So.. How did iPhone 1 buyers buy the iPhone 3G? (Reassurance)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Soreo, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Soreo macrumors regular

Soreo

Alright. I've owned an iPhone 3G and I've loved every day I've had with it.

However, I'm planning to buy the next one.. partially because I'm an early adopter, and mostly because I think it's the most amazing phone ever.

But I'm not sure of the process. Did everyone who waited in line for the 3G (that had an iPhone already) not have their contracts changed? Or was an extra year added? When I wait in line, will I get the next iPhone for subsidy pricing or will I have to possibly pay $600?

2. synagence macrumors 6502a

1st gen iPhone owners paid full-price for the phone don't forget ... so all mobile networks gave them a do-over on the iPhone 3G for the same deal as new customers...

iPhone 3G owners are only 1 year into an 18/24 month contract and therefore networks are under no obligation to offer a deal....they had to subsidise the handset price and therefore are still making that money back through your contract

I'm guessing they might do something but there is no guarantee they will or no legal need for them to do so ... u still have a contract to honour.

I'm personally hoping they give us a reduced price (maybe not as cheap as new customers) to allow us an early upgrade

3. dave006 macrumors 68020

Well nobody knows for sure ;) but the basic AT&T rules should apply in the US. You will need to sign up for a new two year service commitment, they don't extend or add years. It is always a new two year commitment based on you date of purchase of the new iPhone.

If you are "Upgrade Eligible" based on your current contract then you will receive the discout (subsidy) pricing on the next iPhone model. So in most cases this means that you would need to be 16-24 months into your current service agreement to get the subsidy price. So most if not all iPhone 3G purchases will not qualify for a discount (subsidy) on the "New" iPhone 3.0 until Christmas 2009 or later based on the iPhone 3G launch date of July 11, 2008. :eek:

The original iPhone was not sold with a discount (subsidy) from AT&T. So anyone that purchased the original iPhone and in allmost all cases still had it as of July 11, 2008 were qualified for the discounted (subsidy) pricing on the iPhone 3G. There were some cases where individuals had already sold their original iPhone and had purchased another AT&T discounted (subsidy) phone and they were stuck and had to pay the "Early Upgrade" rate just like other individuals that were not "Upgrade Eligible".

Dave

4. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

Here is the info for the current 3G model early upgrade cost:

If you are not currently eligible, you may have the option to purchase an early upgrade priced at $399 for 8GB (black) or $499 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required.

5. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

It's interesting because AT&T says I "may be eligible for an upgrade" on 7/12/2009...and I bought my 3G on 7/11/2009.

Attached Files:

6. dave006 macrumors 68020

It sounds like you are a good customer of AT&T. Some qualified customers are eligible for equipment upgrades every 12 months.

It is based on several factors: MRC, LTV, and some company associations. So I would guess that you are spending $99 or more per month on your primary line of service on your AT&T Account. :D

Note: The Monthly Recurring Cost (MRC) is based on a three month average of your rate plan plus selected data features.

Dave

7. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

got the original iphone for like $400-something if i remember correctly.

sold it for $140, paid $199 for 3G

Hoping to do the same for new phone. Is the data plan going to be increased again or stay at $30?

8. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

So few people seem to consider the most likely scenario. This Apples product people, not AT&Ts.

The new iPhone this summer, which will run 3.0 along with a number of harware-related enhancements, will be offered to all iPhone users, at a "special" upgrade price, that starts a 2 year contract. Alternatively, anyone will be be able to buy one at full retail w/ no contract.

The only purpose of yet ANOTHER new iPhone, THREE years in a row, is to sell it to current customers. New customers are even being targeted anymore. They will come on their own when their contracts are up elsewhere.

Now it's all about getting 13.7 million to REBUY. Trust me, there will be an irresistable price for all iPhone 3G owners.

