So does OIS make a big difference?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lienhart, Sep 9, 2014.

1. lienhart macrumors 6502

lienhart

I was completely set on the 4.7, but after seeing the battery life and OIS on the 5.5 my mind is starting to wander a little :eek: Does OIS even make a difference? I go to a lot of festivals so recording videos and pictures in low-light is big for me. If anyone has any hands on videos that some sites have uploaded that'd be great too :)

2. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

curious on this too.

wishing the 4.7 had OIS as well.

3. Preed08 macrumors regular

Kinda silly that it doesnt.

This feature and the battery life is what is pulling me to that large ass phone

4. sjperformance macrumors 6502

we on the same boat. I was sold on the 4.7'' Didn't picture myself with a 5.5'' but honestly that seems like the better phone so that's what im going for. 6+ 64gb white/silver

5. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

I'm a photographer, so OIS is a huge draw for me.

But then I took my friends Note today and put it up to my face....

guys, I simply don't think I can do it.

----------

Well, here we go.

It makes a huge freaking difference:

http://youtu.be/YHhXsGxyy6o

6. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Isn't OIS for video only? It doesn't have anything to do with still photos, correct?

7. Imory macrumors 6502a

Well, that comparison is actually not really valid. Even though I agree with the fact that Nokia make excellent cameras in phones, I've never had a video taken with my 5/5S where it shakes that bad. Quite frankly, reading a review of the 5S would show that recording video with it is a good experience thanks to the digital IS. I think we really underestimate how good it is and quite frankly I'm really intrigued to see the difference compared to OIS. I don't expect the difference to be huge, but it might be significant in low light conditions.

As far as I know Apple introduced a new "stabilisation" software for video recording called "Cinematic Video Stabilization" which is for both the 6 and 6+.

----------

Actually, Apple is advertising the opposite. It seems they want to advertise a difference when taking photos, but not really when shooting video.

8. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Shoot me now.

I would so love this on the 4.7.

:(

9. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Depends on the implentation.

I have one lense that claims a 2 stop improvement. You still get motion blur, though.

I have another camera that claims 1-2 stop difference but on the horizontal axis only.

10. ronm99 macrumors 6502

OIS is definitely for still photos as well as video. As far as how much difference it makes, that depends on the implementation.

I have some lenses for my SLR where I can shoot about 4 stops slower with OIS without getting blur. That is HUGE. That almost allows you to shoot photos indoors with the same ease that you can shoot outdoors on a cloudy day.

I doubt the iPhone OIS will give a 4-stop improvement, but it will should make a huge improvement.

The one caveat with OIS is that it only works on still subjects. OIS lets you use a slow shutter speed while reducing blur caused by the phone jiggling. If your subject is moving, OIS will not help much.

11. phixionalninja macrumors member

OIS is there primarily to allow you to have a slower shutter speed in low light. It reduces the effects of camera shake, but it does nothing for subject motion, so low light photography of moving subjects does not benefit from OIS. Low light posed shots or shots of inanimate objects should benefit though.