So how does that new keyboard feel?

Pili

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2005
Orlando/Miami, FL
I stopped in the apple store today try it out and although i think its gorgeous, im still on the ropes about the feel. Besides the flat keys which dont give you a good idea exactly of where your fingers are, the angle and wrist positioning feel somewhat awkward coming from a logitech keyboard (the mouse/keyboard set for mac).

It may just be a matter of getting used to it but i would definitely say that its different and you may want to try it out first if your thinking about getting it.

dingmah

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2006
AB
The spacing on the keys slowed me down when I was trying it out this morning. Had to actually look down at my fingers to see what key I was hitting at times.

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
I prefer my Macbook Pro keyboard to my desktop keyboard. Would I be a fan of this more laptop-style keyboard?

jardeon

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007
Has anyone tried using the keyboard with a gel-style wrist rest? Does it sit too low on the desk to comfortably use a wrist rest with it?

I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat, I love the keyboard on my MacBook and I live in constant fear of wearing it out, but I'd have to be sure that the fact the keyboard sits nearly flush with the desk wouldn't cause me any undue ergonomic strain.

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Canada
It's just like the Macbook (not pro) keyboard isn't it? If you like typing on the macbook, you'd probably like the new keyboard.

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
I tend to over-reach on my keyboarding anyways, so my experience with the new keyboard was actually very good. I liked how it felt and how compact, yet still large it was. I am still a Mac noob so I couldn't figure out how to get the new keys on top of the function keys to work. :eek:

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
if you've typed on a macbook, then you'll know what it's like to type on this thing. i love the short travel of the keys; typing feels much more responsive on this than it does on a normal keyboard or even the macbook pro's (my opinion).

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2003
I've had my new keyboard for a couple of hours now, and now I'm used to it, I really love the feel of it. The key action is great and the reduced key travel actually allows me to type faster!

The only thing I'm still not used to is the fact the keys are spaced out a little bit - you can't feel the key next to it, which means you have to trust where your fingers are a bit more. Great for learning to touch-type properly! :p

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
I wasn't sure at first but I tried it in the local apple store and I really liked it.

No problems really - it is just a matter of trusting yourself to press the right key - which I am quite good at.

May be a problem for people who aren't so confident though.

iNeko

macrumors regular
May 13, 2007
England
I like it - I got mine a few hours ago and it's perfect. I like the 'lowness' of it and the media keys are a brilliant idea. It's nice and quiet, plus it feels very solid. I adore the look of it and the size too, it looks nice sitting there on my desk :)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
It's almost clear from the pictures but... does this have a dirt, filth, cereal, miscellaneous hair, and decayed skin tray underneath the keys? Or does this new style mean that stuff won't be sitting in your keyboard for the lifespan of it?

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
i concur with the how it feels comments above.

there is no place for dirt to hang out, other than at the very very narrow space where the keys travel in and out of the base, but it is not like the last gen keyboards where there is a huge dirt reservoir under the keys. its basically a flat almost seamless plane of aluminum. in person it is extremely impressive. the pics do not do it justice. it feels like The Future™

jakk2809

macrumors member
May 24, 2007
I personally like the MacBook Pro keys. Flat keys are hard to type for me. I like a slight dip in each key so my finger feels more secure.

jstennis1591

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
for the people that have it.....did you buy it alone in the store? or did you buy the new iMac and get it with that?

my store (and the 5th avenue flagship) both dont have them

illweather

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2006
I ordered one through Apple, and won't receive it till next week (I'm hoping...). I was frustrated that none of the local "brick and mortar" stores had received any, and just went ahead and clicked "buy." I have no idea how it feels, but needed a new keyboard, and liked the look of this one. I'll post to let you know what I think; hopefully I didn't screw myself by not using it before buying...

In the meantime, more individual experiences please. :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I love it and can't wait for a local Apple Store to get them. It's very responsive with just the right amount of "click" to it. I don't like the perfectly flat keys, but that isn't a deal killer for me. It's going to be nice to have a keyboard I can keep clean. I can't keep the previous Apple keyboard clean the way its designed w/ all the nooks and crannies for dust and dirt to fall into.

mike dunx

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
Central FL
i hope they come out with a "pro" version of the keyboard, or whatever they'd call it. i like the feel of the macbook pro keyboard more.