So I can't download a 20MB+ Podcast...but I can stream it...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhazonUK, Sep 7, 2010.

1. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I was on my lunch break at work today (work at Tesco) and I went to listen to the latest Engadget podcast but for some reason my iTunes had not been updating it (still updated the other podcast, Drunk Tank, fine). So I went to iTunes to download it and it told me I could not download it over 3G as it was over 20MB...so I hit the title of the podcast on the list and instead it streamed it.
    I don't see what the difference is in me downloading a 68MB podcast and it streaming it to me. Also, when I tried to listen again it resumed from where I left off, the same as it would on my iPhone. AND the progress bar across the top was mostly filled in meaning it had downloaded more of it and kept it downloaded.
    What's the point?

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Sssshhhhhhh........ We don't want certain people knowing about this feature and limiting the streaming option as well. Just play it cool man ......

3. shandyman Suspended

streaming will be lower quality than the downloaded version.

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Even if it is at the same quality you are not sucking up as much bandwith at any given moment in time. Those 68 megs is spread out over the entire pod cast. Instead of it slamming the network at max speed for a few mins while it downloads. It is easier on the network over all because you do not push the peak load as high for a long.
    Remember the network is designed for peak load so the goal is to keep peak load as low as possible. Total usage does not matter. Just peak load.