So guys, what's going to happen to us AT&T users?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UltimaLink, Jan 11, 2011.

1. UltimaLink macrumors regular

Now that Verizon has the iPhone, will Apple favor them more and not give AT&T updates to the iPhone? Or will we both get updates? Did they say anything about this?

2. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Look at what happens in other countries with two or three carriers. Apple doesn't favor one carrier over another.

3. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

The only feature AT&T customers will miss is the wireless hotspot function.

Its not so much because Apple is holding it off, rather it's a signature feature of Verizon wireless that AT&T doesn't support.

4. mhdena macrumors 6502

Are you 12 yrs old?:rolleyes:

5. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Historically it's the CARRIERS that cause the delays on implementing updates. Example. How many Android phones have old firmwares on them compared to the latest and greatest created by Google? It's not Google preventing them from being loaded... So if there's delays, I think you'd be better off looking at AT&T and Verizon than Apple.

6. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

7. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

It's already happened. Verizon gets a redesigned antenna. Apples not about to repeat antennagate. In addition Verizons not about to accept a poor performing phone.

Result: Apple makes Verizon look good, AT&T detractors gloat about how great Verizon is, and Apple laughs all the way to the bank.

8. rossihvac macrumors regular

rossihvac

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Nothing will change for at&t users.

10. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

+1 for Apple continuing business as usual.

To go further, I look for an identical physical design to be introduced come June/July.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

business as usual, apple will continue to make GSM based phones and AT&T will be one of their many partners to sell said phone.

12. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Agreed, with the additional of a SIM card slot.

13. darkflounder macrumors regular

darkflounder

I was under the impression that the antenna redesign was to make it work with CDMA, not to fix any problems with the GSM iP4 antenna.

And I don't think anything will change. The only time I've had to deal with AT&T on this phone was when dealing with billing and changing account features. Everything to do with the phone itself comes from Apple (iTunes, iOS updates, etc).

14. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

You're right. The Verizon iPhone will fall victim to attenuation, just like every other cell phone ever built in the world.

15. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Definitely the redesign is for CDMA. Anyway the antennagate problem is with the lower left corner, and AFAIK the CDMA version also has this gate.