So frustrated! Need help with Verizon iPhone 5 upgrade issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by It'sMyPrecious, Sep 22, 2012.

1. It'sMyPrecious, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

It'sMyPrecious macrumors regular

Ok, I'm not 100% sure if this is the right place to put this question.

Anyways, my mom and I are part of a family plan. She has a dumbphone with no data, while I have an iPhone 4s with a data plan of $30 per 2 gb per month. I've had my iPhone 4s since January 2012, and she's had her phone since 2009. Her phone is now eligible for an upgrade, but my phone will not be eligible for an upgrade until September 2013, so to hell with waiting.

I want the iPhone 5 right now, so what I want to do is to use my mom's upgrade to get an iPhone 5 for $199. I want to keep my existing data plan of $30 per 2gb/month, and use my existing data plan with the iPhone 5. My mom still wants to keep her existing dumbphone with NO data plan, because you know how older people are (no offense against the older generations)--she doesn't need data!

Is such an upgrade possible? If so, do I have to visit a Verizon store to complete this upgrade, or can I go to any 3rd party retailer like Best Buy?

I am afraid something might go wrong; for example, I might be forced into a more expensive data plan that's like $50 per 1 gb :)mad:). Or my mom might be forced to buy a data plan for an extra $30 per month :)mad:). Any advice?

Thank you!!

Note: I'm pretty frustrated right now because I finally found a store that had the iPhone 5 (Radioshack) and the two guys there spent 1 hour trying to figure out how to complete this upgrade...with no luck. :(

2. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

I you are the primary on the account, you should be ok. I think you. Can transfer the upgrade and not have to change plans.

If it were me, I'd go to a Verizon store. RadioShack sucks. IMO.

Good luck.

3. It'sMyPrecious thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks! Yeah the Radioshack guys had no idea what they were doing. :(

I talked to Best Buy and they said they could upgrade my mom's line to an iPhone 5 with a data plan. And then I would need to personally call Verizon to move the iPhone 5 to my line and move my mom's line back to her dumb phone. Calling Verizon = something I'm not willing to do because it's a pain in the ... and half the time they won't even bother to understand your question.

I want to personally go to a Verizon store to get my phone but all Verizon stores within a 500mil radius of where I live are out of iPhone 5's! And they told me they won't get any in stock until October 19th. :mad:

4. pat park, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

pat park macrumors 6502a

sorry, mis read OP's post and posted some bad info.

Good luck OP!

ipadlover123 and sulpfiction, please accept my deepest apologies for my inaccurate reading and thus poorly worded reply. I really hope this doesn't ruin your day and we can still be friends.

I realize how much stress my post caused you, I am forever gutted over this. I hope we can all walk away from this and remain friends.

5. iPadlover123 macrumors member

He has a 2gb plan, not the unlimited. Read the original post before replying.

And there are ways to keep unlimited if you have it. I've done it and so have many others.

6. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Lol.. I find it funny that people post responses without reading the OP. he doesn't have unlimited data. He has 2g for $30.

7. pat park macrumors 6502a

my bad. I hope you 2 feel better about yourselves.

I mis read. Sorry.

8. It'sMyPrecious thread starter macrumors regular

Hey, it's fine. :) Happens to everyone. Thanks anyways!

Anyways, I wonder if I should just go to Best Buy and take a risk and get the iPhone. And if they somehow mess up the upgrade/transfer/switching whatnot, maybe I can go to a Verizon store afterwards, in person, to get it sorted out? Or is this a bad idea?

I don't know if I can stand waiting until 10/19 to get my phone. Urgh...