So here's a question: What's the chances of Apple going bigger with the iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by neoelectronaut, Jun 27, 2013.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Out of curiosity, what do you guys think is the chance that Apple goes bigger for the iPhone 6?

I absolutely love the size of my iPhone 4. Small, sleek, slips into my pocket nicely in a compact package. Not too small, but not too big.

Now the general marketplace for "smartphones" seems to be leaning bigger and bigger. The Galaxy series of phones is definitely too big for my tastes, and don't even get me started on the Note line from Samsung.

And yet alot of the complaints and overall requests from iPhone users is that they want the iPhone to be as big as the competition...that's great and all, but I don't want it any bigger, it's perfect as it is.

Now I'm still on the iPhone 4. There's nothing I've seen in the iPhone 4S or 5 that made them must-have devices, so I never felt the need to upgrade. I'll probably stick with my iPhone 4 until it physically starts breaking down or software starts popping up as being incompatible with the hardware.

However, if Apple is going to go bigger with the iPhone 6, I'll break down and pick up a iPhone 5 (or 5S) so I'm not stuck with only having the choice of a massive phone or nothing at all.

And some of you will pipe in that the iPhone 5 will be available when the 6 drops because of how Apple drops all their phones down a price level when the new ones come out...

And you're right, but I'd prefer a 32 or 64GB model, and generally the older models are only available in the "starter" capacities.

So what do you guys think is the over/under on Apple going bigger with the "next" iPhone?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I think for the iPhone 6 (the one after 5S) they might make it slightly wider just like the 3G/3GS but eliminate much of the wasted space above and below the screen. It'd just be the same overall size but more screen.

They've reduced the Jay Leno chin on the iMac. No reason why they can't do the same on the iPhone and it's bound to happen anyway.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

But they already got the 16:9 aspect. Making the viewable screen longer while keeping the width the same and they screw up the aspect.

OP, nobody know man.

4. JayLenochiniMac, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Notice I said make it slightly wider to accommodate the bigger screen. The 3G/3GS is a bit wider than the 5 and it'd look better that way as the 5 is a bit on the skinny side.

5. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

6. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

I'd be inclined to think, no, but there are too many considerations and variables in this business, to say this with any degree of authority.

There's component availability, market maturity, aspect ratio, pixel density, app developer adoption, in the case of the last two considerations, screen technology, battery technology and not the least of all, a long term vision for the product category itself.

I'd say, for the iPhone6, probably not, but I may have to eat my words.....

7. oaktree macrumors regular

I agree with you, OP. The iph4 is the perfect size. The 5 seems too skinny. But with all of this talk about people wanting bigger phones, and Apple's sales numbers dropping, I'm concerned they will give in and make a big phone.

I don't understand the appeal of a big phone. Maybe if I understood it, I too would want want a big phone. ;)

I am almost certain I will buy a 5S when it is released in the fall, for the same reason you are considering it. I know I would have to replace my 4 at some point during the 6 cycle, and I don't want to be stuck with a big iPhone.

8. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

I think some of it has to do with the old impressing the next guy reason. For most of the people I've talked to, there's no practical reason why a pocket/purse kept iDevice would have to be the size of a small tablet. Granted, that is a very small sample, lol

For me personally, 4.5 or 5" max would be the limit where practicality as a pocket device, rapidly starts diminishing, and only if that was with an edge-to-edge screen.

9. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

We'll see in sept/oct if apple decided to launch the low cost iphone and drop the numbering in iphone name.

If there is a low cost iphone, apple can make the bigger screen phone as the flagship model in 2014 (iphone 6).

10. oaktree macrumors regular

I thought perhaps it was because they use their phone differently than I do. If you want to watch videos/movies a larger screen would be better, but I never do that. IF you surf the net a lot, a larger screen would be nice. There are times when I wish I wasn't looking through a tunnel when I'm on the net, but that isn't the main function of my phone, so I put up with it.

I can remember when our dumb phones got smaller and smaller, and if we waited too long to upgrade, we looked like an old fuddy duddy. No way do I want to go back to a bigger phone.

I've never read any concrete reasons for a larger phone on this forum. I do read "It has to be x.x" or I'm not buyin!" I really wish those who want a larger screen would give specific reasons why they want it. Otherwise, I think the line I quoted is right on!:D

11. nabwong macrumors regular

I've never owned an android phone. Used iPhone, ip4 and now ip5. For my hands, which are bigger than average, the Samsung s4 is the perfect size.

Why?

The width. I find the ip5 uncomfortable to hold portrait. Too narrow.

Typing in landscape mode is hopeless too. The keyboard takes up most of the screen.

I still like the ip5. Just minor wants.

12. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I think if Apple were going to go bigger, they would have done it in one step, not make the iPhone 5 a bit bigger, then another change a year later.

But if they do make a bigger phone, it will be a second model alongside the current size screen.

13. oaktree macrumors regular

Those are very good points. I better check that out before I buy. Thanks.

14. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

They'll probably put a bigger screened phone as an option.

15. nabwong macrumors regular

Thanks. I would jump on an iPhone that is the same size as the s4. I do believe that apple might just offer 2 different iPhones. I mean, they already did it with the ipad and mini. I think the problem is how to market it. They can't just go "hey, the 2 sizes are exactly the same phone so go ahead and choose." I think they'll lose a lot of hype. They need to make it different enough so that they can still generate hype on both phones, not make them competitors.

16. MrGuder macrumors 68020

I agree ^^

This time next year I see them releasing a larger screen iPhone and they will keep the current 4" iPhone. It makes sense.

I can see them on stage now...we listened to our customers...we know a lot of our customers are heavy media users and gamers...this larger iPhone is perfect...however we also know a lot of our customers are happy with the current size...we offer our customer a choice...just like some prefer the iPad mini and some prefer our full size. We feel this is a win win for our customer and are now pleased to make this available.

17. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

Who are you pretending to be? Tim Cook?