So i did the 16gb upgrade to my iMac 21'5 2011... And it runs great, but... HOT!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Daikyouju, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Daikyouju macrumors member

Daikyouju

2. The-Pro macrumors 65816

That shouldnt be the result from new RAM.

Check activity monitor for any running processes that are hogging the cpu.
    Make sure you select "all processes" instead of "my processes", then click the %CPU bar so that processes are listed from the most to the least.

It might be a coincidence that some process is running in the background

3. Daikyouju thread starter macrumors member

Daikyouju

Of course I did this, but it still is hotter than before! Strange or normal?

4. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

WELL first did you have a pair of 2gb sticks that total to 4gb.

second do you think it is hotter or do you have a program with temp detection? a free one is Istats widget

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/istatpro.html

in theory the ram can pull more power 4 sticks vs 2 sticks has to be 4 more watts as a minimum. I would down load istats and check the temps with old ram and new ram. just to be sure there really is a difference. if it is warmer.

I would use 2 sticks of the new vs 2 sticks of the old this should not be warmer. If it is warmer by a lot it may mean the new ram is power hungry. I know for a fact that a 64gb ssd from kingston runs warmer then a 64gb ssd from samsung. I own both ssds and have done watts and temp comparisons. ram sticks and ssds are very much alike. it is possible that the kingston pulls more watts then your oem ram.

5. Daikyouju thread starter macrumors member

Daikyouju

I never used a temp detection program, I will try it now, but I,m too lazy to remove the new ram and install back the old elpida modules.

However, Kingston module is labeled in the sticker as 1.5v.