So how exactly do I set up a $10/month plan for a subsidized iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by l1c4, Sep 10, 2013.

1. l1c4 macrumors newbie

I've been reading for years about some little "trick" in which you establish a new line to obtain the newest iPhone at a subsidized rate and then put a random phone onto that line so that you only pay $10 a month.

My question is essentially how I would go about doing that if, say, I was interested in ordering one of the new iPhones later today. Any guidance would be appreciated.

2. VolceOntra macrumors 6502

VolceOntra

You upgrade to the iPhone, get a cheap non-smartphone and have them switch your service to that phone.

Obviously, you won't have service on the new iPhone unless you get it unlocked and use it with a cheaper carrier - but you probably won't be saving a lot.

3. l1c4 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I wouldn't be able to get a new iPhone and a new line, put an old phone on that line for $10/month and switch the new iPhone to the line on which I currently have my iPhone 5?

4. keitarou macrumors 6502

What Carrier?

5. l1c4 thread starter macrumors newbie

AT&T. Sorry, I should have specified that.

6. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I suspect you are referring to adding an additional line to a family plan, which typically costs $10/month with certain plans. This requires you to either already be on a family plan or an eligible single plan with the correct carrier. With AT&T you can't be on the cheapest single plan, nor on the new style family plan.

What carrier and plan do you currently have? Also, doing this you would be paying an extra $240 ($10 X 24). It may be cheaper to just pay the early upgrade fee.

7. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

You would. I did it last year. I ordered the new iPhone with a new number (adding a new line of service to my account). On the day it was delivered, I had to call AT&T to have them switch it, which they screwed up, so I went into the store, where they were able to change my old number to the new iPhone and make an ooooooold dumbphone (battery won't even charge) the holder of the new number. I did call AT&T back later just to double-check that everything was OK and to lock down the dumbphone (limit it to calls only, no texting, no data whatsoever). My bill is around $106 a month with a FAN discount. The main benefit to this is being able to upgrade subsidized every launch.

8. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Yup. Simple. Just add a new line. You can do it online during the pre-order.

The only catch is that you cannot be on the new(er) data share plans or else you will pay $30/mo for the dumbphone. I can't wait for AT&T to change that pricing scheme.

9. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Sure you can do this. You will have a 2 year contract on the "new line", so $240.

10. keitarou macrumors 6502

Don't forget the fees and taxes on that new line every month. That's is about 5 dollars so another 100 bucks. Like rusty said, why not just pay the early upgrade fee which is about the same.

11. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Oh yeah, forgot to add that--it absolutely won't work if you have a data share plan. You'll get stuck with a $30/month bill for the dumbphone minimum.

12. l1c4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of your help; every comment was appreciated and offered valuable information.

The plan is not currently shared with anyone at all so I assume I don't have a shared data plan, so I guess the $10/month thing would work after all. However, when factoring the taxes that raise it to $15/month at 24 months, it does seem like paying $XXX upfront would probably be better than paying $360 over the course of two years. I guess I'll just have to do the math once the phone launches to determine it.

13. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Amazing what people will do just to have the latest and greatest products.