So how do we feel about polygamy?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Oct 31, 2010.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I was just watching a show on TLC called Sister Wives. It's about a polygamist mormon family. The man has three wives. Now, i think i've made my views on gay marriage clear on these forums. I have a very easy time accepting that, but for some reason polygamy just doesn't sit right with me. I just feel like there is something unethical about it. First of all, for tax purposes and all those other benefits that come with marriage, polygamy just complicates it. God forbid there is a divorce. I'm not concerned about the kids really because i don't think that it screws up the kids to have however many moms they have, so that's not an issue. But i just can't help but feel that there is something seriously wrong with that lifestyle. It's not like it works both ways, a woman can't take more than one husband. Is this lifestyle just the result of some men's desire to sleep with multiple women without cheating? What do you guys think?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

In regards to tax issues, the guy on the show is only legally married to the first wife.
    My normal philosophy is live an let live, but I don't think that polygamy is the best thing in the world for the women involved, so I don't support it.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

One man can "service" many women, but it this the ideal??

Not by my account.

But, if a religious colony, bent on the propagation their "faith", is at the helm, well I think you can deduce your own conclusion.

4. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

On the one hand I don't care what people do in their private lives.

On the other hand society's which practice polygamy are often highly manipulative and abusive of the women in said society (see the Mormons).

I would argue that you need to examine each case individually.

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Hey, bigamy is dumb enough; no man can serve two masters, it says in the Good Book. :D

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I prefer to be an embarrassment and disappointment to only 1 woman at a time.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

OMG, can you just imagine the Honey-Do lists x the # of wives???? :eek:

I think this outweighs the benefit of sex with multiple partners, except outside of marriage. ;)

8. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I see no problem with polygamy if it is practiced equally from the perspective of genders. I think women can have more than one husband too if that's what they wish. I am against laws that dictate morality based on sexual preference between consenting adults.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Ideally, mentally sound, consenting adults should have the right to whatever partnership they all can agree to.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, I'm sure that the majority of the members of a harems of old would support your position, if they were not one of the favourites.

11. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I am reminded of a book by Heinlien on the matter "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" where the Lunists (Luna's Moon people whatever I don't know the proper term or if there is one LOL) practiced a form of communal polygamy which was a fascinating concept.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Do you think that members of harems entered into them freely, of their own will?

Do you think that if they exited that relationship that they'd be granted their fair share of the sheik's wealth?

Nice analogy iJohn... NOT!

13. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

That would be because...?

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Now, now, don't treat me harshly. :(

Back in that day, a girl of beauty, from the slums, would probably welcome the life of a "concubine". :)

15. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

I feel a thousand percent dumber now that I read this post. The whole idea is retarded and is against the law for a reason. It does nothing more than serve the tweaked ego of the male involved .

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Why should you get special treatment? :p

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Even among polygamist lesbians? :confused:

18. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Because find me one single polygamist culture that allows for that. Which goes back to my original point that polygamy may just be a legitimatized way for men to be able to sleep with multiple women (and usually ugly ones, anyone ever see Sister Wives?)

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Do you have pictures?? I would like that. :D

20. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

LOL great point

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Lesbians have no point. Isn't that the point??

22. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Ever been to a swingers club? It is nearly the polar opposite concerning polygamous culture sexually compared to the religious model--the women generally make and enforce the rules.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Polyandry

Polyandry is a practice where a woman has more than one husband at the same time. Fraternal polyandry was traditionally practised among nomadic Tibetans in Nepal, parts of China and part of northern India, in which two or more brothers are married to the same wife, with her having equal sexual access to them. Polyandry is believed to be more likely in societies with scarce environmental resources, as it is believed to limit human population growth and enhance child survival. It is a rare form of marriage that exists not only among poor families, but also the elite.

24. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah but i'm not talking about just having sex with other people for fun. I'm talking about polygamous households where children have multiple moms and one dad.

Fair enough. I feel the same about it either way. But still for the most part its men having multiple wives, especially in the US.

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well, there was No Name City (see Paint Your Wagon). In fact, there is even a word for it: "polyandry".