So, for the gun owners...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SquireSCA, Dec 3, 2018.

1. SquireSCA Suspended

SquireSCA

Seeing so many politically charged, but surprisingly civil debates on this matter(for the most part)... I do see quite a few on the pro-gun side here... so for my fellow gun geeks... what's your favorite ones?

If you live in states that are restrictive, what would you own, if they weren't such babies about it?

Personally, while I have plenty of pistols, I kinda dig revolvers more. Just something "classic" about them, even if they hold less rounds and are slower to reload, there is something satisfying about a solid revolver in a decent caliber... .357, .44 mag, etc... Even the .38 special, is one of my primary carry weapons due to its small size, decent power and utterly simplicity and reliability...

For rifles, hard to knock an AR. Just so easy to work on, build and you can configure it for almost any application... would have to say my favs are my AR in .300 Blackout, and either the Tavor x95 or Beretta ARX100. The .300 Blackout is a 10.5 barrel, so very compact but delivers full sized AK47 ballistics, so good for defense or deer, hogs, coyote...

But for the cool factor, the ARX and Tavor get the nod. Just amazing weapons, so easy to work on, and a joy to plink with...

My buddy has some property and we are setting up steel gongs at 500 yards or so, and gonna have some fun with target shooting at long distances with the above rifles, and some bolt guns like .308... Would love to build up an AR15 in .224 Valkyrie... Supersonic out past 1200 yards, it is an astounding varmint and long range target round...

Anyway, rather than debate laws and statistics, what are your personal favs?

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

went from Glocks to 1911's when I started carrying, I love .45 vs 9mm and .40
    the best part of AR's is their lego feature, you can swap uppers rather easily and play with calibers all in the same platform.
    being in CA means mine are neutered to 10 rds :(

3. SquireSCA thread starter Suspended

SquireSCA

I feel for ya. I grew up and lived in NJ, which isn't much better than CA.

Love 1911's, just picked up a new Kimber Pro Carry II recently, plus a Turkish made "GI" model to have one with that old school WWI look and feel to it.

I like Glocks, but don't have many. The wife carries a G43, and I am picking up a Glock 17 tomorrow, but mainly because I got a KelTec Sub2000 over the weekend that takes G17 mags, so I figured it would be good to have a pistol and carbine in the same mag configuration... Magpul makes G19/17 mags now really cheap. Just ordered a half dozen 17 round mags, brand new for less than $10 each!

4. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

As of now, I’m done with AR’s. It’s too much of a hassle to build these damn things in California with the never ending law changes. I’m happy with what I have though, which is pretty much 1 of everything. I don’t have a revolver so that’s on my list. Until I transfer to Oklahoma, I’ll buy more hunting rifles and 1911’s. The laws I want changed are being able to open carry, magazines with no ammunition limits and nothing more than a 24 hour “cool down period” for your first firearm purchase.

5. raqball macrumors 68000

1911's rock...

Have my service weapon that was given when I retired and that's it at the moment.. Thinking about stocking up on a few more since the country is going to hell in a handbasket......

6. SquireSCA thread starter Suspended

SquireSCA

CA is such a beautiful state, but you can't pay me enough to live there. It's a mess, politically. Move back to America and take part in what we have to offer! :)

7. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

My father-in-law is a gun enthusiast (to put it mildly) and after we moved from Oregon to California he decided to come stay with us and he brought most of his collection with him, as he didn't want to leave it alone for two weeks, yes seriously.

We didn't mind so much but amongst them are a tommy gun and an AR 15, we had zero idea of magazines, etc. but I know in CA the laws are tight about this stuff so even though we warned him he brought them anyway. We just locked them up in our safe for him while he was here but worried what may have happened if he were stopped with them.

8. SquireSCA thread starter Suspended

SquireSCA

It's not a bad idea, you never know. It might not even be something to do with our government or politics... There could be a solar flare that fries our electric grid and communications satellites. Something completely nature, but it would take at most, 2 weeks for society to break down into freakin thunderdome.

At that point, those that thought ahead will be in better shape, but there is a downside to those that prepared will be when people get hungry, they are gonna come and try to take what you have...

When people are scared and hungry, they will do anything.

No, I am not a "prepper" and I have no real plans for a doomsday scenario, but to be honest, the way things are going, I probably should... haha

It doesn't hurt to be a little prepared...
    --- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2018 ---
    Yeah, CA is horrible for gun owners. So many of the things they ban out there are cosmetic... Things that have nothing to do with power, rate of fire, lethality, etc... And the magazine bans... Waste of time. What does a 10 round limit do, if I can buy literally hundreds of magazines? LOL

It's another 'feel good' measure that doesn't actually provide any public safety. To date, the most deadly school shooting in US history was done with a handgun with 10 round mags, not an AR15 and 30 rounders...

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I grew up in New Zealand so I'm pretty familiar with rifles and shotguns, small arms not so much never had the need.
    I'd think it would piss some of the Brits here off but many Republicans would thank Americans for the supply of AR15's (and Barrett .50's down in South Armagh ) to resist the British Army.Indeed this gives truth to the lie that countries that ban some guns won't be able to resist a tyrannical government or foreign invaders if every citizen is not armed, as the saying goes needs must and a way will be found:

10. SquireSCA thread starter Suspended

SquireSCA

It’s not that we will resist the government, it is that we could, if we needed to. Just like 92% or so instances of defensive gun uses don’t require a shot being fired, so too is this... the fact that we can, says that we will probably never have to.

Anyway, back to discussing your fav guns...

