So has AT&T actually took anyone off their unlimited plan for tethering?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by andrewwg94, May 4, 2011.

1. andrewwg94 macrumors member

I don't usually start new threads without searching around, but i couldn't find anyone that actually had their plan changed for tethering. they started sending those e-mails in march and it's now may. a few weeks ago i accidentally turned on mywi, but did not connect any devices. 30 minutes later and i got a text from at&t. it simply said "did you know tethering your smartphone requires a tethering plan?" anyways, i updated to 4.3.2 and did not install mywi or tetherme this time. my second question is whether or not it's true that you can't be caught using tetherme because it uses the 'phone' apn so that you remain undetected. i just want some tethering. i don't want to lose my unlimited plan.

2. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

It doesn't matter if you use tetherme or mywi. It really depends what ATT is looking at for tethering. The IP will always be different if you use your phone to go online or tether to you computer.

3. andrewwg94 thread starter macrumors member

you sure? last time i remember seeing the same ips on both phone and mac. and even if they can tell when we tether, are they actually doing anything about it besides sending warning e-mails?

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

what they look at is the data packets. If it has one more hop that it should then they got you.

Computer to phone is an extra hop. AT&T knows exactly how many hops it should take to get form the tower to some location.

5. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I think you should pay for tethering now since ATT and catching people. You do not want to get charged per mb IF ATT decided to do it. Pay a small amount now and save your wallet the big bill in the future.

6. TC25 macrumors 68020

Your post makes zero sense.

ATT threatens to move you to the 4 gig tethering plan if you continue 'unofficial' tethering. They don't threaten to charge you per mb.

7. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I've read about a dozen of these threads and have yet to encounter someone who's had their plan changed, however...that doesn't mean it won't happen as it's only been a little over a month. I also have yet to encounter someone with a foolproof method for circumventing AT&T's methods of detection...also doesn't mean that won't happen either.

Right now you need to determine what's most important to you, unlimited data or the ability to tether. Personally, I think it's a no brainer--stop tethering and keep your unlimited plan. You can always add tethering later but once you add it, your unlimited plan is gone for good. I'd also bet the hacker community will come up with a way to get around the carrier's methods of detection.

8. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

No way I can give up super grandfathered unlimited. I don't use more than 2-3g but I have both domestic and international unlimited data which is literally worth thousands of $$ to me. You know what they charge for a Mbyte of international data? :eek::eek::eek: