So how come we can't turn off 3G on iPhone 4s/5

tymaster50

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
New Jersey
I would really just like to do 2G browsing, saves battery but it seems that they neglected to include this option, I know its possible since sometimes it drops down to GRPS "o"
So what is the reasoning?

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
3g has become the new Edge, you just have to stick with it.
It's funny how true this really is. Only my iPhone 4 for example (4S had HSPA+) when I was on 3G I felt my data was fast.. if I went to a bad area and it dropped to EDGE I felt it was slow. I get the same feeling now when I drop from LTE down to 3G. I'm on Verizon now though so thats CDMA 3G.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
I would really just like to do 2G browsing, saves battery but it seems that they neglected to include this option, I know its possible since sometimes it drops down to GRPS "o"
You can, but it depends on your carrier. I can with an iPhone 5, iOS6 and O2 network in the UK

maka344

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Can't on EE in the UK, it's bad when you are at a football game and everyone is on 3G, I could simply drop down to 2G and make calls

KPOM

macrumors Pentium
Oct 23, 2010
I think part of it is that the carriers want to discourage the use of the 2G networks as they want to start shutting them down and redeploying that spectrum for LTE (or improved 3G coverage).