So glad I escaped Ohio


scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
7,028
1
back in NYC!
The Article said:
Parsley has written that the teachings of Islam were inspired by demons.
:rolleyes: Sigh...

The Article said:
"Reformation Ohio is about history-making times, reforming the culture," Blackwell said. "We are a government that governs only with the consent of the governed."
Ironic that the historical reformation (the 16th century one in Europe) was a step away from tyrannical religious governments, and this 'Reformation Ohio' group is a step towards a tyrannical religious United States.

leekohler said:
Wow. I'm glad I moved.
So am I :).

_Emerson
 

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
14,162
19
Chicago, Illinois
scem0 said:
:rolleyes: Sigh...


Ironic that the historical reformation (the 16th century one in Europe) was a step away from tyrannical religious governments, and this 'Reformation Ohio' group is a step towards a tyrannical religious United States.



So am I :).

_Emerson
Did you notice the weird call-to-arms language? Like they're getting ready for war.
 

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
7,028
1
back in NYC!
yeah, it definitely freaks me out.

The Article said:
"Sound an alarm. A Holy Ghost invasion is taking place. Man your battle stations, ready your weapons, lock and load," Parsley said to enthusiastic applause.
Where did that vomit smilie go...

_Emerson
 

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
1,690
2
San Francisco
leekohler said:
Did you notice the weird call-to-arms language? Like they're getting ready for war.
This is old "Onward Christian Soldiers" stuff. It is amazing that in a country dominated by Protestant Christian sects that many are successfully indoctrinated in the belief that Christians are persecuted. Very effective propaganda for getting people's backs up, if not particularly grounded in reality.
 

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
2,435
5,494
OBJECTIVE reality
Well, having just said this, let me be slightly hypocritical and suggest that we -- mainstream Christians, agnostics and non-believers -- need to demonize the "Christian" right more.

This bigotry, this zealousness, this involvement in politics -- this is not Christianity. This is a cross between a cult and the KKK.

It deserves to be called it, and it deserves to be treated as such. It would help if priests, rabbis and mainstream Protestant ministers would denounce these organizations from their pulpits.

And -- I'm not saying this because I live in Ohio, I'm saying it because I believe it -- this is happening everywhere. Don't think you're safer because you live across the border.
 

iDM

macrumors 6502a
Religion and many of its supporters scare me, alot. Hitler believed in god too.

I guess what scares so much is that alot of these religious supporters are still RACIST and OPPERSIVE. Religion has been supported by people and countries that have had there hands in some pretty nasty things genocide, slavery. How can someone who supports religion so strongly such as our current president, absolutely destroy and even go as far as to turn around so many environmental efforts. Why would he a god fearing Christian do everything is his power to destroy gods green earth?!?!?!?!

My final rant no one has explained to me in a extensive manner is how god or Allah or whoever is out there can let hundreds of thousands of people die in natural disasters or allow an entire continent to be forced into slavery? If god created earth he can suppress earth quakes. He can create lightening to strike people like Hitler and Stalin and Christopher Columbus right where they stand.

I'd really like someone to argue against me on this as i have yet to find someone give a real argument as oppose to "God works in mysterious ways" or "Those are gods children and they are now with him in heaven" cause those are BS cop-out excuses.

I feel like so much of religion involves people using these BS phrases such as "That's how god works" "There must be a reason God did this"
 

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
14,888
2,480
St. Louis, MO
I'm normally a pacifist, but this is the one time I support sending the riot police in somewhere with the orders to shoot to kill.
 

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
3,647
661
Colly-fornia
Thomas Veil said:
Well, having just said this, let me be slightly hypocritical and suggest that we -- mainstream Christians, agnostics and non-believers -- need to demonize the "Christian" right more.
I do. They don't listen to me when I do it because obviously I hate Christianity. Perhaps if more Christians would stand up to these kinds of people and say you don't speak for me things would improve.

This bigotry, this zealousness, this involvement in politics -- this is not Christianity. This is a cross between a cult and the KKK.

It deserves to be called it, and it deserves to be treated as such. It would help if priests, rabbis and mainstream Protestant ministers would denounce these organizations from their pulpits.

And -- I'm not saying this because I live in Ohio, I'm saying it because I believe it -- this is happening everywhere. Don't think you're safer because you live across the border.
It's not that Christianity shouldn't be involved in politics, it just shouldn't be used to restrict rights.

And I also am fascinated by the ability of a majority religious group's ability to persuade their followers that they are being oppressed in this country.

Speaking of which, I'm guessing it's almost time for our resident martyrs to proclaim how they can't say MERRY CHRISTMAS anymore because of how oppressed they are. So they'll be down here in the political forum shouting MERRY CHRISTMAS to prove that they can't say MERRY CHRISTMAS because of people like me. (ie. 'you libs') ;) I'm guessing it will happen any day now. 'Tis the season....
 

