So...do you think iPhone 5 will be released in June or October?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shockwave78, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

What do you guys think? Permanent cycle change to every October or will they go back to the usual June announcement/release.

2. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

i think it will depend on when the Galaxy S3 is out....

my heart wants June but my brain thinks October.

3. DanteMann macrumors 6502

The Galaxy series is on a 1 year cycle. Not sure why so many people (not implying you) on these forums think android phones get updated every month. So that would mean the GS3 will be released sometime in Sep/Oct in North America and in May/June in the rest of the world. BUT, if for some reason Samsung decides to go with a world launch (current rumor), then the GS3 will be in North America in May/June.

4. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

It really all depends on the availabilities in quantity of the Qualcomm 28 nm MDM9615 chipset which is supposed to come out in Q2. So to guess, I would say July/August on the shelves.

5. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

The iPhone 5 will be announced at WWDC 2012, guaranteed. Apple was aiming for the normal release of the iPhone 5 at WWDC 2011, but was concerned about Jobs' health at the time. The iPhone 4S was released since Jobs' health was dire. The 5 will not be going for a fall release.

That's my two cents.

----------

If the 5 is released in the fall, Apple will be making a huge mistake by allowing Droid followers to grow in numbers. Google gets their OS on so many cell phones its not even funny.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

My vote is for sometime in 2012, anybody want to place bets?

7. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

ah right actually i didnt know that. I remember hearing rumours of Q1 2012 but it seems that is false.

June would be nice!

8. DanteMann macrumors 6502

I personally hope they both get released June/July and stick to that cycle. I honestly think Apple will make bigger upgrades per new model from here on. It just doesn't seem logical to stick to small increments when your introducing a new model every year.
    If the performance jump from the Galaxy S to the Galaxy S2 is any indication of what to expect for the GS3 then expect another Phone of the Year from Samsung. Apple's market share isn't growing, it's massive loyal following is keeping it around. But even the loyal followers eventually jump ship if you keep playing catch up. Just look at RIM.

9. DroidRules macrumors 65816

I'm wondering when the iPhone 10 will appear.... I can't wait!

10. SurferMan, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011

SurferMan macrumors 65816

I'd be surprised at an June launch, I'd be less surprised by a Sept/Oct launch. The late release of the 4S had nothing to do with Jobs health, they had to work longer getting icloud and iOS5 functioning with all the new advancements, testing Siri, glitches with the A5 (which were rumored but never know), they switched vendors for some parts and even had issues at some factories causing delays (white 4 anyone?), plus there were parts on backorder and not just for Apple but for other companies including auto manufacturers b/c of the japan earthquake and tsunami. It's a world phone now, so there was a lot more work involved in getting this phone out vs before.

I think they'll stick to the fall schedule, kinda makes sense with being close to the holiday season ;)

11. Eager Beaver, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011

Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

If the sgs3 comes out in May/June I will be on it like flies on poop!
    I will sell my repackaged 4/4s to the first sucker who comes along !!!
    (don't laugh, it could be you - lol)

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

I'm going say fall because so many will still be under contract. People don't want to wait when the new model is released. I'm up next week I'm debating If I should get the 4S or wait.

13. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

I am not following you so well here.

In the US, with the customary 2 year contracts, the iphone 4 became available on June 24, 2010 and many buyers would go off contract June and July 2012. The major impediment for an LTE iphone 4S/5 was the current Qualcomm chipset and its high battery consumption. The new smaller mdm9615 is supposed to be available in Q2 which will support LTE and voice.

Taking all that into account and the increasingly competitive Android offerings I would guess July would be much closer to the release date as opposed to end of September/October.