't last as long? (A real reason is wash times, even with identical quality motors between old and new, the new one will not last as long because the motor is used longer to make more efficient use of the water and after a certain point a motor built to last 30 years under the harsher conditions really will cost too much more. At least steel and plastic are easier to recycle than water. )

But after 35 years of trickle down where everyone applauds the top getting more yet the bottom has seen nothing despite what they were sold on the concept, that helps very little. There is arguably enough proof to show a correlation. And what were the reasons taxes were so high in the first place? Maybe for pork projects, maybe to ensure no one in America could become obscenely wealthy, whatever that means. Most companies were encouraged to reinvest in the company and its workers for tax breaks and other entitlements by government, of that I would bet a little bit of real money.

And STTNG was fiction, showing how humans might have evolved. "All in the Family" pretty much slapped people around using comedy to disguise it, at least until Carroll O'Connor retooled the show to be "less controversial" and those first three years were somewhat amazing, regardless of criteria used to judge. Hell, imagine the life of that communist a few millennia ago. What was his name, Jesus Christ?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2016 ---
    Ditto! Any society has to have certain commonalities to remain viable. Differences will always exist, sometimes rightly applied, sometimes wrongly. In either case accidentally, ignorantly, due to misunderstanding, or even conscious trickery those the one thing most people would agree on is that the latter qualifier is universally despised.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree the youth will never be excited to walk with their degree and $100k in debt. There is money in society to pay for this when we as a society decide this is a priority. It was estimated that when I went though pilot training in the 1980s that the cost to learn to fly a military aircraft was $2 million per pilot. I was really glad our Government and tax payers footed that bill. :)