So, how badly is the GOP doing "Damage Control" on Eastwood talking to the chair?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by GKDAIR, Aug 31, 2012.

1. GKDAIR macrumors regular

CNN was speechless and Rachel Maddow was simply stunned about it. Was wondering what the GOP thought about the whole thing.

I mean seriously, the guy was having a conversation with a chair....

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Repeating myself from a related thread, Eastwood locked up the senile vote.

Seriously, I really doubt the judgement of the Romney campaign in allowing this. Had it not been for the threat of a hurricane, we would have been treated to even more lunacy, including Donald Trump.

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Damage control? He is an actor not a politician.

Rachel Madcow and Chris Matthews criticized every speaker of the RNC convention so nothing new coming from that channel. I pretty much equate that channel with comedy central and the two goofballs on there.

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

If you appear on stage at a political convention, the party that put you there takes the fallout - good or bad - from your appearance. Doesn't matter if you're an actor, politician, plumber, musician or chimney sweep.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't watch MSNBC or any other such crap cable news. But there was a ton to criticize at the convention, especially Paul Ryan's speech, which was nothing short of one big lie.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

How much damage was done?

Probably not that much. The Republican Party was already "damaged" based on it's candidates and the platform they're running on.

A doddering old man in a bad skit can't do much worse for them than that.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I watch Chris Matthews on MSNBC. He's the only one I'll watch unless I want droll info from CNN.

And Jon Stewart has more truth on his comedy show in one night than Faux Nues has in a month.

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

So extremely disrespectful. Disagree with her all you want but that's so pathetically immature. We expect better out of members on this forum. :mad:

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

If Clint Eastwood had made the same speech on Leno, you would absolutely have a point, but anyone who stands on stage at a national convention for a political party is effectively a politician and is speaking for the party.

10. 184550 Guest

I'm not going to pretend to know exactly he was intending but given the location of the 'D' and 'C' keys, perhaps one ought to pretend to respectfully await a response before becoming indigent.

However, I've seen just as bad from other liberal members when talking about the commentators on the Right. I'd get off my high horse if I were one before one breaks their neck. ;)

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yet seeing how incensed the next comment he had about the 'two goofballs', you have to take into account that it was intentional.

High Horse lowered.

BL.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'll pretend that he made a typo and didn't post more of his usual. :rolleyes:

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Juvenile humor doesn't deserve this overreaction.

14. 184550 Guest

That's fine. Trying to be voice the reason, no matter how remote the odds, is an unpopular position 'round here anyways.

15. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Ok Freudian slip. I don't know why but I subliminally think her last name is Madcow. I apologize to Miss Maddow for the mishap.

----------

It was not 100% intentional to get her name wrong as explained in my post above. Equating MSNBC hosts to the two goofballs on comedy central was intentional.

16. vega07 macrumors 65816

The chair was eerie to say the least...

But what was more embarrassing was his incoherency. You just don't put an incoherent, 82 year old man up there to represent an entire party.

And humor is definitely in the eye of the beholder. The audience laughed quite a bit while I just sat staring wide-eyed.

17. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

That makes him the smartest guy in the room.

Followed closely by the chair.

:D

18. 184550 Guest

19. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

Clint talking to a empty chair is the early sign of dementia or alzheimer's :D

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Early?

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

:p I'm sorry, I picked on you in another thread for a similar typo. Spellcheck isn't being very good to you today. ;)

22. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure the empty chair was a metaphor for Obama being an empty suit. At least that was the impression I got.

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Congratulations. You are the only person who understood what he was trying to convey.

Then again, reality doesn't seem to be an important part of this platform.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've long thought, from your posts, that you and Clint were on the same page. :D

25. vega07 macrumors 65816

Such astute analysis.