So FaceTime will cost to be used by cellular?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Aug 7, 2012.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

:mad: people having to pay more just to use our data we're already paying for. That should not happen at all and I hope they come up with a super cheap monthly bill plan like 1GB for $10 instead of the stupid 200MB for $15
    We're in 2012 almost 2013 and we use way more data than years ago.

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

So far it will on AT&T. Sprint has said it won't cost anything.

3. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

4. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Agreed, these prices are atrocious... And, if I leave to switch to something like straight talk, If i come back to AT&T or Verizon for LTE, I will pay $100 plus tax... versus my $82 with tax now.

Also, you are SOOO right... I pay for 2 GB of Data on AT&T, I use maybe 1 GB... I should be able to use up the other 1 GB I pay for and never use for FaceTime if I want. We should be able to use the Data we are paying for... period, end of discussion...

----------

Here you go, here is 30 gallons of water for $30 (just a random value). Use it, drink it, its yours.

BUT, if you decide to put it in a Super Soaker, you will be charged an extra fee of $1 per gallon. Have a great day....

5. k3roro macrumors 6502

Did I miss something, the last I heard they were evaluating whether to charge separately for FaceTime.

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

What does that have anything to do with what I said?

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

That is what I thought too. Also, I really would only facetime when on WIFI and have probably used it a grand total of 2 times just to test it.

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

In time, I'm sure Verizon will follow AT&T's lead.

9. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I was demonstrating how ridiculous it is for AT&T to charge for FaceTime over Cellular. If you do not go over your data limit, I do not see why they should be able to charge you. You already paid for 2 GB, if anything, FaceTime over 3G/4G (assuming we get LTE) will make someone more likely to go over there limit if they use it often.

10. misterminibus macrumors newbie

misterminibus

im confused ? they are charging you to use facetime ? down the phone line or through a router ?

11. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

If carriers charge for FaceTime, just leave the iPhone, or that carrier. That is extremely unethical, and ridiculous they even have the balls to charge extra for that. They just hoping their customers are idiots and will go along, without question.

Data is data, should not matter one bit how I use it, as long as I stay in my monthly limit, there should be ZERO extra charge for how I use that data. This is just insane ATT can even think of trying this, unbelievable.

12. batting1000 macrumors 604

Phone line. iOS 6 has Facetime over 3G.

13. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

EXACTLY... like I said with my comment about buying water, It should not matter how we use it. We bought it... And we should only get charged if we need more.

14. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Not that I'm defending at&t for quite possibly charging for FaceTime data usage but they have not made anything official yet.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

tethering should be the same way....who cares how you use the data you pay for.

16. Syk macrumors 6502a

17. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yeah, why is it that no one is complaining about tethering? It's the same thing.

18. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Very true, but on the new Share Everything plans... Tethering is included, but they are more expensive for individuals.

19. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

While I agree that tethering is a stupid thing to charge extra for, especially with the death of the unlimited plan. The possibility of charging for face time takes the cake. At least when you are tethering it could be justified because you are using a different device. With facetime, you are using your data plan for the intended purpose. ON YOUR PHONE! AT&T shouldn't even have to discuss this. If they charge for it, there will be an uproar (or maybe not since no one uses facetime anyways).

20. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Come on people, lets be realistic. Everyone knows FaceTime uses a lot of bandwidth, there is no way cell phone companies can maintain that bandwidth for no additional cost. While I understand people don't want to pay more, people have to realize newer technology will equal higher prices.

Consumers need to stop with the notion that everything should be free. Everything has a cost. Besides, most people I've seen only use FaceTime at home or at the office where there is WiFi.

21. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

You are the one being unrealistic. If I watch 2 gigs of YouTube videos that's fine, but if I watch 2 gigs of FaceTime it costs an extra fee.

Extra fees are fine for things that cost more, nobody here is looking for a free data plan, they are looking for a data plan that isn't stupidly double charging for the same thing. I paid for 17,179,869,184 bits, and it doesn't matter whether each is a 1 or a 0. You are suggesting that if some of those bits happen to be in a specific order then they should be charged an extra fee. That is ridiculous.

22. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Well said. I feel the same about tethering, but like it was already stated, it is using another device... So I am not as upset about it as I am the FaceTime over Cellular.

----------

I think we might see more people use it if you can use it over 3G/4G... I know I would.

If I am at home... I use my iPad or Laptop with Skype.

On the go, I wouldn't mind using FaceTime with my GF or my parents from time to time, especially when I am out of town for work/vacation. And If you wanna show someone something in the moment, rather than through pictures (just as a quick example that came to mind).

23. Syk macrumors 6502a

Same question as before can you skype over 3g? I just looked in the app store and it looks like you can.

If so AT&T is real foul if they are planning on charging for facetime. I don't use facetime. I tried it with my son but that's about as far as it went.

I think you should be able to use your data how you please but I can at least give reason to them charging for tethering because it's a different device but when using the device you bought the data plan for that's wrong.

Next thing you know, they'll want to charge you additional for each service you use, netflix, amazon movies, pandora, etc etc

AT&T needs to shut up and build up their infastructure to handle data.

24. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

That's code for "we haven't figured out how much we can charge and the proper way to market it without of our customers pushing back. Once hit the sweet spot of where our profits are maximized, we'll let you know.":D

25. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Pretty much