So I gave up my unlimited plan today/tired of being throttled

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ryanhdd, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

I was tired of my new iPhone 6 plus being slow. I was in Chicago and Madison WI this past week and my phone (one more thing I was on LTE the whole time)took forever to load maps, surf the web and pretty much anything data wise. I have been noticing this before. I texted for an hour or so with the AT&T rep, I asked flat out if I was being throttled. He pretty much said well you have gone over the 5gig a month data rate and they throttle if that happens. I have only done this for two months out of being with them for like 10years, I use my phone normally. No large downloads, I am on wifi at work and home all day. So I said screw it. I am still not happy about giving up unlimited because of the whole point of it. I went with the 10gig a month share plan. Its just one phone on it. anyway I hate AT&T, I should have gone to Verizon, but they are all just another big business making tons of money off us. So I guess it really does not matter.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's why ATT throttled, to move people off the unlimited plan. I suspect that the number of people still on the unlimited plan is rather small.

Good luck with your new iPhone 6 and unthrottled plan :)

3. Appleloves22 macrumors 6502

Appleloves22

Did the same thing two days ago. No more "unlimited."

4. bgro macrumors 6502a

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I use between 3 and 6GB each month due to images I must send my customers. Have never been throttled.:rolleyes:

Keeping my unlimited plan.:cool:

I love AT&T!:apple:

6. bluer101 macrumors regular

I have never been throttled until last month and had my grandfather plan since 2007. I changed over to the 30 gb shared plan. No more slowdowns here.

7. jordonez1372 macrumors newbie

Holding on to my unlimited data plan, you never know what AT&T is going to come up with to Verrizon's easing off data throttle.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Well, if those are your needs I guess you made the right choice. As for me, I'm still on unlimited until AT&T releases an individual plan that gives me at least 6GB of full speed data for the same price I'm paying now.

My throttling experience is different though. I'm over this month (and being throttled) and I'm still able to load maps, use the web, and stream radio without a problem and without much of a slow down. I'm even able to stream on Hulu with just a hair under HD resolution--so I think that there must be a difference in how its handled based on geographic location.

9. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

This should be illegal. Its strong arm bullying mob-like behavior meant to intimidate & frustrate people into switching plans. I am grandfathered into the AT&T unlimited data plan on my iPad mini carried over from my original ipad. I mostly use wifi at home...but do use cellular when commuting & travelling. Definitely notice when they throttle me. I won't quit my plan tho. It still comes in handy. And its nice to know they cannot overcharge me. Hoping the government steps in and makes such throttling of unlimited plans illegal sometime in the future.

10. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

May we all have a moment of silence for our fallen commrade :(

So you're paying $100/mo for 10gb of data + $40/mo for smartphone access? :eek:

Cricket wireless has a $55/mo plan for 10gb of data w/ unlimited talk & text. No taxes or fees either. Uses the AT&T network so you don't even have to unlock your AT&T iPhone 6. Might wanna check it out...

11. itjw macrumors 65816

If you are an individual there is no excuse I can think of to stay with AT&T.

Family plans are the only thing of reasonable value they have.

I have 40GB bucket after giving back my unlimited plan. I have no regrets, but for 10GB? At that pricing?

I'd be a sad panda...

12. KPOM macrumors G5

Can you tether on it? That's my biggest beef with AT&T. They don't allow tethering on the "unlimited" plans, even for an extra fee. I suspect eventually the FCC or market forces (i.e. Verizon) will pressure AT&T to lift the throttling cap eventually, particularly since they will be grandfathering people onto 30-100GB "share" plans and can't really use the "congestion" excuse anymore. But I don't see them adding tethering.

For now, I use a T-Mobile data plan for my iPad for hotspot, but would prefer the flexibility to use AT&T, as well.

13. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

The moment i activated the new iPhone 6 plus on my unlimited data, it was gone switched to 3 GB
    called ATT they opened case and say its take 2 week to get get it back if....
    they have ton of people with this problem.
    if i don't get my unlimited back I am going to Verizon in the north east they coverage is much better.
    CS said they don't care I can go any time they are making ton of money,
    my bill a month is over $200 4 family iPhones:(

14. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

You can if you are jailbroken (according to howardforums), not available stock though.

I sure hope you are right about ATT eventually lifting their 5gb throttling limit. I've never even come close to hitting it but it's nice knowing there aren't any overage fees and that even if I'm throttled I'll still have perfectly usable 3G/LTE speeds (around 500kbps - 1mbps), unlike some other carriers that throttle down to a paltry 128kbps :eek:

15. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

So you ended up paying $100 more for not being throttled

16. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Gave mine up last week and am on Mobil value share 40GB (was on 20) for 4 lines. Monthly bill will be $40-50 cheaper and we bought our new phones outright

17. Flight2345 macrumors newbie

Flight2345

18. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

You know what will be hilarious is all the folks will move to limited plan and then ATT drops the throttling. I can see the rage

19. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I've been throttled a total of 1 time since 2007 but I am thinking of switching to Tmo because of hotspot and real unlimited data.

20. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

Did the same thing yesterday. My brother and I got rid of the unlimited and we have 3 lines splitting 30gb now which saves money and negates the throttling.

21. 617aircav Suspended

30gb for 3 lines, i could not do it. I have used 21gb since getting my 6 plus.

22. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

reset your settings

23. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I'm praying that AT&T eases up on the throttling he way Verizon did.

24. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

That won't happen as ATT has already divulged itself into throttled whereas Verizon wanted to but didnt.

25. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

let see how ATT will count your data in the feature? will you trust:) them???