So I bought a macbook air in late 2010 and half a year later there is a refresh ???

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by signal4, Aug 2, 2011.

1. signal4 macrumors newbie

Is there anyone else who bought the redesigned macbook air in late 2010 really pissed off that half a year or so later, Apple comes out with a newer macbook air.... Im kinda feeling ripped off since I got mine in December of 2010.......

2. simsaladimbamba

Really? Would you have waited, since this update has been expected at least since the 2010 MBA has been released?
    But I guess you have an agenda with your comical post.

3. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Your model was released in October of 2010, which is about 9 months ago, give or take. Surely, you must know that technology is forever changing. The company had to keep up with the competition, as most do. If your MBA is still functioning and getting tasks like before, you shouldn't feel any remorse. You have a great machine nonetheless.

4. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Apple update nearly every of there products on a year cycle....

So thats not really a valid reason to be annoyed :S.... if you knew that they update their products every year (Which seems logical to me to keep up to date)

So... you bought it 6 months into its release hence a new one came out 6 months later.

/issue void

5. tekkietekkie macrumors member

I feel ripped to and I haven't even bought the 2011 MBA yet since I already know there will be another one coming out in the future.

6. PaulWog Suspended

Hey everybody, let's never buy anything so we never get ripped off again!

If we see a product we like and we go out to buy it, we should know that we'll instantly not like it as soon as a new product is out. Because somehow that new product will magically make the old product work less functionally.

I fear the day that the next Macbook Air is released. My 2011 Macbook Air will instantly be unable to run word processing applications as smoothly, I will instantly have less storage for all my music, and instantly I will get less framerates than I did when I first got my Macbook Air!

[/rolls eyes]

7. VMMan macrumors 6502a

How dare Apple not consult any of us before updating their (or should I say OUR) MBA.

8. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I bought mine at the end of February. I don't feel ripped off. It is still a great machine and does everything I need very well. In this day of age with technology you better get over keeping up with the updates for wants, and only update when you really need to. I plan on keeping mine at least 2 more years before I consider the next update.

9. pickleydoo macrumors newbie

To the OP:

I feel like if you sold your Late 2010 MBA today you could make a good percentage of it back and put it towards one of the new ones. Think of it as leasing a laptop. :)

10. signal4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmmm well Ri0ku actually I bought my MBA less than 2 months into its refresh as I stated... so your response is VOID !!!

2nd generation MBA came out in mid 2008 .... refreshed in mid 2009, but still second generation, until generation 3 MBA came out in late 2010....so that throws out the year to year refresh.

PaulWog you must have enough money to blow on MAC products to get new ones every time they are updated.... good for you !!! (eyes doing complete 360 rolls)....

VMMAN... Im sure all the people who got extremely pissed off at Apple thought that very thing when they dropped the price of the 1st generation Iphone from $500 to way less.

And for those who cant read ...this post was intended for people who actually bought the late 2010 MBA is as in the 1st sentence

"Is there anyone else who BOUGHT the redesigned macbook air in late 2010"

I did not come hear for smart asses

So the only person who should have an opinion is IngerMan which he expressed

11. signal4 thread starter macrumors newbie

pickleydoo... I checked with the Mac Mall buy back program and they would give me $400 for it... not really worth that option... I guess ebay or something like that is always an option.... thank you for not being a smart ass

12. kamuix macrumors regular

i got my 2010 mba in feb after my mbp died. i knew the revision coming, but i didn't really care. just seeing how sleek it was made me want it right then and there. i'm glad i bought it rather than waiting a couple of months. it was my decision to buy it, and i'm not really unhappy about it. i mean with the new revision out, it'll just let new ppl join the mba family and they can potentially share helpful insights. the more the merrier.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sell it, buy a new one. You are not ripped off, your mac still works as it always has done. The refresh has not changed that. Any perceived impedance of your macs ability after the refresh is entirely in your own head.

It's life, let it go. Enjoy the MacBook air you have. Many folks would be delighted to have one regardless of whether it was a 2008,9 or 10 model...

14. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I bought the first generation iPhone on the first day of availability. I believe it was $599 though.

I remember they dropped the price some time afterwards but quite honestly, I liked my iPhone too much to care. It didn't take away from my enjoyment at all.