9. iPhAddict macrumors newbie

iPhAddict

Lucky! you're not having the same problem as they are. :D

10. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

More and more, it seems to me that iPhone3G owners are upgrade-eligible a year after the contract began. I was told that buy an AT&T employee when I was in one of their stores the other day.

I checked online and my account states that I am eligible for additional discounts on 7/30/09. My fiance's phone, the other phone on our contract, is up for discounts within the normal span though. It appears the iPhone gets some extra love.

And we aren't long time AT&T customers or anything like that.

11. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

If they make a deal for iPhone 3G customers: I'm glad they are being kind to the iPhone folk. AT&T would be nice to anyhow, seeing has we MUST pay a fully unlimited data plan and our dedication to buying has really helped AT&T throughout this economic slump. Making this deal will also sell a much higher number of iPhone's on sales day one, create the what's now, normal hype and sign new 2 year contracts with hopefully one million + customers the first weekend. They can't go wrong in doing this.

I just hope they make a deal at all! :D

EDIT: According to the AT&T wireless log in site, my account is making me wait a normal amount of time before I may upgrade at a discount.
    I bought my 3G from a 2G iPhone last summer, hmm.

12. mproudfoot macrumors member

mproudfoot

Well my 2G 18-month contract is due up in summer (o2 UK) and i'm keeping eyes and ears open for signs of any replacement and in fact won't be doing a thing with my contract until then.

My main concern is that, when the 3g came out, I was offered an upgrade/renew contract but, on the morning of release, when trying to do the online upgrade, the o2 site was constantly crashing and timing out then when it was bacl up they had none left. Fair enough, I didn't need an upgrade so I gave up and stuck with my 2G.

I am hoping this time they give priority to new customers and those at the end of their current contracts rather than those that just want to upgrade their 3g handsets for the hell of it. Not sure if they did that last time but it seems the fairer approach.

13. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Really?
    Care to show us how your special machine in your garage operates?

14. windowman macrumors newbie

They have those, the TV shows tell us they do :eek:
    I have been looking for one for myself thou since I seen it on TV what 30 years ago,
    just no luck so far. :)

15. tucker101uk macrumors member

Some of us didn't change - and are still rolling with the original iPhone... :D

Suits me fine, and the ally back is becoming a bit retro! lol

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Will some mod sticky this since the same exact question gets asked 15 times a day?

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Don't need 3G, got EDGE mothaf#@%a
    Wait for my downloads while I'm eatin' my suppa!
    ORIGINAL IPHONE IN DA HOUSE! :)

18. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

o_O

You do know that right in the text it says "excluding iPhone" right?

19. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

That's for the option of paying "full retail pricing" *now*. The other option is the upgrade - which will be on 7/12/2009.

I rigged my Time Capsule up to the car and, well... ;)

20. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Hrm. I'm upgrade eligible right now. Signed up for AT&T on 10/15/08, and now since my iPhone 3G was stolen I'm taking advantage of that upgrade eligibility and getting a 3G for $400. So, I have the option to upgrade only 5 months into the plan.

21. MrGadget28 macrumors regular

If a new iPhone comes out, I'm you will have to pay FULL retail price for it because the 3G was already subsidized. I heard the new one will have video recording and higher res camera but then again...those are just rumors.

22. mikey28 macrumors 6502

I hope they would have a deal for people who own iPhone already.... But if not, let's face it: I'm gonna get the new version anyway...

23. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

i kinda get the feeling that youre right. It might not be the as large of a discount but it wont be $600-700 to upgrade

24. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

...And it was AT&T who paid your subsidy, not Apple. Their money, their service, their rules. They have an established policy on upgrades for subsidized plans; I don't think they will be anything special for iPhone users.

You really think new customers aren't being targeted anymore?! I'd argue the opposite. The iPhone makes up 10.7% of the smartphone market, which itself represents only 12% of cell phone sales in 2008. That accounts for just over 1% of the overall market. The prime focus of the iPhone OS 3.0 and a future hardware revision is to capture more customers who haven't switched to the iPhone for lack of certain features.