Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greatone101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2012
So i just bought my first Apple Product the new ipad and i got a few questions about it.

1. Are there any good web browsers that can stream good quality video? The videos i have streamed so far on safari wasnt good quality. I was getting better quality streams with my Asus Transformer when i had it.

2. I know you can hook up a PS3 controller via Blue Tooth on android tablets, any way to do it on Ipad3?

3. I pretty much want my ipad to be a laptop replacement, any apps i can use to get the best experience?

4. How can i put video files like .avi or mkv on the ipad?

5. So i did jailbreak my ipad but if i want to restore it, i can still do it the regular way via itunes?

6. Is the tablet suppose to get noticeably hot on the opposite side of the volume buttons when gaming?

Any other tips/advice for a new ipad3 owner?

bcam117

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
1. I would also like to know that .
2. Possible with jailbreak, for wii controller at least http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/05/jailbreak-ipad-play-snes-games-with-wii-remote-controller.html
3. iFile (jailbreak), Dropbox etc. depends what you need, there are torrent apps too.
4. CineXplayer, and then either through stupid iTunes media transfer or probably there is an easier way once jailbroken.
5. DO not restore it from within the iPad itself, as in don't go Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Contents and Settings. I tried it and got stuck. You HAVE TO restore it from iTunes to unjailbreak it apparently.
6. Yes it's meant to get warn, quite warm.

If I had to give advice it would be don't expect it to be android, coming from android I had to get used to doing things differently. Also jailbreak.

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
1. Some Video players, like Azul, have a web browser built-in, see #4. I just checked Azul, and it seems to handle 1080p streaming just fine.

3. In what do you want it to replace laptop?
If you meant to use Office files, I have Quickoffice(HD, pro). I haven't used it much yet, but it does handle most of Microsoft Office files. It's just missing some of the advanced operations.
You might also check out Apples suite of Pages, Numbers, etc.

4. Video Players like Goodplayer, Azul, and AVPlayerHD are good for playing non-native video types. For what I've used of them AVPlayerHD seems to give the most control. The main way to import the videos is through iTunes. Check out this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1376951/.

6. I haven't had any heat problems, but I keep my brightness to less than 50%.

Youtube can help sometimes, if you can find videos of people using the different apps. Before I get an app, I usually search for it's name in Youtube to see if there are any reviews. Just note the age of the video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.