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
11,745
3,992
Republic of Ukistan
mactastic said:
Speaking of which, I'm guessing it's almost time for our resident martyrs to proclaim how they can't say MERRY CHRISTMAS anymore because of how oppressed they are. So they'll be down here in the political forum shouting MERRY CHRISTMAS to prove that they can't say MERRY CHRISTMAS because of people like me. (ie. 'you libs') ;) I'm guessing it will happen any day now. 'Tis the season....
Bored and restless?
:)
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,951
3
Gone but not forgotten.
It looks like my move there should be even more interesting. I think I'll invite them to visit. :D I wonder if I can find a full size Japanese flag.

I'd dealt with the narrow-minded people in Indiana for years and, even though they'd learned better, they're still in that mindset that only Cauc-asians should rule. Of course, those Cauc-asians are supposedly devout Christians, too, but they can hardly be linked to the majority of scripture.

Indeed, it's quite an atmosphere there. It's no wonder Abercrombie & Fitch were the receipients of a discrimination lawsuit.
 

iDM

macrumors 6502a
bousozoku said:
It looks like my move there should be even more interesting. I think I'll invite them to visit. :D I wonder if I can find a full size Japanese flag.

I'd dealt with the narrow-minded people in Indiana for years and, even though they'd learned better, they're still in that mindset that only Cauc-asians should rule. Of course, those Cauc-asians are supposedly devout Christians, too, but they can hardly be linked to the majority of scripture.

Indeed, it's quite an atmosphere there. It's no wonder Abercrombie & Fitch were the receipients of a discrimination lawsuit.
Care to elaborate on the discrimination lawsuit? I'm not familiar with that one!
 

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
765
0
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
I've only been to Ohio once (Dayton) and it seemed like the kind of place where if you could get hassled for having long hair and wearing John Lennon glasses. i kinda felt like everyone needed to get laid or stoned or both. Now, I could be totally off base, but some of my Ohio emigrant friends have corroborated this. Of course, they all now have blue hair and nine piercings and wear black Front 242 shirts.
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,951
3
Gone but not forgotten.
tristan said:
I've only been to Ohio once (Dayton) and it seemed like the kind of place where if you could get hassled for having long hair and wearing John Lennon glasses. i kinda felt like everyone needed to get laid or stoned or both. Now, I could be totally off base, but some of my Ohio emigrant friends have corroborated this. Of course, they all now have blue hair and nine piercings and wear black Front 242 shirts.
Dayton isn't such a bad place but there are some strange things going on all over Ohio. The state seems a lot stranger than it was when I left there in 1988.
 

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
2,435
5,494
OBJECTIVE reality
tristan said:
I've only been to Ohio once (Dayton) and it seemed like the kind of place where if you could get hassled for having long hair and wearing John Lennon glasses. i kinda felt like everyone needed to get laid or stoned or both. Now, I could be totally off base, but some of my Ohio emigrant friends have corroborated this. Of course, they all now have blue hair and nine piercings and wear black Front 242 shirts.
Cleveland's a helluva lot hipper than that. Blue hair might get you a few stares, but nothing else. Once you get too far into the 'burbs, however....
 

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
14,162
19
Chicago, Illinois
Thomas Veil said:
Cleveland's a helluva lot hipper than that. Blue hair might get you a few stares, but nothing else. Once you get too far into the 'burbs, however....
Cleveland is decent- I would hardly say hip, but if you must live in Ohio, it's a good place.
 

katchow

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2002
457
0
Dayton, Ohio
tristan said:
I've only been to Ohio once (Dayton) and it seemed like the kind of place where if you could get hassled for having long hair and wearing John Lennon glasses. i kinda felt like everyone needed to get laid or stoned or both. Now, I could be totally off base, but some of my Ohio emigrant friends have corroborated this. Of course, they all now have blue hair and nine piercings and wear black Front 242 shirts.
umm, yeah. you're a little off. :rolleyes:
dayton's not huge, but it bugs me when people feel like they've got the gist of place based on their limited encounters.
 

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
1,208
4,026
PDX
veering OT for a moment,

I was talking to a couple from Ohio the other evening and the conversation turned to a particular version of Chili from the Cincinnati area (or larger).

It, AFAIK, resembled something more akin to spaghetti - as it is served over noodles, with grated cheese on top - with beans only being an optional ingredient.

I wish I could remember more, but I had put down a few...but I was intrigued. I believe a popular recipe is canned for export beyond the borders of the hinterland...

Any Ohioans care to chime in and clarify?