So for those of us who don't want to have a passcode to unlock our phones....

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by GonzagaDynasty, Oct 21, 2014.

1. GonzagaDynasty macrumors regular

We're kinda screwed as far as apple pay is conferenced, no?

I run daily and and the arm band I use won't work with the finger print scanner obviously and its a huge pain to type in the code while I'm running, so I've never wanted to use a pass lock on my phone.

I noticed when you set up apple pay it turns it on automatically, and disabling it not only disables Apple pay, but deletes all your cards too.... So if you want Apple pay, you're going to have to have your phone locked at all times and I hate this

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You hate that Apple put a security layer in place to prevent unauthorized users from making purchases using your phone?

That's like saying you hate it when a store asks to see your ID before they will run your credit card.

Slap a passcode on there and carry on with your life.

3. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

There are times I have both hands full from the grocery store and can't quite turn the knob on the door getting in my house. I think I will remove the doors, never mind what I keep inside. Surely no one would come in if they noticed my lack of doors.

I'm being a smart a$$ but really, I can see its probably hard to run and login to the phone but unless its all you do, I would secure the device. I'm surprised at this point its not a default requirement.

4. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Disable the Passcode when you're running and after you're finished, turn it back on for the reality that is life in the world today.

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

You see, his trouble with that is outlined above. When you turn off the passcode, you remove all that is Apple Pay. That would be tedious to redo over and over.

6. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Well what do you do with your phone when running? Siri might be able to do most of it

8. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

Haha, a definite first world problem.

This is kind of like why it's a law to have a helmet when really you are only screwing yourself(yes, I know how long term healthcare could be a burden on everyone but from the most basic sense, it's only 1 person who dies from not wearing a helmet)

I have the same problem as you. I just use an ipod when I'm working out. I'm surprised you like having that thing strapped to your arm. One reason I changed is because it was bulky on my arm when lifting weights and would be sort of uncomfortable to do any kind of exercise where my arm might be flexed. Switch over to a small iPod Nano like I did amd just put your phone in your pocket or something.

9. outphase macrumors 65816

I actually do hate this because it's for the store's benefit, not mine. It's like they're presuming that I am not the authorized user of the card I just gave them.

10. Armen, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Having a merchant check your Identity before they run your credit card is for YOUR protection. Would you rather fight your bank and try to prove fraud if someone stole your card and used it and there was no checks in place to ensure that he/she was you?

11. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Nah not screwed. Just use cash and forget A-Pay. Or strap a VISA on your arm band while running and use that when you need to pay for something. :confused:

Curious though, What exactly are you doing with you phone while running that you need press the touchID or enter a passcode? I mean are you launching an app or responding to a message or whatever? Or what are you are doing other than listening to music? (really asking not being sarcastic)

12. outphase macrumors 65816

They check your ID because merchants are left hanging in a fraudulent credit card transaction. Consumers aren't liable for fraudulent purchases.

edit: saw your edit
    I don't like being treated like a potential fraudster. I've never had to fight Citi or Amex to reverse fraudulent charges. An ID isn't going to stop someone from making fraudulent charges.

13. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Oops.

14. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

This. Or instead of messing with the Settings each time, just launch a free program called aClock, which shows a clock and can be pre-configured to not lock, even on battery power. It can even be used to make a music playlist for use when running or working out.

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

So if you were a cashier at Macy's and asked to see ID before you ran a Credit Card transaction and the person hands you ID where the name doesn't even match the card you wouldn't be suspicious? :rolleyes:

16. outphase macrumors 65816

That is not what I said at all, and you know it. If you want to give a cashier your personal information including your name and home address, go ahead. I prefer not to.

Apologies to OP for going off-topic.

17. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I don't use a passcode. As often as I lock and unlock my phone (and often times, I just lock/unlock for no apparent reason), I would get extremely annoyed at having to enter a passcode each time. But I guess I'll have to learn the hard way before I put one on.

18. SusanK macrumors 68000

Apple store is the only place requires my ID when I use a credit card.

19. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

I was the same way until last week when I picked up a iP6. In fact, one the best parts of my JB'd iP5 was that I set up Activator to bypass the "Slide to Unlock" with a quick double press of the Home button! Now I have no choice but to adopt and adapt if I want to use Apple Pay, which I really do.

20. WaveGawd macrumors newbie

I had this problem in the begining. I had to turn off passcode, which deleted all my credit card info with no warning.

after that i was able to switch pass code to every four hours. so now i dont have to enter a password/fingerprint to clear the lock screen

----------

yeah i hate that. They cant purchase with out the finger print anyway so what exactly is being protected with this redundant security measure.

21. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

So I take it you don't purchase Alcohol, Tobacco or Spray paint,go to Night Clubs, Bars, Fly, Buy a gun? All of those require a person checking your ID as do medical and other services.

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

We salute you!

23. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Unfortunately, I may have to do the same if Apple Pay becomes more widespread.

24. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

you can unlock with one click of the button using TouchID. Press the home button to wake the phone and leave your finger on the scanner for a moment;)

25. Homegrown-5 macrumors newbie

As said above, I can unlock my phone as fast or faster with Touch ID enabled than without. I press the home button and leave my finger there for a second and presto home screen. The original way requires pressing the home button and then slide to unlock.