So Han Solo wasn't bi and Nien Nunb wasn't in a monogamous gay relationship with Lando?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Feb 28, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://io9.gizmodo.com/j-j-abrams-star-wars-will-include-gay-characters-get-1761676805

Why do audiences want to care about the characters' personal, private, bedroom lives? True, heteros flaunt it all the time with photos of themselves with their sex partners and/or offspring (the latter proving they shagged, so thanks for the visuals), baby showers, weddings, tabloid news articles of whom they are dating, and everything else and don't realize it so maybe that's why they want the dish. Or audiences think they'll get to bang the character in question (even if the actor's orientation is not the same because, yo, they're actors...)

Apart from Han and Leia kissing (or Leia and Luke for that matter when the writers knew they were siblings, oops), flaunting sexuality wasn't the point of the Star Wars saga. Originally, it was unrequited love and Han pretty much admitted as such when frozen in carbonite (intended as a living death sentence and means for Harrison Ford to flee the franchise because he hated doing the thing, until he was encouraged to changed his mind...)

Or maybe Lucas would have followed up with the accidental incest in his original Episode IX that was part of the original 12 part epic purportedly written in the 1970s?? (Or, more likely, he made it up as he went along. At least, before Abrams had, Lucas carbon copied the death star trope between movies and it was creatively bankrupt in 1983 as well... never mind the Ewoks were based on the cuddly and lovable Viet Cong, look it up...)

But it was Lucas who also decided to make the original trilogy hinge less on action fare with plot intertwined, but more on a drippy hetero-centric love story with long and independent political speeches shoved in people's faces, all with honed dialogue and stellar actors that would make the three movies easier to watch-- oh, wait... at least Lucas got his politicizing of hetero visibility on screen first. The JJ haters for wanting to force gay and bi characters into peoples' faces is no more or less repulsive than what Lucas did in that aspect.

Can't they find something else to gain audience interest than their bedroom lives? Okay, a couple holds his and her hands in the background and in another scene another couple holds his and his. There, that's all they really need to do. And it's called "subtlety" -- What's the excuse of modern day showrunners who would probably gain more fans by making any iconoclastic statements with subtlety, which is actually infinitely more powerful than just shoving the issue? Or letting audiences look at characters and decide for themselves if a character is more than what's shown on screen?

2. Snoopy4, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016

Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

The media needs controversy. Ask the writer what his/her problem is. The rest of us don't give a flying flip. The article is horse crap anyway. It said Abrams movie was the first one with a black lead character. I suppose he skipped right over Lando and Darth Vader himself. What a freakin moron.

3. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Apart from Han and Leia kissing (or Leia and Luke for that matter when the writers knew they were siblings, oops), flaunting sexuality wasn't the point of the Star Wars saga.

There is no oops as the characters had no idea they were siblings. With Gay acceptance, it's inevitable that they will appear in most modern stories or they can stay in the closet and allow people to speculate, such as Dr. Smith from the original 1960s Lost in Space. :)

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree, when I read some article on Lucas to add some LGBT roles or add some sort of acknowledgement, I asked why. It is not that I have issue with it, only that I don't see the need here. I ask what value will it add to the story. I know I have to tread lightly because people can see my words as being unsupportive to the LGBT community in movies, but that is not it either. It is very specific to Star Wars and very specific to me not really following the value added there.

5. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I always assumed Star Wars with all the aliens anyway was a rather segregated society anyway. The separation wasn't racial, but species. Who's to say a black person on the Star Wars universe wasn't a different species? I mean seriously, if Leia had gotten it on with Greedo, Kylo would have been one eff'd up looking dude. I simply don't see what purpose it would serve in the film anyway other than to make some political statement, and that's just stupid. The money left on the table as a result of it makes it even dumber.

6. Technarchy, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Lando blew up and 2nd Death Star, flew the Millennium Falcon, and was first in to save Han...
    Mace Windu saved Obi-Wan, Anakin, Killed Jango, fought Palpatine...

JJ Abrams is not very smart, which is why he basically stole everything about his Star Wars from Lucas. His Star Trek movies are complete **** as well.

Lastly Star Wars is enduring because the story resonates with the widest audience possible and is ultimately about the Skywalker family at its core. The gay angle could work I think if it was like Messala and Judah Ben-Hur in the 1959 movie. I think that would actually be kind of interesting rather than Star Wars: Return to Brokeback Mountain.

7. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I think the irony of JJs comments is that I am unaware of any of his big films having an actual gay or lead minority character other than The Force Awakens, but he's had gay characters play straight roles. Personally, I think he's just trolling people. He responded poorly to the comments during production about a lead black character, who really isn't a lead character by the way. All he had to say in response to the criticism from a nobody was something like this:

There has never been a lead black character in Star Wars.

Signed,

James Earl Jones

The end.

8. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Meh, I don't buy that Lucas had everything planned out from the beginning.

9. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

In almost any story it's not unusual to see a hetro couple show physical affection, it's accepted, even encouraged, a hump scene is practically demanded! ;) How about somewhat of a two way street? I admit, I can tolerate, possibly enjoy two women ;), but two men in bed do nothing for me, and I admit preferring not having to watch such a scene, but I do see them on occasion in modern stories and can accept them as a reality of today.

But in something like Star Wars, they don't do sex scenes so, IMO it's enough to acknowledge that such a relationship exists.

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Can't wait to see two men play "Hide the Nerf herder" in episode 8...

11. FieldingMellish Suspended

Gay lobby pressuring for roles in movies, notably humor and he-man flicks. Same thing that Jessi Jackson does with large business for the black lobby, (but for personal gain). Both utilize subtle extortion.

12. lowendlinux, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

My only take away from the last Star Wars movie was that new Jedi lady was going to kick some a$$ in the next movie and there's nothing like getting your a$$ wupped by a 120 pound female.

I'm as deep as a puddle

13. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Yup. JJ gave the right response, but could have easily been a smart ass about it.

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

Is there any credence to sentiments written that Jar Jar Binks was a racist sterotype?

"He's written like a character out of an Uncle Remus story, and does everything but call Qui-Gon (the Liam Neeson character) 'Massah.' "

Some other Internet postings compare Jar Jar to the radio and TV characters "Amos 'n' Andy." One writer says of the movie: "It could be 'Sambo Wars.' "

Lynne Hale, a spokeswoman for Lucasfilm, called such interpretations "absurd."

LA Times, 1999.

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/may/26/entertainment/ca-40965