So I’m confused.... Help me understand

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ibpod, Sep 16, 2010.

1. ibpod macrumors member

I was searching the internet and twitter. Will this JB that’s coming out soon JB and unlock the 4.1? I think I read that it won’t. Help me understand.

2. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Jailbreaks do not equal unlocks. But unlocks need jailbreaks. We know a jailbreak is coming for 4.1 but there's no word on an unlock.

3. ibpod thread starter macrumors member

So if I have an iphone and I’m not an At&t customer I can’t use it until the unlock comes? Does the unlock usually follow pretty quickly?

So jailbreak means you have to be a At&t customer?

4. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Yes you need the unlock to use the phone on any other network than the one your phone is locked to. We have no idea about a forthcoming unlock. I personally believe the dev team has one but officially nothing has been said. It could be a few weeks or a few months. And no jailbreaking has nothing to do with which network you're with, anyone can jailbreak.

5. Claude626 macrumors 6502

Here's how it works... well, not EXACTLY, but from the big picture, it works like this:

iPhone -> iOS 4.1/4.2 -> baseband

- Jailbreak = hack iOS 4.1/4.2
    - unlock = hack baseband
    - Because baseband is burried under iOS, you must hack iOS first(jailbreak) before you can mess with baseband(unlock)

6. faaiz90 macrumors newbie

what is unlock???
    and
    what is jailbreak???
    and
    what is baseband???

7. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

it's all a lie

8. ibpod thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! This helped a lot. I’m new to the JB/Unlock world. Again thank you

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

the 4.1 Jailbreake is just that a Jailbreake, Unlocking the phone is a totally difference process that required jailbreak to even start working on it.

10. faaiz90 macrumors newbie

what meant lie???
    i wan to know what different of this....

11. ajones46 macrumors 6502

I don't think we'll see a JB for OS4.1. Whats the point in making a jailbreak for it when OS 4.2 will be released in what, 2-3 more weeks now?

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You got it buddy, it did seen like a troll question,but if you really want to know.

Unlock = Unlocking the radio baseband so the phone can connect to multiple Carrier networks (not only the one that sold it) in the US the iPhone is lock (meaning it can only be use on that network) to AT&T. Unlocking it allow to use it on the only other network that support GSM - T-Mobile.

Jailbrake = Full read/write/execute access to the root partition of the file system, by default Apple only allow you to access a small part of the file system, commonly knows as "userland" (it resemable a lot like a jail, you are limited to a tiny space, also the actual program that is use is call CHROOT JAIL from UNIX/BSD system). Jailbreaking is braking that limitation and have full access to everything

Baseband = is the firmware on the radio itself, that one that contain the network stack in order to comunicate/transmit and receipt to and from the towers

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

We will see a 4.1 jailbrake, and 4.2 will be here on November (maybe even late Nov) that is about ~ 10 weeks away.

14. faaiz90 macrumors newbie

thanx very much for u explanation....