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

he needs to be really careful there , especially concerning the magazines & AR features.
    FREEDOM meme.
    [​IMG]

12. Zenithal macrumors G3

I've got a handful of handguns ranging in various caliber. I own more rifles than handguns. I think there's a way to counteract the surge of high profile shootings, but there's better ways to guide the nation rather than wide sweeping laws that put people in peculiar situations.

13. SquireSCA thread starter Suspended

SquireSCA

I think I am like 2/3 handguns and 1/3 rifles... plus some shotguns... gonna head to the range tomorrow, have like 4 rifles I need to sight in.

Picked up a Holosun 510c... a lot like an EOTech but not as expensive...

14. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Just curious - how is this topic either politics, religion or social issues? What's next...

What's your favorite color?

15. SquireSCA thread starter Suspended

SquireSCA

Guns are a hot political topic. It’s nice to be able to discuss them without inane arguing, no? If it’s not your cup of tea, over on to something that is.

16. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Right, but this thread is not about the politics of guns. It would seem a gun forum would be more appropriate for this type of discussion. Just saying.

17. SquireSCA thread starter Suspended

SquireSCA

Fine, how does everyone feel about the left trying to legislate away your favorite weapons?

Happy?

18. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Yep, I'm putting my political differences aside in this one, besides the way this was topic was approached is completely reasonable IMO. Like them or not, they're part of every day life here.

19. Zenithal macrumors G3

I know a lot of liberals who like guns. I'm fairly certain there's a vocal minority who think a 22 is a dangerous weapon that could kill hundreds rather rapidly. That said, I save money on ammo by buying quality reloads by people I've known for years. Having said that, hunting has gotten far too expensive and I'd rather go fishing than go to a range if I have a lot of free time. My best take for deer was probably about 60 lb of usable lean meat. Skin was sold to the land owner and other things I didn't care for. I did take the liver and make it into fishing bait that lasted a long time.

Wild hog is a bit better, but if the meat smells awful, it's easier to cut it up and let wildlife forage. Fishing is a little cleaner and easier, IMO. If the fish is infected with parasites, which you can make out, you just throw it overboard. It'll be eaten within minutes if not a few hours. A company I used to charter a boat which was more like a yacht with buddies had incredible flash freezers on board. We could dress a fish, inspect its flesh and then vacuum pack and freeze it under 20 minutes of killing it from the live animal tank onboard. Large tuna would get done instantly once boarded and measured.

Some areas of the state have decent surf fishing. You can get away with sea bass regularly. On the furthest southern point of the state, with cold and drizzly weather, you can sometimes get small but legal tuna family fish that go astray from the schools.

20. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

It's funny the "left" has been wanting to take away my guns for as long as I can remember yet I still have them and have bought more. The "left" is either not very good/organized or they're someone's default Boogeyman.

21. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I have four favorites. I'll makes posts as I have time.

Starting with #4:

AM180

[​IMG]

This is an old, heavy machine gun. What makes it special is that it uses .22lr, which is meaningful in many ways:
    • It's the only machine gun that's actually affordable to feed
    • It's pleasant to use due to very little muzzle blast and essentially no recoil whatsoever
    • A large drum and a tiny round mean very high capacity (160 to 275 rounds, depending on the drum)
    • Because there is no recoil and it is so heavy, it is extremely controllable
    • The combination of high controllability, high capacity, and high firing rate mean you can do interesting things like using the firearm to draw a happy face or sign your name, assuming you have a sufficiently large target paper
    The big drawback is that the drum is so heinously difficult to load that you'll never want to actually use the gun.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, there is the GM XM214 that as the "Six Pack," a small caliber minigun that includes 1,000 rounds.

Deer hunting is still pretty solid here, and there's a couple of good processors around still.

Nice. I still enjoy getting a big haul of rainbow trout in the rivers in Arizona and New Mexico. It's easy and fun, and I've started fishing from a new kayak.

On guns, I've reworked one my dad's old M14 into a bullpup rifle with one of the Juggernaut kits—friend of a friend connection—and that's still fun to shoot.

My grandfather's .30-30 is a joy, but I've got to get his shotgun worked on. I'm not much for pistols. My grandfather's 1911 and my uncle's Army issue .38 S&W are really more museum pieces.

I keep noodling around with getting a semi-automatic pistol, but the ones I like are expensive and I just haven't cared enough to spend the money.

23. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

#3:

M249 Paratrooper

FN_M249_PARA_Rotators_1-1200x600.png
    My understanding (which could certainly be wrong because I'm not a soldier) is that LMGs are used mostly for suppression because nobody expects them to be accurate.

So when I first got to use one of these, I was amazed that I could hit a steel IPSC target at 350 yards (if you don't know what that is, it's basically a torso sized steel plate). The second thing that amazed me is that even ripping it at full auto, many hits still landed on the target and most hits landed within a few feet. Up until this point, the impression that I had in my head is that LMGs were so uncontrollable that at 350 yards you wouldn't be able to hit anything but a hillside.

The only drawback I see to this particular firearm is that it is very expensive to feed, and unlike the Army, I don't have taxpayers buying my ammo. I don't know the rate of fire, but I'm guesstimating that using the M249 costs about $25/minute in ammo at typical retail cost.

On a side note, I have also used a semi-automatic version of this. It seems...wrong.

24. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The SAW in all it's configurations is could never burn through $25 per minute because they never fire when you need them to. :eek:

Really though when machine gunners set-up that talk their guns which means no more than one or two are firing at the same time and only for three second bursts. The SAW used in small units is really just for rear security as a squad moves and rarely has more than 100 rounds on a belt.

25. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'd love to have a PS90, but they're pretty pricey (and out of production, I believe). The "cool" factor of those is just through the roof.

Next up on my list would be a S&W 686, preferably a 6-shot in 4 inch, and a Mossberg Shockwave. That thing looks like boatloads of fun.