So, do I need to upgrade to 8GB of RAM on my MPB?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iHalo, Mar 30, 2011.

1. iHalo macrumors regular

This is typical use... I don't do photo editing or anything. Just 12-13 tabs at a given time, reeder for mac, skype, adium, iChat, iTunes, pandora, reeder for mac, mail, and twitter for mac open all of the time, as well as caffeine, dropbox, alfred for mac, divvy, and flux running.

Attached Files:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Unless you're noticing problems, why upgrade?

3. satyanatha macrumors newbie

No, you just need to reboot your mac more often. That is what the bloated red part of the pie chart means in a nutshell. Try it.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

In your case it would be of marginal use to add more RAM. It is actually the job of the OS to find a use for every bit of RAM. so do not be surprized that it is all in use "page outs" is informative. The system will only page out if it needs more Ram and has to clear out space. In your case only 0.8GB were paged out sinsr the last reboot. So if you were to upgrade to 5GB you'd be as good as you could be. I doubt you'd notice the difference.

About the guy who said the red stuff was bad. No, that is wired in place because it is supporting a real time task like video or music playback or something like that Anyone who says to re-boot is likely and ex Windows user.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Like the others said, you can fix this by rebooting or even closing and reopening safari, but with ram so cheap, why not upgrade. I went from 2 to 8 for $40 awhile back

6. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

I wouldn't say you'd need more ram for what you use a computer for. 4GB is pretty sufficient and you still have 1gb free. I upgraded to 8GB and Photoshop instantly ate up 5-6.5gb. If you were more of a power user I'd say definitely.

If you're just wanting to ugprade, an SSD never hurt anyone ;)