So... I can't use an 8800 GT from Apple in my 2007 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by EricTheRed71, Jan 18, 2008.

1. EricTheRed71 macrumors member

I'll be straight up here.... I don't use my Mac Pros to run OSX. In fact I don't think I've even booted into OSX more than 5 times in total all the time I've had them.

I'm running x64 specifically for 3dsmax & really wanted to upgrade the graphic cards so was obviously excited about the 8800 GT.

It doesn't work - now what?

I've read that you can take literally any PC PCIe card and it will work under Windows. Is this correct? I really couldn't give a sh*t if it works in OSX or not. If I need to use OSX I can always put the 7300 back in but it's so rare to be not an issue.

So... 2 questions:

1. do all cards work under Windows?

2. what's the best "bang for buck" on the PC side at the moment?

cheers!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Yes, you can pretty much install any card you want in Microsoft Windows XP or Vista.

The current bang for the buck are, incidentally, the Geforce 8800GT and the Radeon HD 3870.

4. Toups macrumors regular

I can tell you in windows the 8800 series are great as I have a 8800GTS 768MB and it is great. Then again I am going to be selling the PC and all its goodness to make room for the Mac Pro, which I plan to order the 8800 once it comes off backorder.

5. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

Out of curiosity, why did you purchase a Mac Pro if you don't use OS X?

Is it for the solid build quality and sleek design?

6. EricTheRed71 thread starter macrumors member

I do use OSX... just not on these Mac Pros!

We are still running the original 1,8Ghz G5s for Photoshop, Illustrator etc. A couple of iMacs as well. Plenty fast enough!

We've had this discussion here before & no doubt someone will disagree but I think the Mac Pro is great value as a PC workstation with the added bonus of being able to run OSX if needed. Add to that the ease of ugrading RAM, HD along with the fact that they are quiet and cheap, cheap, cheap! :)