So far my new 11'' has been nothing short of amazing

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by BlackFalcon448, Jun 18, 2012.

1. BlackFalcon448 macrumors member

So I just received my 11'' Air this morning. For some reason I didn't have to sign for it.(fedex said something about my signature being on file or something) Anyway, as I type this post on my my new Air, I can't be more impressed. I have the i7 with the 8 GB ram and 256 GB SSD. The SSD speeds are amazing; I'm getting around 450 MB/s write speed and around 500 MB/s read speed. BTW, it's a samsung SSD. This thing completely blows my old white macbook out of the water, it's pretty amazing how much of a difference there is.

The battery life is almost exactly what Apple said it was. See picture below.

[​IMG]

Anyway, I hope this computer lasts at least through college, maybe more. the SSD really helps.

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Glad to see you're enjoying using it. I can't wait to get my 11" ultimate this week or next!

What did you use to measure the SSD speeds? Could you test it out with Blackmagic Speedtest from the Mac App Store?

3. kierennyc macrumors regular

I bought exactly the same machine today.

I have a 2008 macbook unibody which has served me very well for almost 4 years, but I had an itch to get a new laptop and was attracted to the 11' air because of its ultra portability (the main use for my new purchase would be work related, so it didnt need to be my 'main computer' so to speak).

So far I love it. The size, weight and feel of the machine is amazing. I had my reservations about getting a laptop with an 11' screen but so far its been fine. The screen on the 11' is a lot better than my 08' macbook and it goes without saying the SSD vs platter drive makes a huge difference to the overall computing experience.

I intend to keep using my 08 macbook as a home machine. It already has a 1tb drive and 8gb ram so it can handle the basic computing that I need it for. So the air will be my work and out & about machine.

I do still have in the back of my mind the fact I could swap this out for the 13' model for just $50 more. I'm going to use it for a week and see how I feel. If I think the trade off for a tad more weight/size is worth it for the bigger screen, I will return the 11' and go for the 13' air instead.

4. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I couldnt decide between the 11 or the 13. I ended up with the 13 hope I dont regret it. the 11 sure is nice

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

i ordered the 13", but after messing around with them in store, i went with the 11"...just returned the 13"

6. rygamble macrumors regular

I messed around with them in the store, and I just thought the 11" was too small, so I ordered the 13" that I'm currently typing on. Couldn't be happier! To each his own, I guess :)

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

random, but they gave me a student discount when i bought online and then again when i bought in store....when i returned the online order in store, they said just keep the app card haha. I am rocking $200 in app store money :)

8. glen e macrumors 68030

Moved from a 128 i5 4g 2011 to a 128 i7 8g

I can tell a diff - not a lot, but it is noticeable

9. kjgilligan macrumors newbie

I also had that decision to make and went with the 13". I love it and am very happy with my choice.

10. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Wow !

11. BlackFalcon448 thread starter macrumors member

The speeds I quoted were from the blackmagic app.