I bought my 2011 MBP 17" knowing that a major refresh to the MB Pro lineup was probably going to come soon afterwards and couldn't be any happier if they were to make a better version of it soon.

I enjoy my current 2011 MBA 11" immensely and am looking forward to the next version, whenever it should be available. That's not to say I will definitely buy it, but I like technology too much for me to want the entire industry or at least Apple to stay stagnant just for me to feel like my device is "new".

15. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

If you buy a PC laptop, they release a new one in 3 months. ;)

I ignored anything with an ancient Core 2 Duo CPU in 2010 ;)

16. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Yes, a yearly cycle, that's why I have my one-month old iPhone 5 with me already? :D

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I bought a car and 6 months later they came out with a new model!!

I feel totally ripped off. Anyone else? Can I get Ford to give me a new model?

18. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Half a year is a long time in this industry. Samsung released series 9 laptop in March/April and they updated specs with lower price points in July. That was 3 months in time frame.

Apple usually updates their products in every 9-10 months on notebooks and desktops.

19. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

The release of a new Revision is not making your older MacBook any worse.
    You were not ripped off. And waiting for a new product all the time can cause you to get stuck in the infamous n+1 waiting cycle.

Yes a yearly cycle, GIVE or TAKE.

Sometimes 9 or 10 months, sometimes 14, like it is with the iPhone.

20. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

welcome to the cycle of chasing the latest technology ... you win some and you lose some

21. franko v, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

franko v macrumors member

franko v

I'm a lucky SOB

I feel your pain - but I really lucked out -

I bought mine in Nov 2010 - and I had no thoughts about remorse for a number of reasons:

1) I knew there were rumors of a mid-2011 MBA a few months into the new year.

2) I loved my MBA - it was a dream computer.

When the rumors begin gaining steam in early July, I decided to put my MBA on Craigslist just to see what I could get for my 1.86/4GB/128 SSD 13" MBA.

I posted it for $1200 (I originally paid $1339 from MacMall) and I was offered $1000 - too low for me. I waited patiently as the original rumor release date of mid-July passed. Then on Monday, July 18, a bite. We met that night, and agreed on $1075, but would have to meet again the next day, as I hadn't erased the drive. The following day, we met at my work, and after a half hour of answering all her questions, the transaction was complete.

Seconds later I deposited the money. A few seconds after that, she had buyer's remorse (the one question she forgot to ask was if the keyboard was backlit). I told her it was too late.

And, fortunately, the very next day, the new MBAs went on sale.

Every penny of that $1075 went to the new MBA (1.7/4GB/256 SSD).

It was like a rented a loaner for eight months at a cost of $264, AND it only cost me just under $600 out of pocket for the new one.

So no regrets whatsoever - even if I hadn't have made the sale.

If you play it right, things fall into place.

Needless to say, my old MBA is now worth $200 less than when I sold it two weeks ago...

22. misterneums macrumors 6502

I'm actually wondering how you didn't see this coming. Apple has definitely been updating it's most popular products on a yearly or less basis. The 2010 revision of the MacBook Air was highly popular. It changed the Air from being an ultraportable novelty--to an ultraportable workstation. It sold. It sold a lot.

And based on all of this, you didn't expect them to update it on a faster schedule. There's a reason why the Mac Pro is updated so infrequently, while more popular things like iPhones/Pads/Pods/MBP's are updated yearly.

But by all means, be angry with Apple because they want to be a successful company, make money, and most importantly--keep the majority of Apple consumers happy.

23. withoutyou macrumors newbie

withoutyou

Better read buyer's guide next time you are going to make a purchase then!

24. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

So you knowingly rooked a newbie on Craigslist and you are now bragging about how fortunate you were? Sorry, I'd keep that particular story to myself. ;)

Not to say you did anything wrong, just a tad distasteful to me personally. But hey, you got your new MBA ! :apple:

EDIT: On a side note, thank you for convincing me to not make any major purchases on Craigslist! :)

25. franko v macrumors member

franko v

There was nothing shady about the sale.

The buyer herself admitted as much.

At the time of sale, I sold it for only $55 above market value.

It was good fortune -