So I finally gave in and returned my 6 - but now my 4S is too small!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Nov 6, 2014.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

I am a dreadful decision maker, I have no qualms about that. But a $700 device warrants a fair assessment.

When I first bought it it was a bit awkward to hold coming from a 4S, but I decided to give myself time to adjust. After a couple weeks, I had definitely adapted to it but it still wasn't quite as comfortable as the 4S. I took it back to the Apple Store where I discovered that I was a day late; the day you receive the device counts as day 1. Not to worry, AT&T gave me the go ahead to send it back to them and so I printed out the return label and tried for another few days to see if I got used to it any more. If not, I planned to buy a 5S off eBay, which I thought would be a happy medium.

I was practically 50/50 - loved the phone and how smooth it felt and how fast it was, but still wasn't 100% used to the width and one handed use. I finally mailed it back, and upon going back to my 4S it instantly felt too small!! I found myself squinting to see the text on it and even using it felt weird. I feel like even a 5S would feel/look too small now.

I know I know, I'm crazy. Now I'm debating calling and having the post office in TX recall the delivery and send it back to me.

I'm just trying to figure out - am I just wanting it because it's gone now or did I really get used to and can't go back to the tiny 4S/5S? Sorry so long this is honestly one of the toughest times I've had making a decision.

2. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Sounds like remorse. Oh well, good luck on whatever you decide to do.

3. YungMoola94 macrumors regular

Post office can't recall delivery. You'll have to buy another one. Get a 5S that's your best option since it's in the middle of two.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Sounds like you focused too much on your pre-conceived notions of how big the 6 would be, and not enough on how much you were enjoying the device and the benefits of the 6 over the 4S.

5. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, thanks. Probably is.

----------

They gave me a recall form to fill out which I assume they fax to the receiving post office. Does this not work? If not, can't I call the post office and have them return it? I would just buy another one but I had just updated it to 8.1 and was planning to jailbreak, I don't want to risk getting a phone with 8.1.1 or 8.0.x after signing has stopped.

----------

Yeah I think so too. I wonder if the 5S will be too small for me now too?

6. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

There is probably some scientific name that explains your personality type. Lolz, but you need to relax. It's just a phone. In 12 to 18 months I hope you'll be over this 'toughest time' and this will be all but a distant memory.

As to what you should do. Buy another iPhone 6??? but given the time you've lost you may as well wait for the 6s now. I hear it will be coming with a 3D screen.

7. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

Did you send it back by UPS? If so, then you can request the package to be sent back to you

8. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Haha it's called dysfunctional! But yeah, you think the 5S will be too small for me too or do you think when I get the 6 I'll have the same problems with it again and I'm just remembering it more fondly?

9. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Get the 6+.
    Lets restart the debate with a whole different choice set? :p

But seriously, just get the 6 and be happy.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Returning to the 4S is like taking two steps back. Try the 5s, as some here have gone back to it with no problems.

11. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Whether you like it or not.. the 6/6+ are the newest devices. I could spend an hour giving reasons why the 5S/4S were better but the reality is the user experience is better on a newer device. Just go new and forget everything else ;)

12. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm either getting a 5S or a 6, 4S is not coming back. I'm just using it temporarily while I drive myself insane trying to decide.

----------

Yeah. Do you think after next year the 6 will be the standard size too and they'll discontinue the 5S?

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I think you should get the 6 again and just enjoy it. Stop trying to nitpick every little detail, stop comparing it to the 4S. So what if you have to learn how to do a few things differently than you did on the 4S, it ain't gonna kill you.

14. newellj macrumors 601

I had a 5 and a 5S (personal and business) that I used together. I upgraded the 5 to a 6, thinking I'd give the 6 a try but probably return it for another 5S.

I loved the 6's slightly bigger screen and keyboard so much that I bit the bullet and bought another 6 out of contract. The 5S was driving me crazy - felt too small. I can't even imagine going back to a 4/4S screen.

So, no, I don't think you're crazy, and I don't think it's just lust for the latest.

15. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

If I can't recall the return and I have to buy a new one, are they still on backorder or will I get it relatively quickly? Could I walk into AT&T and buy one? How about the Apple Store? Lastly, what version of iOS will it have? If I can get it before they stop signing iOS 8.1 I'll be golden but if 8.1.1 comes out I'll be screwed.

16. mercuryjones, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Maybe
    Probably not
    Yes (get there early)
    8.1 most likely
    Considering how wishy washy you are though, you should probably just wait.

17. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

AT&T states it's available to ship in 7 days. I received a phone yesterday and it arrived with 8.1 installed.

18. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Is there any chance they'll have it stocked at any of the AT&T stores?

19. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

apple will not discontinue the 5s for at least 2 years.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Why ask us? Call your local at&t store to find out.

21. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I did, no answer at any of the 4 in my area. They never answer.

22. mercuryjones macrumors 6502a

Okay. Still, how are we supposed to know what your AT&T stores have in stock?
    If they don't answer, then maybe you should just order online or go into the store and see for yourself. While you are there, ask them why they don't answer their phones.

23. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I just realized I am not eligible for the Next upgrade bc they haven't received my return yet, so I either have to buy it cash and return it once I'm eligible and rebuy it with the Next plan or wait.

----------

Haha ya

24. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

I understand your feeling. I came from a iPhone 5 to the 6 and I'm having to adapt to a new reality, but the truth is that smaller phones are on the verge of obsolete since the new trend is bigger so for the sake of the future you might as well just adapt

25. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, I won't be able to get anything smaller than 6 pretty soon