So how many apps will be 4" ready?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stayfly2407, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

The bigger screen is gonna be great, but i wonder how many apps will support it on day one, because i don't want those black bars on all of my apps:rolleyes:

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It's a pretty simple change for many apps. I know Instapaper and Instacast have already submitted their updates.

Games will take longer, and I expect most older games will never be updated.

3. TG1, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

Very few, I would imagine. I'm thinking of jumping on the iPhone 5 bandwagon a couple months later for this reason and also to allow the accessory makers to come up with some good stuff (cases, chargers, etc). And of course, to avoid the madness that accompanies any iPhone launch. :D

4. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I'd say most "big time" apps will be ready. Thinks like TweetBot, Facebook, Instagram. Any app that is basically a scrolling list with toolbars is incredibly easy to update.

For a properly built app with no "magic numbers" (hardcoded screen size values) it mainly requires a recompile with the new SDK.

But Apple did change some things in the iOS 6 SDK that could cause incompatibilities that may take longer to fix (The apps on the app store will work, just not the binaries the developer is working on.)

I updated my game Rocket Chimp and submitted last night, took only an hour or so. The main problem will be the app review queue, which is probably going to be jam packed. Hopefully they upped their review staff for the next month or so...

My guess is you will start to see 4" iPhone support updates coming in early next week. Of course a large majority will probably still be in review unfortunately.