So GSM/HSPA Antenna fix on the way? or just for 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zephxiii, Jan 11, 2011.

1. zephxiii macrumors 6502

So the VZW iphone has an improved antenna, well it appears there is an improved antenna for GSM/HSPA as well. (Note the VZW model does not have a microSIM tray). The question is, when will we get it?

I think that we won't see it until iPhone5, but at least there is evidence of change!

http://www.nydailynews.com/tech_gui...os_and_video_fuels_rumors_about_apples_n.html

http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/2264/

EDIT: well looking at the video, these are pretty much iPhone 5 parts, and now we know what it will look like lol!

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You have zero proof of that.

Once the Verizon iPhone gets in the public's hands, then we'll know. Until then, I don't think anyone can comment on it.

3. zephxiii thread starter macrumors 6502

That is true, but you'd think they would have improved it some how after the huge publicity problem they had to deal with lol.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm not saying they did or didn't. I'm just saying that your question (will the at&t phone change?) really can't be addressed until we know what the Verizon iPhone does in the wild.

Not saying it's not a good question, just that it's too early.

5. Stratus Fear macrumors 6502

6. Gjeepguy macrumors regular

Basically i believe the verizon iPhone formfactor is the iPhone 5. The videos from last week had the sim tray for gsm and will be the light refresh of the iPhone 4 for AT&T (gsm). This will also result in all of the cases being the same for iPhone 5 and Veriphone 4.

I believe there will be a new phone next year as a gsm/hspa+/CDMA/LTE "world" phone.

7. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

The antenna is different, not necessarily improved. CDMA networks are different than GSM networks, and require differently tuned antennas. Attenuation will be the same, as it is with all cell phones.

8. zephxiii thread starter macrumors 6502

9. calvy macrumors 65816

Considering the fact that my freaking 3GS drops it's signal when I give it the death grip, no, I wouldn't expect it to be any different in ANY future iPhone, or any phone in general that isn't connected to an external antenna.

10. jacollins macrumors 6502a

I really doubt there will be an iPhone 5 this year. A new iPhone 4 with tweaks, yes. iPhone 5 will be next year.

11. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

Nothing will improve until Apple releases the next gen model for GSM. They never admit making any mistakes. Almighty Apple is perfect remember?

12. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Exactly, the antenna has just been redesigned to work on Verizon's network. That's all.

13. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Anyone else think the slicing and dicing of the existing antenna design is just going to make for a poorer antenna for everyone? You can't shorten antennas (to add another one in the loop) and keep the reception as good as before.

I think the overall quality of the iPhone will drop if they try to make one phone fit all.

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

First of all: NONE of the antennas on today's cell phones are fully optimized. Remember the early CDMA and GSM cell phones?

[​IMG]

The laws of physics haven't changed since these came out. But users' tastes have. No one wants to see an iPhone with an antenna they have to extend, even though that would probably be the best configuration for any cell phone.

That said, effective multimode antennas are made all of the time. It doesn't always involve "dicing up" the antenna, but they are still made differently from single mode versions.

Phone makers have and do make CDMA/GSM/HSPA antennas. It'll just probably look a little different from either the current versions of the iPhone 4.

15. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

OTOH an motorised extending/retracting antenna (triggered optionally by the user or by a user-settable signal-strength limit) might be fun in a Beosound 1 sort of way. :D

16. TapHappy macrumors regular

I'm sure Apple took the opportunity to take a look at it's existing antenna for the new CDMA radios. Some of the lessons learned might be useful for future models.