So Hotmail finally supports POP3 and works with iPhone but i have a question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mimoawi, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Mimoawi macrumors member

So Hotmail finally supports POP3, and works fine on my iPhone the only problem is that i can get only the Inbox folder, is this normal?
    Thx

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

It's the same with any other mail provider you use, AFAIK. My Yahoo! account only displays the inbox.

3. Mimoawi thread starter macrumors member

with Gmail i get all folders:(

4. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

With Gmail, you are probably using IMAP instead of POP3.

That is the difference.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

what are the servers for hotmail POP3?

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

That sucks you only get the inbox folder. What if an important message is deposited into your junk folder? Not good. If that is the only folder you can access, go with mBox Mail, which is pricey, but worth it because it give you the full e-mail experience.

7. grant6923 macrumors newbie

+1 i haven't seen this besides the "premium service"

8. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

It's currently only available to paying customers.

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

So, it makes no sense to put down money for a subscription-based service when you can pay a one-time fee of $9.99 for mBox Mail.

10. Mimoawi thread starter macrumors member

Incoming mail server is pop3.live.com Outgoing mail server is smtp.live.com . i just have a free hotmail account. i didnt have even to fill servers in,

11. grant6923 macrumors newbie

I've tried these before, and it comes up and says i need the Premium Service

12. arubinst macrumors 6502

I just tried with my Mac and although the connection went though with the pop3 server, my username was not accepted. I tried both with and without the "@hotmail.com".

I know there are plans to offer free pop3 service for all accounts, but it doesn't seem to be the case for mine. At least not yet...

13. Cask Guest

It doesn't work for my account yet either, guess we'll have to wait.

14. Mimoawi thread starter macrumors member

i got the same message i just press next and it works ok.

15. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

If you're going to pay yearly, at least pick a decent provider like Lavabit. I use them, and for $8/year they can't be beat. Then again, my requirements differ considerably from those of the average Hotmail user...

Really, I'd just recommend that people get their own domain and stop using Hotmail/GMail/etc... but that's a spiel for another time. :D

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I switched TO g-mail from a personal domain address because outgoing gmail works on 3G and wifi on my iPhone.

When I used my own domain I had to set up the outgoing service on my iPhone for one or the other. I set it up for 3G, which meant that I had to turn off wi-fi whenever I wanted to send an e-mail at home.

It was a huge pain in the rear. Gmail "just works" everywhere so I'm finding it to be well worth it.

17. jonjamesm macrumors regular

jonjamesm

Ugh! - how much do I have the rage!?

I just bought mbox mail and now hotmail has pop3 without a premium account

also It considers any unopened via iphone email as unopened. You have 100 new mails!

mbox mail gives you all the folders in your account and works like a dream... I'll come back when hotmail is fully supported by the original mail app.

18. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

So, you got it to work? Seems likes the people above have had trouble. And what do you mean by "it considers any unopened via iphone email as unopened. You have 100 new mails!"

19. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I can confirm this. I got the payed subscription message, but just pressed next and it worked!

20. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Actually, im not so sure...it doesnt seem to receive new mail...

21. grant6923 macrumors newbie

Is this on your iPhone or Mac Mail?... I tried on iPhone and it says that the username and password are incorrect for this.

22. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

If your mail server was correctly configured you wouldn't have had any problems. Both my iPhone and my Mac use the same outbound server (same account too, actually), and I have no such issues whatsoever.

You don't have to run your own server. You can get a domain, use a company like NearlyFreeSpeech.net to forward your e-mail, and use a commercial mail provider that allows you to set the "From" header to your personal address. I do exactly that, and it's worked great for 4+ years. Since I use forwarding, I can switch "back-end" providers at will. If someone cheaper or better comes along, I'm not tied down, and can switch over to a new account in less than 60 seconds. Plus, I don't have to worry about Google archiving all my e-mail and sharing it with various third parties. (The service I use, Lavabit, was created specifically as a response to Google's poor privacy practices.)

23. AlmostJosh macrumors 6502

AlmostJosh

24. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Me?

25. AlmostJosh macrumors 6502

AlmostJosh

whoever knows how to set up hotmail on an iphone