So, how loud is the new MBP when pushed? Noisy fans or nice and quiet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by useme2305, Jun 16, 2012.

1. useme2305 macrumors member

the thread title says it all.

there were quite a few complaints regarding the heat of the 2011 MBPs when they were pushed to the limits and therefore the noisy fans.

so has this changed at all with the new ivy bridge cpu?

no honeymoon replies please.

if you thought the 2011 macbook pro was quiet enough for musicians with the cpu in moderate to heavy use don't even bother to reply.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From what I've read from the reviews its not all that much quieter. A little bit but when pushed its not silent

Edit: Here's one such review: engadget

3. angelsguardian macrumors regular

The 2012 13" is much cooler and quieter. I had a 2011 13" and when running Handbrake the temp was up to around 90 and fans around 6000rpm. The 2012 goes to around 60 and the fan about 3000 and VERY nearly silent. I was really surprised and has been worth the change (14 day exchange) on it's own.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

When pushed hard the noise is less than a non RMBP but you can still hear it for sure. During non-stress use it's the faintest of whispers.

5. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I suspect it may be running cooler due to the IB processors, which do not have to be pushed as hard to run tasks. = less load = less heat.

Try running something intensive enough to run up the fans to the same level as that on your old Pro- is it any quieter?

6. angelsguardian macrumors regular

Nothing I do seems to push it any harder lol. All I can say is doing EXACTLY the same task as on the 2011 results in the heat and fan results above which are significantly lower.

7. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

8. useme2305 thread starter macrumors member

can it play 1080p youtube vids without the fans ramping up?

how about eyetv 1080i live television without the fans ramping up?

these kind of tasks it has to be able to do quietly until i'll consider buying one.

9. angelsguardian macrumors regular

Just played 1080p Django trailer on youtube. Temp 40, fan 2000 and silent, CPU 7%. Eyetv, no idea I use a TV for TV ;)

10. useme2305 thread starter macrumors member

how well does it handle this?
    http://vimeo.com/36298660

how smooth are the motions of the stars in this? any lag or fan noise?
    any skipped frames like on the mac mini server?

11. angelsguardian macrumors regular

Once buffered temp 46 fan 2000 processor 17% no perceptible noise. Movement perfect on all counts.

12. zurichuk macrumors regular

That runs perfectly on my MBP 2009 5.3 model, (but CPU 82, fans 4500) I'd be extremely disappointed if the RMBP has issues with it when it eventually ships

13. useme2305 thread starter macrumors member

that's very good news!

14. MacBookProzak macrumors regular

I can totally back up what is said here, expect I am pushing large videos through FCPX to Compressor 4. This 2012 runs way cooler except I have been running about 53-55c with the fan barely kissing 3000 rpm, whereas my 2011 MBP was always running at 6000 rpm and alot hotter under the same load.

In this thread I have been talking about my experience with the 2012 MBP and the upgrades I have made to it with the results if this info can help assist in either getting on not getting the 2012 MBP
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1386040

15. angelsguardian macrumors regular

Good thread there, was just reading. Mine is a base model with 4gb RAM (8gb on the way) and I'm pretty impressed with the difference and glad I changed as my 2011 was within 14 days for an exchange.

As someone that doesn't really keep up with every nook and cranny of difference in the machines what do we think has made such a difference?

16. useme2305, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

useme2305 thread starter macrumors member

would be great if more people contributed to this thread.

everyone who has a new macbook pro 2012....play the test video from my earlier post in full screen. how warm does the MBP get and do the fans ramp up at get loud?

play the video multiple times in a row to assure reliable test results.
    http://vimeo.com/36298660

17. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

My 13" does not get particularly warm (at least not uncomfortably so) and I did not hear the fans at all. In fact... I don't think I've really heard the fans yet; and I've had it since Monday. I don't do anything very intensive, but I did play a couple of games at their full resolution for quite a bit of time and had no noise and no heat.

18. useme2305 thread starter macrumors member

so ivy bridge DOES seem to run much cooler. i'm excited.

any more people wiling to share their experience regarding this topic?

19. Ben8472 macrumors member

with these test results ill definitly go for a 2012 model and might just replace my current nehalem i5-750 desktop computer :)))

20. Mr. Retrofire, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

All video decoding tests are useless, because many video decoders (VLC, QTX, Flash Player) use a special hardware unit to accelerate the decoding. Even a 9400M IGP in a three years old MBP can decode 1080p H.264 streams in real time via Apples VDA framework (Safari HTML5, QuickTime X).

If a machine cannot decode a video in real time, then this can be also a memory problem (not enough RAM). I had this problem on many older machines. A restart of the machine helped.

21. leenak macrumors 68020

It is funny that I was reading posts about fan noise last night but I couldn't do any tests because my husband was using his computer in the same room. His computer sounds like an airplane taking off.

Testing this morning, I haven't detected any fan noise.

22. dreamtenstudios macrumors member

I had a 2010 i7 and the fan would get pretty loud and had a whiny pitch to it. The new retina definitely quieter in comparison, but it's not silent by any means. It does sound a lot more muffled and the whiny pitch is gone.

23. useme2305 thread starter macrumors member

i'm actually more interested in the non-retina MBP.

does anyone know of an easy test to make it easy for everyone to test how hot/loud the new MBP gets?

24. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

Just realized this is for non retina. Oh well retina peeps read this one:

I didn't read all the replies BUT

The one I have is very quiet - Retina Macbook

I had Diablo 3 running full blast and the fans were one full blast BUT

They were considerably MORE quiet than my 2011 17" pro

The end